Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
voraciousreader
voraciousreader began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Copyrighted image removed by publisher

Though not Sony specific, I thought people might have seen this problem. I bought an ebook from Google, which is priced the same in Amazon. (kindle format). But, in the Google ebook, all images are replaced with "Copyrighted image removed by publisher". I downloaded free kindle preview and the images appears fine.

Now, I don't know if this is true for all google ebooks or a small percentage of it. Has anyone seen an explanation for this ?

Thanks much.
voraciousreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
The cover artwork is a separate item from the content of the book; in this case, Google wasn't willing to spring for it.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
voraciousreader

I was not talking about the cover, I am talking of images within the book. The text goes something like, "... as shown in Figure 1.1". And where the image is supposed to appear ""Copyrighted image removed by publisher" is displayed.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by voraciousreader View Post
I was not talking about the cover, I am talking of images within the book. The text goes something like, "... as shown in Figure 1.1". And where the image is supposed to appear ""Copyrighted image removed by publisher" is displayed.

Right. So Google paid for use of the cover artwork but not the images inside the book.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Its the same issue. The pictures, whether cover art or interior artwork, have their own independent copyrights. The rights to the text of the book may by be acquired or it may be public domain. The images apparently are still under copyright and Google hasn't obtained rights to them.

It's quite possible that the publisher of the Amazon offering has obtained the rights or is the copyright holder outright.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Why don't you contact google and ask them?
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Though not Sony specific, I thought people might have seen this problem. I bought an ebook from Google, which is priced the same in Amazon. (kindle format). But, in the Google ebook, all images are replaced with "Copyrighted image removed by publisher". I downloaded free kindle preview and the images appears fine.

Now, I don't know if this is true for all google ebooks or a small percentage of it. Has anyone seen an explanation for this ?

Thanks much.
Small percentage. I saw it once out of 'hundreds' of books. Not talking about covers - those are, at times, missing. But it's extremely rare to have figures missing.

The explanations above are likely correct - image copyright is often purchased separately.

If you contact them, I am sure you can get a refund, if that's what you want. If you are afraid of purchasing other books from Google - don't be, this doesn't happen usually.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry I misunderstood, but to me why bother printing a book without full rights? What's next - a character singing a copyrighted song with "UNAVAILABLE" instead of (permission obtained) lyrics?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
voraciousreader

Thanks everyone for the replies. I don't really care about cover pages at all, I just want to have the images to go with the text I am reading. After all, a picture is worth a 1000 words I have requested for a refund from Google. This was my first purchase from Google, hence my concern if this something that is to be "expected".
Old 10-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Sorry I misunderstood, but to me why bother printing a book without full rights? What's next - a character singing a copyrighted song with "UNAVAILABLE" instead of (permission obtained) lyrics?
The few times I have seen it happen, it's ex-post removal. Author puts a table in a book without proper copyright, publisher releases it, someone contacts the publisher about copyright violation, table is removed.

It has happened to me once in a textbook (I was one of the authors). I remember the editor had us sign a statement saying that either the tables/figures were ours or we had obtained proper copyright permission (don't recall the exact wording). Apparently, one of the other co-authors didn't take that very seriously...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Thanks for the followup!