Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #16
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Haven't heard of that one. Will have to check it out.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #17
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
The Nexus Prime will be manufactured by Samsung. The Nexus line is kinda like Google's flagship Android phone. The Nexus Prime is probably the first phone that will have Ice Cream Sandwich.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 06:08 AM   #18
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've heard of the Ice Cream Sandwich thing but no idea what it is.

I went to a shop today and tried the iPhone 4, Galaxy 2 and HTC 3D. I liked the HTC 3D photo ability but wouldn't use it much. I think I like the Galaxy 2 more than the iPhone 4. It is bigger, but I don't find it too big even though I'm a woman and my hands aren't huge. Wouldn't want it to be any bigger though. So at this stage I'd go the Galaxy 2 I think. I'll have to check when the Nexus Prime is supposed to come out to know if I'd want to wait that long.

Just checked, Prime is set to debut on October 11th so I can easily wait lol.

Last edited by Laura81; 10-06-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #19
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I have had a Samsung Galaxy S2 for a couple of months now.. and I love it. I will never go back to an iphone. A couple of friends also moved over to the Galaxy S2 after playing with mine they are also singing it's praises.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #20
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
I've heard of the Ice Cream Sandwich thing but no idea what it is.
Well, you take a sandwich and put some icecream on it! There you have an ice cream sandwich

It's the latest version of android, Google has a sweettooth!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #21
Laura81
Addict

LOL! Gotcha. So I guess instead of calling it Android 2.3 they're calling it Ice Cream Sandwich.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #22
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
LOL! Gotcha. So I guess instead of calling it Android 2.3 they're calling it Ice Cream Sandwich.
No Android 2.3 is Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich is Android 4.0.

The version numbers is the official name, the code names used are also versions but easier to remember.
If you notice every version of Android goes up by one letter in the alphabet.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #23
Laura81
Addict

Oh right, ok, thanks for the information
Old 10-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #24
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
No Android 2.3 is Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich is Android 4.0.

The version numbers is the official name, the code names used are also versions but easier to remember.
If you notice every version of Android goes up by one letter in the alphabet.
Yup, yup:

1.5 Cupcake
1.6 Donut
2.x Eclair
2.2 Froyo
2.3 Gingerbread
3.x Honeycomb
4.x Ice Cream Sandwich
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #25
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Yup, yup:

1.5 Cupcake
1.6 Donut
2.x Eclair
2.2 Froyo
2.3 Gingerbread
3.x Honeycomb
4.x Ice Cream Sandwich
Yup the Cupcake through gingerbread were made for phones. and honeycomb made for tablets (while some tablets have froyo and gingerbread they are usually heavily modified for tablets) and ice cream sandwich is googles attempt to have a univeral OS for both phones and tablets like IOS and Windows mobile 8. i hope its as big of an improvement as honeycomb was imho
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #26
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
I'm very interested in the iphone4s vs. android question, particularly with respect to security. I've been carrying a Samsung Moment for 2 years without major productivity/quality of life gains due to worries about data security on a phone that couldn't be updated past Eclair (only 5 months into its contract). I've also given up on exploring new apps b/c I don't want to spend time scrutinizing the permissions each one entails.
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #27
Laura81
Addict

Would the Samsung Galaxy S2 be able to be updated to Ice Cream Sandwich or would it be stuck on the one it is now?
Old 10-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #28
anthoreader
anthoreader is kind to children and small, furry animalsanthoreader is kind to children and small, furry animalsanthoreader is kind to children and small, furry animalsanthoreader is kind to children and small, furry animalsanthoreader is kind to children and small, furry animalsanthoreader is kind to children and small, furry animalsanthoreader is kind to children and small, furry animalsanthoreader is kind to children and small, furry animalsanthoreader is kind to children and small, furry animalsanthoreader is kind to children and small, furry animalsanthoreader is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony PRS-T1 or Kindle Touch
Quote:
Would the Samsung Galaxy S2 be able to be updated to Ice Cream Sandwich or would it be stuck on the one it is now?
Depending on phone manufacturers all Android phones that meet the hardware spec are capable of upgrading to Ice Cream Sandwich, and beyond.

Samsung has been known to release the latest firmware for those willing to self-upgrading their phones, though it requires technological expertise (and jailbreaking your phone).

SGS2 hardware-wise should be able to support ICS sometime in the future.
anthoreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #29
Laura81
Addict

Thanks. I currently have no idea how to jailbreak a phone, etc but I can learn. Anyway, still happy to wait for the Nexus Prime but I'm guessing it'll end up out of my price range.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #30
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
For reading get the largest screen size you can comfortably fit in your pants' pockets. The practical limit for men seems to be 5-5.5".
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote