Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #16
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
True, but I doubt Amazon considers themselves in that boat.
Well considering Amazon is their tablet with 2.2 and Google will be releasing 4.0 in the same month, maybe they should

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #17
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Well Rock, the fist thing this techie would tell you is to learn how to read .

I never said Amazon would fork, I don't have a crystal ball so I would not presume to know what direction Amazon will choose. I just listed the two routs Amazon could take and what kind of work it would require for developers and Amazon alike

If Amazon did fork however it would become it's own OS. Just like OS X branched from BSD to become it's own OS and just like Android branched from Linux to become it's own OS.

=X=
Actually, Mr. 24th letter of the alphabet, I did read. I read THIS:

Quote:
And this is where things get really interesting. As anticipated, Amazon has forked Android to build their own version for the Kindle. Simply put: it looks nothing like the Android you’re used to seeing.
The writer actually went hands on with this device. I thought that YOU had read the article and so knew what you were talking about. Won't make that mistake again.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #18
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Well considering Amazon is their tablet with 2.2 and Google will be releasing 4.0 in the same month, maybe they should

=X=
That's only true if Amazon releases a mere 2.2 Tablet, on par with the Velocities and Viewsonics. I just find that hard to believe.

I will be curious to see how many tablet vendors actually have had access to 4.0, besides, of course, Motorola.

2.2 was released over a year ago? Damn.

Last edited by kjk; 09-07-2011 at 09:00 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:12 AM   #19
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:

=X=
If it's a forked OS then I would think that those version distinctions become not quite as significant.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #20
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
If it's a forked OS then I would think that those version distinctions become not quite as significant.
Unless there is incompatibility. 4.0 is introducing a lot of changes, seeking to bring 2.x and 3.x together. 3.x (Honeycomb) is a fork from 2.x that sought to change much to make more usable for tablets, and 2.x (from Froyo and Gingerbread) was meant to be designed for lower end devices, or devices with smaller displays. Several new APIs are being introduced to further help this marriage, so developers can make one app that works equally well for both tablets and phones (unlike how Apple has iPad only versions of iOS apps). Due to the large amounts of changes, and new APIs meant to ease developer issues arising from tablets and phones, I foresee many apps being only compatible with Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) and later.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #21
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Yes you are correct, for the short term they do make a difference since developers will not have to do much to support both platforms. As the fork continues however there will be a time where the devs might have to chose what platform to support.

=X=
Old 09-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #22
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I will be curious to see how many tablet vendors actually have had access to 4.0, besides, of course, Motorola.
Eric Schmidt( Google chairman) claims there are more than 400 vendors that have access to Android.

And to answer your question directly the first vendor to launch Android 4.0 will be Samsung.

It doesn't seem like Google is stringent on who gets Android so long as they buy into the "Google Experience".
Old 09-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #23
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Yes you are correct, for the short term they do make a difference since developers will not have to do much to support both platforms. As the fork continues however there will be a time where the devs might have to chose what platform to support.

=X=
That would be problematic if Amazon wants their App Store to flourish beyond their own devices, for sure. Really curious now to see what they are up to!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #24
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Doesn't seem wise for Amazon to fork android in a way that kept it stuck with outdated software. Guess we'll see. Also, if this info is primarily coming from that techcrunch article, I gotta take it with some salt. He didn't exactly exude confidence regarding the device's unseen particulars.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #25
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Also, a curiosity sprung up out of this. The past couple days, I've been talking with a coworker about Velocity tablets, because they were wanting to get their wife one, and on Tuesday (and I believe yesterday), they had listings for various models on Best Buy's website. Last night he went and looked at Best Buy, and they had their T301s listed as $199, and when he asked them to do pricematching, they said it was no longer in the system and is now listed as a clearance item and so not subject to pricematching. This morning, after being told of this I look and it appears that all Velocity Cruz tablets have been removed.

Whether this is because the T408 and T410 was announced, or because they're dropping the entire Cruz line, I cannot say. I can only say that it seems odd to stop selling products from a company before the new line is actually available. The Cruz website still lists Best Buy as a partner selling the T301.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote