Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
ovaldisk
Connoisseur
ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle
did anyone here return their Kindle to get the HP Touchpad 16GB for $84?

did anyone here return their Kindle to get the HP Touchpad 16GB for $84?

I bought a KSO 3G at BestBuy for $139 and it came with a $30 BestBuy
gift card... making the final cost $109. (since I intended to used the
gift card to buy a Kindle gift card and use it to buy other stuff on Amazon)

Shortly after that, HP killed the Touchpad and put it up on their website
for $99. I ordered one from HP.com and used the $15 coupon code,
making the final cost $84. (plus my state's sales tax) It even came with
free shipping.

A few days after the Touchpad was delivered, I returned the KSO 3G
and the $30 gift card back to BestBuy for a full refund. While I was
at the store, I managed to buy 2 more Touchpads at $99. (they got
a dozen in that morning) Those two went to other members of my
familly.

I've been using the Touchpad's Kindle app to read the same books during
the last couple of weeks. I must say I don't really missing the KSO 3G.
(especially considering how little I paid for the Touchpad)

Just wondering if there are any others here who made the same choice?

Last edited by ovaldisk; 09-05-2011 at 06:29 PM.
ovaldisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I have an iPad, but I would never give up my Kindle for reading.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I began toying with the idea of getting one of those $100 TouchPads because of the idea that this was $500 just the other day, so it must be the bargain of bargains. But after finding out that WebOS can't run my old Palm Garnet apps (am I right there, anybody?), and then reading this devastating review (look at the Performance section), all interest went away:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/1...uchpad-review/
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
robbw
Connoisseur
robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I have an iPad, but I would never give up my Kindle for reading.
Ditto. Nothing yet can compare with eInk.
robbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbw View Post
Nothing yet can compare with eInk.
Agreed. If I want a tablet computer I will buy one, but I sure as heck won't be giving up my Kindle.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2011, 10:09 PM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I got an HP Touchpad, the 32 gig version. I love it. I have the iPad 2 as well. I won't be giving up eink, but I am enjoying using tablets more and more, especially for PDFs, manga and comics. I enjoy the webos even more that iOS, but the lack of apps has me using my iPad a bit more. If I had to choose between the two (the HP Touchpad and the iPad), it would be a tough choice.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool never

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
....I would never give up my Kindle for reading.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:04 AM   #8
gregb7677
gregb7677 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I grabbed a 32GB touch pad and its nice to have one more device to sync books to. As far as the performance issues, a little Google searching and tweaking and all is fine. WebOS embraces their home brew community! I wouldn't give up my kindle though, a little easier for travel and definitely lighter.
gregb7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
No. I just placed an order for a Touchpad and will keep the Kindle. Afterall, variety is the spice of life.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I began toying with the idea of getting one of those $100 TouchPads because of the idea that this was $500 just the other day, so it must be the bargain of bargains. But after finding out that WebOS can't run my old Palm Garnet apps (am I right there, anybody?), and then reading this devastating review (look at the Performance section), all interest went away:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/1...uchpad-review/
But it's $99 ...so I took the plunge (still waiting for a shipping date).
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #11
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I returned a pair of pants for the HP Touchpad.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Love my TouchPad, love my Kindle. Life is Good!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #13
ratflinger
Enthusiast
ratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: K3, Touch, Paperwhite 3G
No - enjoy your dead product
ratflinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #14
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
No thanks... I like not having to recharge my Kindle except every 7-8 weeks. Although the price is reasonable enough I may have to talk my wife into letting me pick a tablet up.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:35 AM   #15
ron0909
Enthusiast
ron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with others

Device: K-3 WiFi, Kindle Paperwhite
I'd kill for one of those tablets. I'm so poor I can hardly pay attention! On a serious note,
the were all out of stock both online and locally by the time I got paid. Now they're available for 3 times the price from local Touchpad scalpers. With any luck HP will send me that email saying they are back in stock. I'd happily trade my kindle!
ron0909 is offline   Reply With Quote