Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
wtw1936
wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle
Data lost after library folder sync

Using software to sync folders across our two computers, I share my library with my wife by syncing our Calibre library folders. If, for example, I create a user-column "Read" to indicate whether a book has been read or not, she and I can use the column, but when I update her folder all her Read info is lost and replaced by mine. Is there any way that she can retain her personal changes such that my updates won't destroy those changes?
wtw1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
[QUOTE=wtw1936;1710870]Using software to sync folders across our two computers, I share my library with my wife by syncing our Calibre library folders. If, for example, I create a user-column "Read" to indicate whether a book has been read or not, she and I can use the column, but when I update her folder all her Read info is lost and replaced by mine. Is there any way that she can retain her personal changes such that my updates won't destroy those changes?[/QUOTE

NO you are using 3rd party programs to mess with Calibre's Library folder and they have no clue how to maintain DB integrity.

If done Carefully <- <-
You can save your changed books to a second Library (on a thumb drive or A blank folder on her system).
After you are done and give the OK, she can switch to the New Library and merge .
BTW Each of you need a Uniquely named custom columns for your read status or the merge overwrites. (and her column name can't exist on your machine or the status will be clobbered when merged) OTOH a Tag (read) column, Tags do get merged (Jane, Steve, Dick)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
wtw1936
wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Update database file after new author folders pasted in.

To share my new books with my wife (different computer) I've tried just copying the new author folders from within my Calibre Library folder and then pasting them into the analogous place on her computer. To get Calibre to recognize the new books, I then go to Library Maintenance and Restore Database. That's fine for a small database, but with several thousand books the restore time is exorbitant. Is there any way to just update the database (metadata.db) with only the new info and avoid processing all the old books?
Old 08-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
wtw1936

Theducks:
Actually, syncing the 2 library folders works just fine, at least in the sense that what appears in my wife's Calibre is identical to mine.

Your suggestion of creating & merging a 2nd library and using separate read columns seems like a good idea worth exploring. Thanks very much for note.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I would recommend using something like dropbox for syncing.
And as far as making separate read columns you can also use the view plugin to set different view settings for yourself and your wife so just if she uses her view only her read column shows up.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert