Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: laptop
HP Touchpad 16GB for about $85, 32GB for $135.

HP discountinued the Touchpad. It's being blown out right this second. $99 for the 16GB and $149 for the 32GB.

It goes live on the normal hp.com website tomorrow. It's already live in Canada. Best Buy should match.

You can already buy it tonight through the academic problem. I bought two tonight. Pretty much anyone who's every been to college or has a kid that is past preschool age qualifies for the academic program. You'll see the $99 price once you sign up for the academic program.

Use coupon SAVE15HP to get $15 off. Use SAVE30HP to get $30 off if you buy more the $150 worth of stuff.

You can also try for up to 6% cashback as well.

http://www.cashbackwatch.com/store.php?store=HP Home

Target has already matched on their store through Amazon.

Last edited by travfar; 08-19-2011 at 10:42 PM.
travfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Where are you? I signed up for their academic program and I don't see the 99 dollar price.

Edit: It's already out of stock.

Edit, Edit: Not, it's not.

Last edited by luqmaninbmore; 08-19-2011 at 10:59 PM.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Where are you? I signed up for their academic program and I don't see the 99 dollar price.

Edit: It's already out of stock.

Edit, Edit: Not, it's not.
HP made hundreds of thousands of these. It'll take a while for them to go OOS. The website is just being crushed right now with orders.
travfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by travfar View Post
HP made hundreds of thousands of these. It'll take a while for them to go OOS. The website is just being crushed right now with orders.
It's been posted on SlickDeals. I don't think it's going to last all that long. Anyhow, thanks for the heads up! Got two. With the closeout sale, I have a feeling we might be seeing Android running on the TouchPad sometime soon. If that happens, it'll take the crown of cheapest Android tablet made by a major company from the Nook Color.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
16 shows sold out and 32 is still over 400 after registering for the academic ??

Edit: Now the 32 shows out of stock.

Last edited by exscentric; 08-20-2011 at 01:10 AM.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2011, 05:41 AM   #6
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Not likely to see huge discounts in the UK according to this poster on another site:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...phoned-hp.html

Quote:
Just rang HP (Although it is listed you can't current buy the touch-pad it says 'item not found'):

*Sales rep said that discount is unlikely to be as heavy as the US because they have "massive amounts of stock to get rid of" so I doubt we will be getting a £75 touchpad...

* She wouldn't confirm it but it appears that monday is whenever whatever reduction they plan to give will appear.

Hope that is helpful to some of you
Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:49 AM   #7
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
I guess this pretty much shows the true production cost of these devices.
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:50 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenunya View Post
I doubt it has any reflection whatsoever on the production cost. It's an accounting exercise to get back whatever they can, as quickly as they can.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:52 AM   #9
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I doubt it has any reflection whatsoever on the production cost. It's an accounting exercise to get back whatever they can, as quickly as they can.
i disagree.
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:06 AM   #10
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you have evidence to back up your claim?
Old 08-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I believe the production/assembly/shipping cost of these was estimated at $300 and that probably doesn't take into account the millions HP spent on marketing. They are definitely taking a huge hit selling them for $100.

I was tempted to run one down just out of fondness for my first ebook reader which was a Palm device 12 years ago, but I already have an iPad and would probably never use the Touchpad.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
They are still out of stock on hp.com. Best buy had them on their site earlier but not showing this morning.

Anyone finding them?
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #13
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenunya View Post
HP will take a loss of over $100 million in charges for the Touchpad (.05 cents/share) in their earnings report.

That is probably a better indicator of the production costs of the devices than a liquidation sale price tag-provided you can find out how many they actually produced.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

HHGregg sold me one to be shipped to the store and then refused to honor the sale. My only option was a refund.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Wow. I have to grab one of these.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote