Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-09-2011, 01:21 AM   #1
bruck
bruck began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Trouble making my own font set - help please.

I'm marrying an amazing girl that loves art, culture and even reading but since she is dyslexic she almost never reads a book unless someone can guarantee that its a really excellent read because of the immense amount of work it takes for her to complete a book with dyslexia.

After sending numerous emails to the developer of the Dyslexie font with no response of any kind, I stumbled upon Reddit User Corb's awesome font for $2!!! (http://www.pixelscript.net/gilldyslexic/)

I quickly purchased both versions (mono and normal) and a Kindle Wifi for her. The kindle arrived today, its jailbroken, font hacked and working fine.
I then converted the Gill_Dyslexic ttf files into the naming structure for a kindle font set. After loading them on the device, the home screen and books don't load correctly but the header and menus kind of work. I troubleshot it down to the 4 "Sans" files causing trouble by swapping them for the "Sans" files from another font set. (after doing this the books display correctly and the kindle is functional, but the menu items and words in the top bar are using the "other" font)

The Kindle is a ver 3 with Wifi (3.2 firmware)

The files also came with .otf versions, should i be using them? how do i make them ttf's?

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong? (I didn't have Sans and Serif versions of the font, so i just renamed the files to fit these names).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by bruck; 08-09-2011 at 01:24 AM.
bruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Try this method of changing font without using font hack. You may have better luck.

http://booksprung.com/change-the-fon...out-hacking-it
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing I've found out about dyslexia is that colors can help sometimes. Usually it's green on a black background. Try setting your computer screen that way and see if she can read it. If that works, find a tablet and an app that allows custom colors and set it so she can read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote