Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #16
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcejedi View Post
What we get on MobileRead: An ambiguous post that either suggests people who bought the non-DRM version are somehow going to see it replaced with the DRM version. Or possibly that the author/publisher is somehow deciding to "get their own back" on the people who bought the non-DRM version. I probably meant something slightly different anyway, since neither of these makes sense, and I was in too much of a hurry to spell my swear words correctly. If you want to know what I actually meant, it's your responsibility to ask for clarification. Better be polite though, or I might take offence and just rush out a rebuttal with no connection to my earlier words.
If it were possible for an indie author to make this change, then the reader would get a "your book has been updated, possibly to correct formatting or typos; if you want it, reply with 'yes'' type of message, that does not tell you what has been changed (not that Amazon would really know what had changed, unless this was the only update applied in DTP). The reader says: hmmm, I'm all for fixing formatting and typos and sends back a "yes" reply, but instead gets a DRM'd book, rather than a DRM-free one.

It doesn't really matter - the person who posed the question (which should have been done in the Amazon DTP forum, really, since it is an issue specific to publishing on that particular platform), pretty much knew the answer ahead of time, as he/she had already tried it and found it could not be changed.

The book can be removed by the author (which will piss off current purchasers, as they will lose the ability to see that they have purchased it and lose the ability to lend, as well as screw the author's reviews and sales rankings), then must be republished with DRM added.

Adding DRM in this case has a lot of negatives and pretty much zero positives (as it is simply ignored by anyone that wants to remove it, so any anticipated "protection" is essentially non-existent, other than adding restrictions to those who do purchase the book).
Old 08-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #17
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
You're being disingenuous.

The only still-valid exemption that can be used for e-books is limited to cases where it's strictly necessary in order to use text-to-speech software. Most of the discussions which are terminated on MobileRead are not focused on that case.
Or to adjust the font more than can be done with a locked file.

Or, just done in any country where the DRM removal is allowed (which means the author/publisher will have to further alienate readers/purchasers by banning purchase in some countries).
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #18
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Talking

Quote:
You're being disingenuous.
Sourcie, I don't consider anything in my post disingenuous anymore than you would consider your posts long and pedantic.

While the library of congress has only officially issued the carve out you mention, carve outs for personal archival purposes and for obsolete DRM or hardware can easy be read as highly interpreted by other carve outs that the LofC has issued with regards to similar technologies. Accordingly, the allowable use of DRM removal is likely to be substantially broader than you suggest if the issue were tested.

Furthermore, I stated that members might consider such uses of "dubious" legality. In other words, while your reading of the law may be the prevailing view, there are many areas where there are no decisions and were it is open to interpretation.

Finally, regardless of the law, if many members of the forum find DRM an abomination and portent of the coming of the beast, banning such "how to" topics altogether might not be a bad idea.

Have a nice weekend.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #19
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool did you read it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I downloaded her first book in the series as it's free and the line height is silly. It's way way too large. She's not using anything special in terms of fonts or font size. So the line height is just silly.
so did you read it or just critique the creator of the file's level of competence?
Old 08-06-2011, 12:53 AM   #20
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
For anyone in the future who is also wanting an answer to my question I am sorry you had to sift through so much material for the answer.

Unpublish the existing book. It will remain on the bookshelf in case amazon needs to replace a book already sold. Resubmit the publication and select drm this time. All reviews and ratings are lost.

Thanks to all who actually tried to answer my question. Can we kill this thread now please.
Advert
Old 08-06-2011, 02:56 AM   #21
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Moderator Notice
Thread closed as per OP's request and as specific issue resolved.
Closed Thread