Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
Giselleco
Giselleco began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
HTML code in epub book

Hello,
I just got a new Kobo Touch and I've got a few ePub books that show up with the HTML code every few pages. An example of the code: "@namespace h "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"; .bold { font-weight: bold } .calibre { display: block; font-size: 1em; margin-bottom: 0; margin-left: 5pt; margin-right: 5pt; margin-top: 0; padding-left: 0; padding-right: 0; text-align: justify } .calibre1 { display: block } .calibre10 { text-decoration: underline } .calibre11 "

Which goes on for about 4-5 pages on the Kobo. I use calibre. Any idea how to remove that?

Thanks.
Giselleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giselleco View Post
Hello,
I just got a new Kobo Touch and I've got a few ePub books that show up with the HTML code every few pages. An example of the code: "@namespace h "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"; .bold { font-weight: bold } .calibre { display: block; font-size: 1em; margin-bottom: 0; margin-left: 5pt; margin-right: 5pt; margin-top: 0; padding-left: 0; padding-right: 0; text-align: justify } .calibre1 { display: block } .calibre10 { text-decoration: underline } .calibre11 "

Which goes on for about 4-5 pages on the Kobo. I use calibre. Any idea how to remove that?

Thanks.
No but if you post it in the calibre forum you may get a faster response.

But then thats your call.. Sooner or later someone will have an answer for you !
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giselleco View Post
Hello,

Thanks.
That appears to be sloppy HTML coding. HTML is a markup language that requires uses tags around text to define that text. Many tags have a begiining tag and an ending tag. My guess is that a begiining tag was used without an ending tag, or vice versa, which confused the conversion program and thus it interpreted the HTML code as though it was part of the readable text. In your case it looks like the <HEAD> </HEAD> and/or <STYLE> </STYLE> tags near the top of the HTML files got messed up.

It is quite possible that a typo was introduced in one file then managed to get copy and pasted into other files by the creator of the files. Probably an easy fix.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-26-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
Feisty
Book Nerd Extraordinaire
Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Original and Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
That appears to be sloppy HTML coding. HTML is a markup language that requires uses tags around text to define that text. Many tags have a begiining tag and an ending tag. My guess is that a begiining tag was used without an ending tag, or vice versa, which confused the conversion program and thus it interpreted the HTML code as though it was part of the readable text. In your case it looks like the <HEAD> </HEAD> and/or <STYLE> </STYLE> tags near the top of the HTML files got messed up.

It is quite possible that a typo was introduced in one file then managed to get copy and pasted into other files by the creator of the files. Probably an easy fix.
I've had this exact same problem. A few times I've successfully used the "Find/Replace" function in Calibre to identify the offending sections and remove them, but this has only been successful in cases where each HTML section is exactly the same.

You suggest there is an easy fix, could you elaborate? I'm non-code fluent I'm afraid but I'd love to get rid of those huge annoying bits of gobbly-gook!

Thanks!
Feisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

If, as I suspect, it is a simple typo then there is probably a tag that was entered incorrectly or left out. That would be a simple fix. If you can look at the HTML, then search for the part that is being incorrectly displayed and verify the opening and closing tags match. If you cannot figure it out, then post the file with instructions about which part is displaying incorrectly and I will see if I can find the problem.
Advert