Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
R Grosvenor
R Grosvenor began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 950
Sony Reader, DRM, and Calibre

I have a Sony Reader 950 and use the Sony Reader library software. I download many free library books that use DRM to limit your reading time to 21 days. This works ok. Two things I want to be able to do.

Add a tag or something to be able to tell a book has been read. I want to keep all my read books in my library, even if my usage has expired so that I can tell I have read that book

Edit Megadata, particularly to add covers.

I created a collection for read books with sony software, but it starts showing errors when a book usage period expires and sync tries to occur.

Am i missing an easy way to keep up with read books on the reader or the reader software on the desktop?

Will Calibre handle legal DRM management of usage time? I am not trying to remove DRM. But Calibre allows adding user created tags and updating of metadata, I think.

Thank You!
R Grosvenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Calibre cannot detect when a book is expired. You can create a custom column and put the expiration date there. Yes, you can create tags and update metadata with Calibre.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
R Grosvenor
R Grosvenor began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 950
ADE with Calibre

So will Calibre catalog and download a library book if Adobe Digital is installed and authorizing in the same manner as it does with the Sony Library?
R Grosvenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Calibre can import any ebook file.

When you download from the library, you don't get the ebook, but an .acsm file, which is a pointer file to the actual book file. You need to use either Sony Library or Adobe Digital Editions to open the .acsm to get the ebook file. Once you have that file, you can import that into Calibre.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote