Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Flowers for Algernon - Authors Sticking to their Guns/ideas

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes is a famous (science fiction) short story.

from wikipedia (contains spoilers in case you haven't read the story):

Spoiler:

In 1958, Keyes was approached by Galaxy Science Fiction magazine to write a story, at which point the different elements of Flowers for Algernon fell into place.[9] On submitting the finished story to Galaxy, however, the editor suggested changing the ending so that Charlie retained his intelligence, married Alice, and lived happily ever after.[9][11] Keyes refused to make the change and sold the story to The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction instead.[9]

Keyes worked on the expanded novel between 1962 and 1965[12] and first tried to sell it to Doubleday, but they also wanted to change the ending. Again, Keyes refused and gave Doubleday back their advance.[11] Five different publishers rejected the story over the course of a year[11] until it was taken on and published by Harcourt in 1966.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowers_for_Algernon
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Interesting. Cliff Robertson played Charlie Gordon in the movie version "Charly" in 1968. I remember reading the book in school I think. I can't recall if it was the short story I read first or the book though. We read so many books and such in school when I was a kid many moons ago. lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'm pretty sure I read the story first and was blown away by it. Seems tied to Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery" in my mind so I must have read them both about the same time, or in the same class or something...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #4
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I read the story in F&SF -- I've always thought the shorter work was more powerful. I didn't know about the Galaxy side story. Back in the 60s I liked them both, but I was always more of a Galaxy fan than an F&SF fan.

I think the story would have been pretty much pointless if he'd taken Galaxy's (Mr. Gold? Too lazy to check...) suggestion.

The movie was okay, but the story/novel is amazing.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote