Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
beowulf573
Addict
beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
Typesetting music for Reader, pdf problems

I've been attempting to adapt pdf files containing music for the reader but am having some trouble. The files look fine in Adobe Acrobat, but in the connect software preview mode and on the reader the staves and vertical lines of the notes display but the heads and treble clefs do not.

I've put a single page example up here.

I'm generating the pdf as such:
  1. music source in abc files, use abc2mtex to generate MusiXTeX files.
  2. convert to dvi using tex.
  3. convert to postscript with: dvips -j0 -Ppdf -Pdownload35 -G0 -D 1200 -Z -mode ljfzzz -o music.ps music.dvi
  4. convert to pdf with: ps2pdf -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dSubsetFonts=false -dEmbedAllFonts=true music.ps music.pdf

I've tried using pdflrf which converts the pages to images and embeds them in a lrf file. This works, but I'd rather stick with just pdf if I can get it working so I can add hyperlinks and stuff.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
beowulf573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf573 View Post
I've been attempting to adapt pdf files containing music for the reader but am having some trouble. The files look fine in Adobe Acrobat, but in the connect software preview mode and on the reader the staves and vertical lines of the notes display but the heads and treble clefs do not.

I've put a single page example up here.

I'm generating the pdf as such:
  1. music source in abc files, use abc2mtex to generate MusiXTeX files.
  2. convert to dvi using tex.
  3. convert to postscript with: dvips -j0 -Ppdf -Pdownload35 -G0 -D 1200 -Z -mode ljfzzz -o music.ps music.dvi
  4. convert to pdf with: ps2pdf -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dSubsetFonts=false -dEmbedAllFonts=true music.ps music.pdf

I've tried using pdflrf which converts the pages to images and embeds them in a lrf file. This works, but I'd rather stick with just pdf if I can get it working so I can add hyperlinks and stuff.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
Did you set the page size to match the Sony Reader's screen of 90mmx120mm or 120mmx90mm?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
beowulf573
Addict
beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Yeah, the page size is fine, it seems to be a font related issue. I've created other docs using just TeX and have embedded fonts, so the general technique is fine, there seems to be something different about the music fonts.

Edit to add:

I'm using 3.57in by 4.59in.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

9/28/2007 15:11 14,096 garech.lrf
9/28/2007 15:06 36,654 garech.pdf
9/28/2007 15:17 8,736 garech-2.lrf

The pdflrf converted files are smaller and looks quite nice. Have a look.

The larger LRF is 4 color and the smaller is 2 color.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf garech-2.lrf (8.5 KB, 301 views)
File Type: lrf garech.lrf (13.8 KB, 296 views)
Old 09-28-2007, 03:37 PM   #5
beowulf573
Addict

Is it possible to create a table of contents using pdflrf? I have large collection of tunes and it would be nice to be able to jump to them. I wouldn't even mine convert it from lrf to lrs, insert a TOC, and then rebuild the lrf if that's possible.

They do look pretty good thanks. I tried it with my large collection and the lrf file ended up larger in size than the pdf. I need to play with the settings a bit.
Advert
Old 09-28-2007, 03:42 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I think pdflrf keeps the TOC if you want as long as the PDF has one.