Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Question PE wants to update?

Went online this a.m. with PE with 1.13 and was notified of an update... I have a EE that opted into ermine beta, but wouldnt this notification happened sometime in the last two weeks when on line? Have not yet allowed the update to download.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
I own a PE and have not seen this alert. Is your PE rooted?
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
That does seem odd, Gunner. It could be the Ermine update. I had opted in with my PE and when I got my EE it went straight from Badger to Ermine, I assume because I registered with the same account.

Why don't you try it and tell us what it does??!

(I'm assuming you haven't rooted your PE: Can you even root it in Dingo??)
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
This is a common problem if you had been messing around with rooting and/or installing google applications. You might want to turn off the setting for automatically checking for updates as there likely wont be any more.
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Red face

I have not rooted it and am leery of putting the beta on it (PE) with the WSOD issues others have had; especially now unable to return it.

I tried in the recent past to get back to the entourage accounts screen to disable the beta, but of course it was right during the period when they went offline...
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Gunner, so far most of the WSOD on the PEs has been hardware related which may, or may not have anything to do with updating to ermine. The one possibility of the software causing the problem is that it gives the video subsystem a bit more work to do which causes a chip that has marginal specs to die - hence the reports that the main board has been changed for those that had their PEs repaired. If this is the case then it could happen to a non upgraded PE at any time given a video workload that tips the video system over the edge.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
Filark
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In Ermine (no longer have Dingo, sorry) there's a way to disable the check for updates. It's in Settings/eDGe Settings/Default Device Preferences. If you really don't want to update, there might be a similar setting in Dingo.

Of course, if you decide to bite the bullet and take your chances, you can just say yes. The upgrade from that prompt is no muss no fuss . . . unless it turns out you're one of the unlucky ones . . . .

What recourse do people have now if they get the WSoD? Will SupporTrix help? Anybody know?
Old 06-26-2011, 06:15 AM   #8
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
What recourse do people have now if they get the WSoD? Will SupporTrix help? Anybody know?
Apparently, from another thread, they only do telephone calls on software - NO hardware repairs!

So, unless whoever bought the IP also got the manufacturing information and supplier parts lists <b>AND</b> are prepared to do something about it, then we are dead in the water.

We do repair notebooks but only those for which we can get parts and information from the manufacturers. With Entourage being dead we have no point of contact for getting the information - circuit diagrams would be the least requirement but even a full parts list would help (ex-entourage people like to make a donation?).
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
entourage people not even got the sdk or proper source code as per legal requirements. what do you expect from them. I never seen such a bad and close company before.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
Filark

They may have held their secrets a bit too close, but I wouldn't call enTourage a "bad" company: I like their products too much for that!

Besides, when they were actively in business they were a good, responsive company.

Wonder how soon, if ever, we'll hear about that buyer?