Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 04:54 AM   #1
remcdonald
Connoisseur
remcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch
How's The KT doing south of the 49th

So I wanted to ask my American friends here how is the Kobo Touch being received in the U.S. Here in Canada, people are in love, but then again they don't have many options. Nook won't sell up here, though I have seen a few illicit ones, Kindles exist but they have to be bought online and shipped in (though I think that might be changing since I saw an ad in a staples flier today for one) so Kobo dominates the market a little more. Especially since they have the largest bookseller in Canada in their pocket since that bookseller is their majority share holder. But down south you guys have all kinds of options and so I'm wondering how is the KT faring against those who can actually have a Nook or can walk into a store and buy a Kindle?
remcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Well, I have yet to find one available here in Pittsburgh. We do still have a Borders, but they don't have one yet, nor do any of the Best Buy stores. I'd like to try one out in a store but no cigar.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
kobofreak
Reading Rocks!
kobofreak began at the beginning.

Device: kobo(wifi), kobo touch
I'd have to say that Kindle and Nook are still bigger in the US than Kobo, even with the touch edition out. I ordered my KT yesterday through borders online and I am so excited to get it! I think Kobo is greatly underrated here in the US, which is a shame. I will always be a faithful Kobo fan!
kobofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
I think the new Kobo will do well in the US, now that they have expanded to Best Buy and Walmart. The various colors make them stand out compared to the Kindles and Nooks next to them, and the lower price than the Nook and Kindles will also attract buyers, as will as the touch screen and smaller size compared to everything else, even the cushy back.

However, the Kindle with offers is also being heavily pushed, with budget shoppers looking only at the $114 price tag, and I've found the 'special offers' part of it isn't well-advertised or mentioned by salespeople, and most people probably don't understand that 'special offers' means advertising.

I've read that Kobo is aggressively pushing their reader into Europe as well, which should also help their sales, especially with Sony probably not willing to match Kobo on price.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoshka View Post
I think the new Kobo will do well in the US, now that they have expanded to Best Buy and Walmart. The various colors make them stand out compared to the Kindles and Nooks next to them, and the lower price than the Nook and Kindles will also attract buyers, as will as the touch screen and smaller size compared to everything else, even the cushy back.

However, the Kindle with offers is also being heavily pushed, with budget shoppers looking only at the $114 price tag, and I've found the 'special offers' part of it isn't well-advertised or mentioned by salespeople, and most people probably don't understand that 'special offers' means advertising.

I've read that Kobo is aggressively pushing their reader into Europe as well, which should also help their sales, especially with Sony probably not willing to match Kobo on price.
Well kobo does offer a 10 dollare ebook giftcard for there store upone activation. at least here in Canada. For the states not sure how they are doing things though.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I had a Kobo before and returned it. But, this new model seems like it's a worthy competitor. I need an ereader to take on my commute that I won't worry so much if it gets nabbed or broken. So I'm going to try the KT.

I like the form factor and heard that it's pretty snappy. Wonder if it'll fit in an Oberon sleeve?
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
The Kobo Touch is much, much snappier than the Kobo Wireless. Blink and you miss it.

Sometimes you have to press the screen twice for a page turn. But I notice that happening in other areas as well so I suspect the next firmware update will fix that.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
vaeditor
vaeditor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Well kobo does offer a 10 dollare ebook giftcard for there store upone activation. at least here in Canada. For the states not sure how they are doing things though.

regards

Jack
I'm in the USA, and I got the $10 gift certificate after setting up my KT. Definitely a nice touch (no pun intended).
vaeditor is offline   Reply With Quote