Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you or someone you know once do these things?
I know people who used to tape records with blank tapes. 40 93.02%
I know people who copied recipes out of recipe books. 37 86.05%
I know people who taped songs heard off the radio. 39 90.70%
I know people photocopied one short story out of a book anthology to keep. 14 32.56%
I know people who played movies for at least a dozen friends. 23 53.49%
I know people who made copies of cds that they don't own 37 86.05%
I know people who have never bought clothing, cds, books, movies, etc new. always used. 10 23.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Talking multiple choice poll

multiple choice

Last edited by spindlegirl; 02-10-2012 at 05:44 AM.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I eat while I read. Without a poll I had to pick something to confess...
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ditto

Last edited by spindlegirl; 02-10-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
There's too much to choose from, I'm confused....

AND..

there's not enough choices, 'cos I feel dissatisfied with the range .....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #5
spindlegirl
Wizard

Well, since this is a confessional, I confess this poll is rather dumb on hindsight.....
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
OK, now I actually did the poll!
Wonder if today's young crowd even understand things like "taped somgs they heard on the radio"... I do however and remembering those days is nice!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #7
spindlegirl
Wizard

I remember scouring stores for hours and hours trying to find the best price on a dual cassette player.
I also remember buying tapes of discounted crappy music so that I could cover the hole with masking tape and tape over it. (they were often cheaper than blank tapes)

I also remember the days where it was about as binding as an engagement ring to make a "mixed tape" for your girlfriend/boyfriend (reminded of this watching High Fidelity and Friends).

I wonder how it would translate in this decade, to buy a bunch of books and then make a "mixed iibrary" to give your dating partner, in this day and age, to stick on their e-reader

The former seems to be met with "ahh isn't that sweet...", the latter is often seen well, in not so flattering a light.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Ticked every one and could have ticked more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I wonder how it would translate in this decade...
This decade? I played a couple of cassettes only yesterday and could make you a mix tape right now if you wanted one. Then again, perhaps not if it meant we'd be engaged...
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
Ticked every one and could have ticked more.

This decade? I played a couple of cassettes only yesterday and could make you a mix tape right now if you wanted one. Then again, perhaps not if it meant we'd be engaged...
LOL... well, my husband may get a little bit jealous
Old 02-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
Quote:
I also remember buying tapes of discounted crappy music so that I could cover the hole with masking tape and tape over it. (they were often cheaper than blank tapes)
I remember doing this! (I also taped songs off the radio!)

I also remember cutting slots on 5-1/4" floppy disks so that I could use BOTH sides in my Commodore 64 disk drive.

And I am also able to eat & read at the same time. I can also knit and read at the same time. (This seems to astonish a lot of people.)
CarolineNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #11
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineNH View Post
I remember doing this! (I also taped songs off the radio!)

I also remember cutting slots on 5-1/4" floppy disks so that I could use BOTH sides in my Commodore 64 disk drive.

And I am also able to eat & read at the same time. I can also knit and read at the same time. (This seems to astonish a lot of people.)
Ereaders have made it especially easy to knit and read at the same time. I spin and read at the same time, too.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I remember about 25 years ago when I was in the process of moving from New Jersey to San Francisco I sold all my record albums but not till I made a copy on a cassette tape because that player was all I was taking with me. When I got to SF I discovered what a Pawn Shop was, didn't have them in my town, and started buying a used CD a week. Soon the cassettes were in the garbage and my CD library grew bigger than my record collection had ever been. I still buy my CDs used also most of my DVD/Blu-rays. All my CDs are ripped to my Mac but I still have them. Many of my DVDs are ripped but I still have them also. I gave away most of my paperbacks (Star Trek, Dr Who and many others came out on CDrom) and magazines (Natl Geo came out with a DVD set), off to Goodwill.

I've been thinking about taking some of my best loved comics and copy them for myself.

Last edited by pagansoul; 02-10-2012 at 09:36 AM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Confession: I have a mixtape that my first boyfriend gave me. I have no way of playing the tape now, but it is sentimental and I'm keeping it.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #14
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Seriously, such a significant declaration of undying love (which I was unaware was anything of the kind) deserves to be heard regularly. Surely the sentiment is worth spending a few bucks on, for instance in the guise of an old, but working banger like this?
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #15
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
Quote:
Ereaders have made it especially easy to knit and read at the same time. I spin and read at the same time, too.
I'm working on finding or creating a stand for my Kindle Fire precisely for this reason!
CarolineNH is offline   Reply With Quote