Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-29-2014, 07:32 AM   #2371
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
"In February" I shall be buying the first ten Gil Cunningham mysteries that are currently on special offer at Amazon.co.uk at just £0.84 each.
And then form the books read:

Quote:
21 January 24th: The Harper's Quine by Pam McIntosh - $1.26 - 4/5 - 236pp
A good historical murder mystery, set in 15th century Glasgow
Sigh. I guess you guys were supposed to be supportive

Of course I caved and got the book. It's a great story. Very, very tempted to get the other ones as well, now that the prices are still so low.

Just what I needed
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:42 AM   #2372
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldim View Post
Sigh. I guess you guys were supposed to be supportive
Sorry! It was a moment of weakness. Mind you, I do now have nine books in a series that it looks like I'll enjoy a lot. So it's not all bad.

And I only have two books in the pipeline for February at the moment, so I should be able to make it to the end of February without having spent more than $80 for the year.

Sometimes a special offer is just too good.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #2373
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I bought 2 books yesterday, mainly to break in a new Nook but one was the 2nd part of a series that I enjoy and the other was a Lovecraft compilation which I habitually purchase in every format.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:31 PM   #2374
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Sorry! It was a moment of weakness. Mind you, I do now have nine books in a series that it looks like I'll enjoy a lot. So it's not all bad.

And I only have two books in the pipeline for February at the moment, so I should be able to make it to the end of February without having spent more than $80 for the year.

I would happily, without reservation or regret, take advantage of a sale that net me an entire series (or five) at those kinds of prices if it were available in my region. If they're books you'd buy and read anyway, why on earth should you wait & pay full price later?

I'm all for budgeting and setting certain limits, but passing up those deals is, as they say, "penny wise and pound foolish'. I just wish that sale extended to the US!
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #2375
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
If you keep buying stuff faster than you read it, then you will never catch up, by definition. Sooner or later you have to draw a line.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #2376
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Umm... couldn't the second have also been the first?

Good news, everyone! I haven't bought an ebook for a whole week!
Most likely. The second title was a recent discovery by one of my fav authors, Mark Frost. He published a YA adventure back in 2012 that I somehow missed . So I used a Kobo 75% off code on it. These were my only January purchases. I budgeted $100 but spent less than $4 so I'm still good. However, I don't "rollover" the extra funds.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #2377
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
If you keep buying stuff faster than you read it, then you will never catch up, by definition. Sooner or later you have to draw a line.
This is true. I'm going to see if I can read books I've already bought instead of buying more and more. I have three must buys in the coming few months, The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison, Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris(paper back) and Hollow World by Michael J. Sullivan. All 3 are authors I know and love. Let's see if I can do it.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #2378
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Of my purchases this year, I have only six definitely outstanding, in terms of needing to be read in the near future. The others were excellent bargains in series I like, so I don't feel constrained to finish them immediately - they can be savoured over the next few years.

And I've finished reading all but two of my unread ebooks from December 2003. (Yes, 2003, not 2013)

I hope that by the end of February I'll have finished all my more-than-ten-years-old unread purchases, and with a bit of luck I'll be able to continue that through 2014. There's only 28 outstanding from 2004. (& I bought 114 ebooks in 2004, so I do read most of them!)
Old 01-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #2379
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
The difficult thing, of course, is recognising when that is.

I was uncertain about my purchases in the special offer on crime fiction this month, but no longer. I consider how much pleasure I got from previous similar purchases (esp. the Agatha Christie novels at Fictionwise), and I realise that this was one instance where it was the right thing to do.

38 books for £31.92 when I'm going to really enjoy each and every one of them is a great bargain. (10xGil Cunningham, 3xLovejoy, 19xAmelia Peabody, 6xVicky Bliss)

OK, so now I mustn't buy any more ebooks in February and most of March (other than the ones already planned or on subscription), but how hard could that be?
Old 01-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #2380
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Well, I broke down and bought the Star Trek book, but at least I'll read it right away.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #2381
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I'm still on ten books bought this month. Barring any irresistible deals tomorrow, I think I might just manage to stick to my goal in January.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:39 AM   #2382
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Ignoring the $47.88 spent on the C&G special offer, I'm doing well - only 12 books and under $40. Of course, including them I have bought 50 books and more than $80.....

A frugal February and March should get me back on track.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #2383
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I've done pretty well this month. $31.65, including buying a Baen monthly bundle. And I read a book on my back TBR that has been sitting there a while, Midnight Riot, aka Rivers of London. Unfortunately, that's put more books on my wish list, so I'm not sure it's been a net plus. Except for being a fun read outside my usual genre.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #2384
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
The difficult thing, of course, is recognising when that is.

I was uncertain about my purchases in the special offer on crime fiction this month, but no longer. I consider how much pleasure I got from previous similar purchases (esp. the Agatha Christie novels at Fictionwise), and I realise that this was one instance where it was the right thing to do.

38 books for £31.92 when I'm going to really enjoy each and every one of them is a great bargain. (10xGil Cunningham, 3xLovejoy, 19xAmelia Peabody, 6xVicky Bliss)

OK, so now I mustn't buy any more ebooks in February and most of March (other than the ones already planned or on subscription), but how hard could that be?
Yes, it blows the budget, but I agree you did the right thing in this case. It's quite the bargain and you've picked up some good series with those!

I'm over for the month now as well, at ~$35 on a ~$30 budget. It was another long week medically-speaking, and having the distraction of something new to read outweighed the desire to stick within the budget.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #2385
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I don't agree it was the right thing. I haven't bought anything at all in that particular sale*. It's just a matter of willpower. I really don't need any more books right now.

*It hasn't quite finished yet, and I'm making no promises.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote