Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 03:48 AM   #1
paulette7@windstream.net
Edge User

Another eDGe Newbie w/ questions...

Hi All,

Just setup my eDGe yesterday and I have a couple of qusetions about the displays. I find the Reader side difficult to read. Does it have any background lighting at all? Must you be in broad daylight or lamp light to read all the time? No night reading without a light on?? Also, my tablet side appears grainy. Am I expecting too much or is mine defective? I am not pleased with these displays at all for the $ it cost. My iPad is clear as a bell. Also, How do I change my Forum display name? Thanks in advance for any replies to my questions!

Old 12-19-2010, 06:21 AM   #2
ivan
Edge User

The e-ink reader screen is designed for reading in normal lighting - it does not have a back light. That is the main reason I use it - to read manuals in bright sunlight. There are various lights that you can attach to the USB port that will allow you to read in the dark.
The LCD screen is 1024x600 which is most probably different to your iPad resolution. This might make it appear grainy but I find nothing wrong with mine - OK, I'm comparing it with a 28" 1920x1200 monitor.

Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
Franky
Edge User

Hi Paulette, enjoy your eDGe. it's strange to read that you have difficulties with reading the eink site. i read a lot with it at any time of the day. of course do i put a small lamp on, because i'm not reading in the dark. did you ever read with a ereader, like IREX DR800 or a sony device? they are also eink and are similar to the eink site of the eDGe.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
borisb
Edge User

Welcome to the forums, Paulette

The Reader side is just like a Kindle and is meant to be electronic paper (hence the "eInk" term). For low light reading I highly recommend http://www.entourageedge.com/accesso...top-light.html (of course, any similar book light from any source is fine, but this one I find works very well).

The LCD side is not "high res", so it will not be as finely detailed as the iPad.

For your forum name, I don't think you can change it (I couldn't find a way). You can try sending a private message (PM) to one of the forum administrators (http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...p?do=newpm&u=1).

Old 12-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
paulette7@windstream.net
Edge User

Thanks to all for the replies. I'm going to play around with it some more today. It just seems as though the Reader side of the screen is brighter when it first comes on then goes dim. It must be reflecting from the tablet side. I know you said there was no back light but the page itself seems so dark. Must just be me. It's a nice product. Was planning on giving it to my hubby for Christmas but it might be too techy for him but not me!. Any suggestions as far as any updating I should do other than what was done when I set it up? Have been perusing the forum. Must find out what Dingo is.

Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
borisb
Edge User

One thing I've found with my two eDGes is that the Reader side takes a couple of days to wear in, as it were. So by Tuesday you should find the screen more comfortable. Or, you'll have gotten used to it

Dingo is the name of the current set of firmware releases. There have been some minor issues with the latest Dingo update, so I recommend you hold off worrying about updating until enTourage announces the next release (which might be sometime this week).

You can read my "Welcome Basket" posts under "General Discussion" for some ideas about things you might want to set up right off the bat to enhance your eDGe.