Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Is there still a need for paper books?

I bought a natural history book recently - a wild flower identification guide. It is designed for field use, with colour-coded sections to facilitate identification, by flower colour, habitat, and so on. Flicking through it, it occurred to me that an e-book wouldn't be anywhere near as versatile. Are books intended for outdoor use a niche that might survive?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0011.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	71629  
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
Aurora13
Enthusiast
Aurora13 began at the beginning.

Device: IPod, Sony PRS-350
I think so, as well as cookbooks (with pictures, because I think a lot of people like the pics , I'm more into the recipes though!), and I would think that picture books for children would be nicer in pbook or hardback, also I have a couple of Yoga books that I think are better then an e-reader version.
Aurora13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
I have all the toys...and still prefer it.
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Ereaders are great for novels, but I still buy reference material and DTBs for my own collection and research purposes.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Agreed. Field guides are perhaps best utilized as pBooks or for some topics such as birding a smart phone app with sounds. Coffee table books and bookshelf displays are still pBook domain and I doubt many people would agree to eliminating their collection of pBook classics in the home unless there is serious space limitation. However for 95% of my reading, eBooks work.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Currently deployed reader tech is not up the needs of the academic, technical, or professional markets, as witnessed by the prevalence of pdf in those areas.
This will change.
There's gold in them thar hills.

ePub3 is a fumbling half step in that general direction but there's a way to go yet.
That's a market for the *next* decade, the 20's.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Actually I recently bought the Sibley bird guide for my iphone, paid 30 bucks for an app!! I love it. I like to travel light when I'm birdwatching, so one less heavy book to lug around is great. It has some features that a book can't have, such as comparing two similar birds side by side, and listening to bird calls. And it's very quick to keep my "day list" (birds I saw on this outing) in the same app. I can also export the list as a CSV file. I love having my bird list as a spreadsheet instead of notes in a journal.

Even before the Sibley iphone app, there were different versions of the book: a bigger, heavier one for home use, and two smaller, lighter ones for the field. I do still enjoy perusing the bigger one at home. But I am loving the Sibley iphone app and I won't bring a field guide with me anymore.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora13 View Post
I think so, as well as cookbooks (with pictures, because I think a lot of people like the pics , I'm more into the recipes though!), and I would think that picture books for children would be nicer in pbook or hardback, also I have a couple of Yoga books that I think are better then an e-reader version.
I've bought my grandchild (yes I'm that old!) some children picture books for the Nook Color and they have loved them. While I would agree that there are categories where a DTB is better, the ebook format will continue to improve and even those areas will slowly disappear. I think it is far easier for a field manual to be deployed on an ereader instead of having to lug along the physical books.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Actually I recently bought the Sibley bird guide for my iphone, paid 30 bucks for an app!! I love it. I like to travel light when I'm birdwatching, so one less heavy book to lug around is great. It has some features that a book can't have, such as comparing two similar birds side by side, and listening to bird calls. And it's very quick to keep my "day list" (birds I saw on this outing) in the same app. I can also export the list as a CSV file. I love having my bird list as a spreadsheet instead of notes in a journal.

Even before the Sibley iphone app, there were different versions of the book: a bigger, heavier one for home use, and two smaller, lighter ones for the field. I do still enjoy perusing the bigger one at home. But I am loving the Sibley iphone app and I won't bring a field guide with me anymore.

eP
I would have killed to have the bird comparison and bird calls included in Sibley's when I was taking an ornithology course in college! All I remember about that course was "quick, free beer" and "who cooks for youuuuuu?"
I can certainly see where apps would be easier on one's back than hauling around fieldbooks though. I would have loved to have had an iPad back then!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Maybe eventually they'll have an ereader/tablet where you can load the digital photos you took of the birds, and it will analyze them and tell you the species.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:00 AM   #11
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I quite disagree. I have a field guide that I use for identifiying flowers in my neighborhood and I have them in electronic form only. I find that my blackberry is much more portable then any field guide and is much better at rendering the photos of the flowers that I see then the dead wood book is. In addition my purchase of the field guide includes updates and future editions, not something the dead wood would offer. Coffee table books, don't see the need. Photo albums, I have a digital photo frame.

Don't really see the need for printed or dead wood books in modern society. Personal opinion - we as a society are far to anchored in the past, cut ties with the past and full speed to the 22nd century warp factor 4.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Pressed flowers don't work as well with ebooks... and I can't randomly stash cash for a rainy day in an ebook on my digital shelf. Teachers also can't get that distinctive sound made by dropping a heavy tome on a desk (to wake the classroom up) with an eReader either.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
It's been already scratched in several topics.
short answer: yes
because of the need of having multiple books open, fast leafing trough, etc.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I have some oversized art books that wouldn't work even on a full-color tablet. Also a "novelty" book or two, like the Bob Dylan Scrapbook with fake ticket stubs and such, which I bought for my wife. She flipped through it once and now it's on the shelf.

The overwhelming amount of my reading material works perfectly well as an ebook.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #15
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
There'll always be a need for paper books.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote