Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes View Post
I'm surprised that $25 was sufficient. I thought they'd have to ratchet it lower before finding the sweet spot, but it seems that $25 worked already. The question is how long the success can continue without further price cuts. That probably will depend on how good the offers are, how unintrusive their implementation continues to be, and how deep the latent market at the $114 price point is.
My KSO has been getting price cuts every 4 days since it launched on Apr 27th. To date, Amazon and its partners have or are in the process of reimbursing me $83 of my $114 purchase price. Wouldn't you consider that a substantial price cut?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #17
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
My KSO has been getting price cuts every 4 days since it launched on Apr 27th. To date, Amazon and its partners have or are in the process of reimbursing me $83 of my $114 purchase price. Wouldn't you consider that a substantial price cut?
Cool. I'd be interested to see what those offers were if you care to share.

Yeah, I can definitely see the quality of the offers playing a major part in determining ongoing sales success shy of further direct pricing cuts.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes View Post
Cool. I'd be interested to see what those offers were if you care to share.

Yeah, I can definitely see the quality of the offers playing a major part in determining ongoing sales success shy of further direct pricing cuts.
Special Offers for new Kindle (KSO)
Old 05-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #19
hodad66
Beachside Member
hodad66 doesn't litterhodad66 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
I should be receiving my "special offers" Kindle today
after using my Sony 505 for the past year and a half.
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #20
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodad66 View Post
It will be interesting to read your impressions of the Kindle. I hope that you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodad66 View Post
Congrats

When you get a chance, let us know which offers are available to you. I'm interested in knowing if you're eligible for the previous offers, most of which have passed "request by" deadlines.

Here's a thread about the offers Amazon has presented to date:

Special Offers for new Kindle (KSO)
Old 05-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #22
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Those are some nice offers. I have a Roku and love it. Incidentally Amazon streaming movies can be purchased through the Roku, so that's a smart offer on their part.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #23
shibamistress
Groupie
shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO (3G), Nook Color, android apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieB1984 View Post
I think that if they are able to make it so that it doesn't affect the reading experience, I would save my 25$ and spend it on buying some books to read on my new e-reader!
I'm seriously thinking of the KSO after agonizing over many possibilities. For me too, this is part of the reason: the $25 I save can go for books! And some of the special offers which I saw listed in the KSO special offer thread here, seem pretty appealing.

For me, $25 makes a difference, and now that I know the ads are unobtrusive, I just don't see why not. After trying a variety of e-readers, I know I like the feel of the Kindle (and Sony) best, but since I buy more books from Amazon, it just makes sense as a first e-reader (I already know there will be others in my future!)
shibamistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibamistress View Post
I'm seriously thinking of the KSO after agonizing over many possibilities. For me too, this is part of the reason: the $25 I save can go for books! And some of the special offers which I saw listed in the KSO special offer thread here, seem pretty appealing.

For me, $25 makes a difference, and now that I know the ads are unobtrusive, I just don't see why not. After trying a variety of e-readers, I know I like the feel of the Kindle (and Sony) best, but since I buy more books from Amazon, it just makes sense as a first e-reader (I already know there will be others in my future!)
You really can't go wrong with it. I've had mine for 3 weeks now and have taken advantage of 5 of the 6 offers so far. I only see the screensavers when I want to and the small banner ad on the home page has pretty much disappeared from my view now.

I do make a point of visiting the Special Offers page every 4 days to check out the latest offer (Amazon is releasing these offers every 4 days). If the offers are something you were already going to buy, then the savings amount to free money that you can apply to book purchases.

Other sources of free reading include various public domain websites, the Kindle Store, MobileRead, and later this year you'll be able to borrow library books.

At a $114 (plus the savings from the special offers), the KSO is the best value for a quality ereader. I highly recommend it.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 05-19-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #25
metoo999
Enthusiast
metoo999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I looked at some Youtube video reviews and the ads don't look too intrusive, especially if the big ones are only the screensavers. I picked one up for my significant other. I have the original K3 myself.
metoo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:56 PM   #26
SylvieB1984
Enthusiast
SylvieB1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The more I read about this e-reader, the more I want to buy it for myself too
SylvieB1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:34 AM   #27
El Macho
El Macho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Boox Note 2
I bought a Kindle KSO and had a friend bring it to Beijing for me. I don't mind the KSO ads; the screensaver ads have all been for VISA and Buick, and there's an Olay ad at the bottom of the screen. No big deal, as they're all quite unobtrusive.

My assumption is that in the future we will be able to hack the phone to get rid of the ads, so the opportunity to save $25 now made the KSO too good to pass up.
El Macho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:29 AM   #28
hodad66
Beachside Member
hodad66 doesn't litterhodad66 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
In my case, I don't have WIFI so until I go somewhere and turn on
the wifi I don;t even have the ads. I downloaded seven books delivered
to my PC. If you want the offers connect with the wifi, otherwise, simply
use it like a Sony and you'll never see them.
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #29
metoo999
Enthusiast
metoo999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I wonder, as I've registered the S.O. Kindle already and have the ads, if I revert it to factory and just don't turn on wireless, will it still remain on the account on the Amazon page? Then they can avoid the ads?
metoo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #30
jimh12345
Connoisseur
jimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it is

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Macho View Post
My assumption is that in the future we will be able to hack the phone to get rid of the ads, so the opportunity to save $25 now made the KSO too good to pass up.
That was my plan too. But at this point there doesn't seem to be a jailbreak for it.
jimh12345 is offline   Reply With Quote