Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 05-05-2011, 04:16 AM   #1
ballast
Enthusiast
ballast is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Am I just being paranoid about the B&N 1.2 release push?

Having rooted my Color Nook to Froyo (android 2.2) and having everything running pretty much flawlessly, I became alarmed about the possibility of B&N pushing the new 1.2 release onto my CNook and wiping out all my work.

I have done a backup and I have also done a bootable SD card of the CM7 release of Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)... just in case.

But (and this is my question).... Has anyone actually had the B&N push of the new release 1.2 software overlay their rooted color Nook? (i.e. am I just being paranoid?)
ballast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I have not had this happen (my Color Nook is not rooted). However, if you have WiFi on, from what I have read you are almost guaranteed that it will wipe you out eventually. I could be wrong.

I should think it would be hard to use such a device (without turning on WiFi). What's the point, without WiFi? Or maybe I just am missing something about rooting?

Last edited by RAH; 05-05-2011 at 09:32 AM.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
You mention below that you have Froyo (android 2.2). If you really are using Froyo, you don't have to worry AT ALL.

However, until this recent update, B&N was android 2.1/Eclair, so if all you have done is run the "autonooter", you are still on B&N software which is 2.1/Eclair, with root installed. The B&N eclair (rooted or not) contains the program that automatically downloads updates from B&N.

If you aren't running eclair, you don't have any reason to worry. There is no program in the non B&N Froyo (aka Nookie-froyo), CM7/Gingerbread, or Honeycomb that will contact B&N's software server to download the update.

If you mis-stated, and are rooted, but still on B&N 1.1 which is android 2.1/Eclair, then you would need to take approriate steps to prevent updating if you didn't want to have your NC updated automatically. These steps would be either keeping wifi off or modifying the program on B&N's 1.1 that looks for an update every once in a while.

I don't think anyone knows yet if an rooted NC still on B&N 1.1 will automatically update or not if you don't modify the program that looks for/allows automatic updates.

If you did get updated automatically, you would definitely need to re-root. You also would probably need to set your NC up the way you like it (i.e. download your apps again etc.) If you backed up your apps with a backup program, you could make this pretty painless.

If you do get updated, and lose root, there is a "manual-nooter" now available that has most of the kinks worked out of it, so you can be rooted and enjoy the benefits of Froyo with B&N software. The "manual" refers to that fact that you have take a few extra steps that the old "auto-nooter" for 1.1/1.0 did for you.

By the way, if you really are running froyo, let me strongly suggest that you upgrade to cm7/Gingerbread!!!!!! The only thing that froyo has going for it over cm7/gingerbread is possibly better battery life when in standby, and that should be fixed for cm7 soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballast View Post
Having rooted my Color Nook to Froyo (android 2.2) and having everything running pretty much flawlessly, I became alarmed about the possibility of B&N pushing the new 1.2 release onto my CNook and wiping out all my work.

I have done a backup and I have also done a bootable SD card of the CM7 release of Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)... just in case.

But (and this is my question).... Has anyone actually had the B&N push of the new release 1.2 software overlay their rooted color Nook? (i.e. am I just being paranoid?)

Last edited by jasoraso; 05-05-2011 at 01:08 PM.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Wow, that's great info, jasoraso. Interesting that you can avoid a B&N update if you know how to root it correctly, apparently.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
Elric
Elric began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I have not had this happen (my Color Nook is not rooted). However, if you have WiFi on, from what I have read you are almost guaranteed that it will wipe you out eventually. I could be wrong.
You're right in the sense that you "could be wrong".

By running Froyo, he has completely replaced the OS. The nook is completely decoupled from B&N and will not auto update.
Elric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
ballast
Enthusiast

Repeating the question

Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry to be a little repetitive, but the question is has anyone actually had the new b&n release (1.2) automatically download onto their rooted nook color?

I know that CM7 will prevent this, but I haven't found a book reader app that I like as well as the native Nook software. I am following the progress of the manual rooting process for release 1.2 with interest. (and I have used Titanium to do frequent backups, so if it happens, I am prepared. I just haven't heard from anyone yet who has actually had this happen to them.

Thanks all
Old 05-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
We're just trying to confirm what OS you're actually running. You said,
Quote:
Having rooted my Color Nook to Froyo (android 2.2)
which is a nonsense statement. Either you are running a rooted version of B&N's 1.1 software (Android 2.1 Eclair), in which case, yes, the software will contact B&N for an update which will wipe out your root and any unsupported apps, OR you are running Android 2.2 Froyo, a completely different operating system. Rooting does not upgrade or replace your operating system, it just gives you Super-user (aka Administrator) access to change the device's settings, for instance to allow outside apps. You seem uncertain as to whether you have rooted the B&N software or replaced it with something else entirely.

Based on this statement,
Quote:
I haven't found a book reader app that I like as well as the native Nook software.
I'm guessing it's the former. If you can provide confirmation, perhaps someone can answer your question.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
ballast
Enthusiast

sorry you are right - I just have a rooted version of 1.01 (I don't know why I thought rooting it was doing Froyo, but having looked at my sources, you are correct - it is not froyo 2.2)

So having cleared that up, has anyone actually had B&N push the new update on to their rooted (autonooted) nook color?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I do not think that the update has been pushed out automatically as of yet.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #10
anationalacrobat
anationalacrobat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless + Nook Color + Nook HD+
I can tell you my experience. I also have "autonootered" version 1.1. I've had wifi on periodically since the automatic update was announced, but so far my nook hasn't received it. I've downloaded two new magazine issues that I've been subscribed to for awhile, so I know my nook has been in contact with the B&N system. Of course, I may get the update tomorrow without warning! I really need to figure out the Titanium backup before it's too late.
anationalacrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #11
mckait
mckait began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
So, apparently, if we are connected wirelessly, the nook will get the update automatically?
and some have gotten it and some not yet? Any idea of when we can expect it?
mckait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #12
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckait View Post
So, apparently, if we are connected wirelessly, the nook will get the update automatically?
and some have gotten it and some not yet? Any idea of when we can expect it?
The ones that have gotten it downloaded the file and updated manually. As of last night, I do not believe that B&N has pushed the update out yet. It was supposed to be this week, but there was some bad things that happened with some who did it manually. Maybe that pushed back when they would send it out. Just guessing here.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote