Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
TaureanBull
Guru
TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle 3-3G
Talking Humour

Well, i dont have much to offer here but i would like to have some suggestions on authors and books pertaining to this genre.

I am best when I am amused.

Guys need your help!

TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Well, i dont have much to offer here but i would like to have some suggestions on authors and books pertaining to this genre.

I am best when I am amused.

Guys need your help!

Humour is a big genre, but I'll suggest a few authors with very different styles of humour anyway (apologies if you have already read any of them).

P.G. Wodehouse - very English, gentle humour from a bygone age much of which can be found on this very site for free in the Patricia Clark Memorial Library.

Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams) - sci-fi based comedy. The books are far better than the film!

Disc World (Terry Pratchett) - fantasy based comedy. Hugely successful.

Carl Hiaasen - quite dark satirical comedies set in the corrupt world of modern day Florida.

I'm sure other people will chip in, but hopefully that's a good start.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Take a look at this month's book club nominations. This month's theme is humor.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
TaureanBull
Guru
TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle 3-3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Humour is a big genre, but I'll suggest a few authors with very different styles of humour anyway (apologies if you have already read any of them).

The books are far better than the film!
Disc World (Terry Pratchett) - fantasy based comedy. Hugely successful.

I'm sure other people will chip in, but hopefully that's a good start.
Thanks. I love whatever keeps me amused. So, I am not into any particular type of sub-genre.

IMO books are always far better than the movies in all the cases. Let it be the Jurassic Park series, harry potter, steig larsson etc... Movies kill your visualising capabilities. Its a personal preference and people may differ on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Take a look at this month's book club nominations. This month's theme is humor.
Oooops... I should have known better. Thanks a lot.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
I rather like Tom Holt's books (comic fantasy genre).
Have a look at 'Expecting Someone Taller' or 'The Portable Door' if you can't choose.

If you're more into comic sci-fi then you might like Simon Haynes' 'Hal Spacejock' series.

Other authors which might also fall in the comic genre:
- Stephen Fry
- Ron Goulart
- Robert Rankin
- Christopher Moore
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I agree with the Hitchhiker's Guide and Carl Hiaasen reccomendations. Christopher Moore (Fool, A Dirty Job, The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove) is also very funny.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

You might want to hunt up Evolution Man by Roy Lewis. I would have nominated it for this months book club, but it is not available as an ebook. In fact it was hard to track down a copy. Very funny though.

Spoiler:
The Evolution Man is a novel about your basic upwardly mobile Pleistocene cave family - as they come down from trees (except for Uncle Vanya, who insists that it's the stupidest thing man ever did), dislodge a family of bears from the best cave in the neighborhood, and widen their digestive horizons to keep down things not only disgusting but disagreeable as well. Life cannot be all snails and sweetbreads. Recorded here is the correct version of the invention of fire, the first intellectual argument about shadows, and an eye-witness account of the first human courtship.

James Thurber's stuff is always funny as well.