Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

Device: 903
Bugtracker - Pocketbook Pro - 2.0.5

I open a new thread as the other stick thread was quite mixed up with other models.

One of the news in 2.0.5 is that they have now changed the RSS reader. Well, I worry not to the better. I guess they ported one program called elinks (which is a text based web browser) to be used in their RSS reader. Now, if you read the news, it will be directly opened in this new webbrowser which starts quite fast etc. so that is all good so far. You will then see the entries and can select the individual items and you will get the full article.

However, the bug is the following which almost makes the RSS reader worse than what we had.

You cannot read the downloaded news while being offline.

It is a major bug but easy to fix. It is just a little thing they forgot. Here comes the story:
You download the latest news and the reader asks you to go online to get the news. The news are downloaded. They are now stored as hrss files and actually contain the content of the feed as in previous editions (without the full article).

Now, when you select this hrss file (from the directory news) you will be asked if the reader can go online again. If you say yes, all is fine and the downloaded news will be displayed. If, however you say no you will get an "unkown error" and nothing happens.

So what do we have now? Downloaded news which cannot be displayed while travelling as you need an internet connection. So with this current version more is lost than gained compared to the January version of 2.0.4.

This is easy to fix for the GiK, just ask to go online if someone goes to an EXTERNAL address not the local filesystem. But if it's right that it all is based on elinks (which I believe is also GPL) we will get the source code anyway in the next 14 days and we can fix it ourselves.
review is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
OphReader
Connoisseur
OphReader began at the beginning.

Device: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by review View Post
...we will get the source code anyway in the next 14 days and we can fix it ourselves.
How can you be so sure, may I ask?
OphReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

I don't have any more inside knowledge than any of you. So yes, I can't be sure that it'll be released in the next 14 days. However, they have promised the sources to be released in March and by my own nature I'm still optimistic that they will be able to do so.

But please (!) don't let us go into this debate here yet again. It has been discussed over and over again and the tone has become so harming that people got hurt.

My comment was just on the basis of my nature and was not in anyway meant to be understood in a sarcastic way.

Thank you!

Last edited by review; 03-12-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
review
Addict

Edit picture / image (aka notetaking) in FBReader

Well, the way how you get there has been described elsewhere before. There is just one major bug which makes it unusable for me.

The screen update is really slow.

I'm not surprised as I've worked on the development of annotation for pdf and the djviewer before and stopped it because the screen update was making it impossible to write.

Now, if you think differently, go to scribble and write a few lines. Then go back to "edit picture" in FBReader. There are world between those two. In scribble you can write in FBreader you can't really write.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
review
Addict

dictionary while turning the page

The release notes for 2.0.5 say:
Now there is a possibility to turn pages of the book, when the dictionary is opened.

I tested it in Adobe and it works for pdfs but for epubs in Adobe it doesn't work for me.

You can not leave the dictionary open while turning the page, it'll crash your reader and you have to force close the application. In fact you can`t even look up a word. However, the note from the release note is quite vague and it is not said to which program and filetype it refers to.
Advert
Old 03-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #6
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
Are we really talking about the 'Arabic Firmware 2.0.5', I personally skipped it since it seems like an intermediate bug-fix release ? or is this another release that wasn't made globally available ?

Also could you confirm if someone fixed the Portuguese dictionaries ? I've not much use for them but I did notice that those English-Portuguese dictionaries seem like English-English instead.

Last edited by J.C.; 03-13-2011 at 12:06 AM. Reason: typo
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
atango
Enthusiast
atango began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 902pro
The new rss-reader (Pocketnews) doesn't render Korean font. The previous reader could read UTF8 fonts. Now it looks like it cannot render unicode.
atango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
Bonex
Connoisseur
Bonex began at the beginning.

Device: KDXG, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
Wow... None of the problems I had with 2.0.4 were corrected. I'm back to 2.0.3 again.

Problems I found:

1. Dictionary app: now the app tries to look up the word after each letter you input, making it very slow to digit the word you need.
2. Similarly to the above, in Adobe EPUB the dictionary looks up every word while you move the cursor through the page to the word you need. It is really cumbersome, now. Please, can we manually set the delay before the dictionary app starts to look up the word?
3. In Adobe PDF the dictionary very often doesn't find the word. I mean, even words like "while" or "from". Of course the word is in the dictionary, but the app misses to recognize it. In particular, this happens with conjugated verbs like "showed".

I'm waiting for 2.0.6... in the meanwhile I'll keep using 2.0.3 which at least does not have the first two problems.

BTW, are there any PB reps browsing the English forum any more (and reading this thread) after Mtravelerh decided to leave?
Bonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #9
sarkash
Enthusiast
sarkash has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PB 902
"pdfviewer" has been rendered useless or am i missing something!

no page navigation anymore!!!

"pdfviewer" was the only viewer which had a working "Fit width" implementation...

... so i have no other option but to go back to 2.0.4 and loose the newly working note-taking and bookmarking function in "pdfviewer"... very sad
sarkash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
So the Portuguese dictionaries seem to be En-En-Pt rather then En-Pt which might be a good tip to keep in mind when the En-En dictionary fails.

So far the only thing very obvious to me is that despite some changes and the online-update there is still no option to edit the ppp script a connection will use, so no internet for me yet.

Edit: p.s. someone should really sticky this thread or create an official sticky one, there really should be different threads for models using different firmware to keep things more organized.
or even better some sub-forums.

Edit 2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarkash View Post

Yes, it seems that they forgot to keep the key assignment of the nav-pad for page navigation seriously degrading the user experiance.
Having 'up' change the zoom is not particularly useful when you have no way to actually read most of the zoomed in page.....

Last edited by J.C.; 03-13-2011 at 02:23 PM.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #11
cipri
Banned
cipri is on a distinguished road

Device: PB 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarkash View Post

"pdfviewer" was the only viewer which had a working "Fit width" implementation...

... so i have no other option but to go back to 2.0.4 and loose the newly working note-taking and bookmarking function in "pdfviewer"... very sad

Yes, this is the great result of 3 or 4 month of development!!!!

It's so disgusting.
cipri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #12
pjdfred
pjdfred began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
How do you access the new note-taking functionality?
pjdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #13
review
Addict

@pjdfred
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...61#post1423761
Old 03-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #14
pjdfred
pjdfred began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Oh, now I see. Take an image note, then you can edit it, and via a convoluted path you can view it again later. There's no drawing on top of the PDF, like my Irex DR1000S used to do before it so sadly died... (the Irex handled this by displaying the PDF in xournal rather than pdfviewer.)
pjdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:47 PM   #15
osowiecki
Connoisseur
osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ASUS eee Note / Nook Touch
Editing image notes works really slow on my device.
fw 2.0.5
osowiecki is offline   Reply With Quote