Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
The comic pages are kindling.

A ebook reader (looks like a Kindle) story line in Mary Worth!

http://www.seattlepi.com/fun/comic.a...ate=2011-01-24
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Man: "Maybe you just need to use it for a little while! You can borrow mine if you want!"
Old Woman: "No, I know myself! I like reading something that doesn't rely on batteries or electricity!"

Man: "There's no need to be afraid of a little technology!"
Old Woman: "I'm not afraid!"

You're right! It looks like a K3! Wow, it's a week's worth of panels so boring that they had to exclusively use exclamation points to make it more interesting! Like they're yelling at each other all the time! And it's funny because the older person is refusing technology! But I bet she comes around in the end! Stay tuned!

Last edited by queentess; 01-28-2011 at 01:03 PM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
You're right! It looks like a K3! Wow, it's a week's worth of panels so boring that they had to exclusively use exclamation points to make it more interesting! Like they're yelling at each other all the time! And it's funny because the older person is refusing technology! But I bet she comes around in the end! Stay tuned!

Which, tangentally, brings up one of my favorite blogs, and where I heard about the Kindle plot line (I don't actually read Mary Worth!)

http://joshreads.com/
Old 01-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
(I don't actually read Mary Worth!)
Heavens to Betsy! I didn't think for an instant that you did! Your reputation is intact!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
queentess
Reading is sexy

Quote:
Which, tangentally, brings up one of my favorite blogs, and where I heard about the Kindle plot line (I don't actually read Mary Worth!)

http://joshreads.com/
I had to come back from that site and share this:

Quote:
Attention, manufacturers of electronic gadgets and gizmos! Have you saturated all conventional media with ads for your iPad/Kindle/Nook/whatever? Are you wondering how to reach that lucrative 65-and-older shut-in demographic? There’s no way to get more value for your marketing dollar than to purchase product placement in Mary Worth.
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
My favorite comic about ebooks or ereaders so far was the Mother Goose on 8/21/2010 (I think):

Ralph: "I downloaded a new book at the bookstore today. The author was there and said he'd sign it for no extra charge."

Ralph: "But now I can't read the words because his signature is in the way."

Ralph: "So I guess I'll have to buy another iPad and download his novel again."

Grimm: (Looking sardonic) "Who said publishing’s in trouble?"

(Can be viewed at The Cartoonist Group here!)

Last edited by Anthem; 01-28-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
queentess
Reading is sexy

Apparently Amazon decided to pay up... on the latest comic, it does indeed refer to it as a Kindle.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Apparently Amazon decided to pay up... on the latest comic, it does indeed refer to it as a Kindle.
Yes, but she still rejects it! I have to admit, I thought it was product placement too, until she finally put her foot down.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneD View Post
Yes, but she still rejects it! I have to admit, I thought it was product placement too, until she finally put her foot down.
The "Mary Worth" character is an opinionated busybody. I predict (after seeing today's strip also involving a gadget) the "moral" of the story arc will involve the dehumanizing aspect of modern technology and how people should put their devices away and talk face to face (and read from sheets of pulped wood.)
Old 02-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
queentess
Reading is sexy

Quote:
The "Mary Worth" character is an opinionated busybody. I predict (after seeing today's strip also involving a gadget) the "moral" of the story arc will involve the dehumanizing aspect of modern technology and how people should put their devices away and talk face to face (and read from sheets of pulped wood.)
A sad attempt to get people to buy newspapers featuring the comic?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Checking back in on the comic-- over a month later and the same story line is dragging on, in the direction I predicted.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #12
queentess
Reading is sexy

Addicts are funny! And everyone who knows about that damn tweeter thing must be an addict! Because technology scares me!

I daresay this comic is worse than Family Circle.