Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
Gadgetguy
Connoisseur
Gadgetguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Using calibre to convert a large number of ebooks?

Hello all,

I have a collection of several thousand ebooks (epub, mobi, pdf etc.) - all nicely catalogued in Calibre.

I would like to transfer a subset of those books onto an 8GB SD card, which I got for the 650.

I have two options: keep the 650 connected and transfer -> I do not like that.

What I would like to do is either use the SD card in a memory card reader or even better, designate a folder on my HDD and use Calibre to convert all the files using the Sony export plug in. When this is complete then I would just copy paste the folder from the HDD to the SD card, plug the SD card in, and I am ready to go.

The challenge: I do not find a way to use the Sony output profile (and the associated conversion) without attaching the reader (and then the output goes to the reader, not to a folder on my HDD).

Is there a way to do this ( convert a selection of ebooks in Calibre to Sony format into a folder on my HDD, without attaching the reader)?

Any ideas / suggestions would be really welcome!
Gadgetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Here's what I'd do to send only PDFs and ePubs to a folder on the HDD and automatically convert other formats using the Sony Plugin:

1. Click "Preferences", "Common Options" (under the Conversion section).
2. Under "Page Setup" (icon bar on the left) set your output profile to "Sony Reader" (I'd also reduce the margins, but that's a personal preference). Under "Look and Feel", I suggest checking "Smarten Punctuation".
3. Apply changes (green check mark).
4. If you want to preserve the cover aspect ratio, or prevent the generation of a default cover, select "Output Options", check the appropriate boxes and apply changes.
5. Scroll down to click "Plugins", "Device Interface Plugins", "Folder Device Interface". Click "Customize Plugins", and uncheck everything except PDF and ePub. Save and exit preferences.
6. Click "Connect/Share" and select or create the folder you want to use.
7. Make your ebook selections and click "Send to Device" (the device at this point is your previously selected folder). When Calibre asks if you'd like to auto convert incompatible, say yes.
8. After Calibre completes it's Herculean task, copy/move the files to the SD card using any method you like.

Last edited by trekchick; 03-02-2011 at 12:58 PM.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Gadgetguy
Connoisseur
Gadgetguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thank you - this is exactly what I was looking for!
Gadgetguy is offline   Reply With Quote