Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-10-2011, 05:10 AM   #16
jt99
jt99 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Sorry to intrude, but I am totally confused by the way this forum works -- and cannot even work out how to introduce myself, despite repeated requests to do so. I just want to get a question answered. i.e. when I load an epub document into Sigil to edit, it is too large for Sigil to handle. About 20% get cut off the end.
I have searched hundreds of Sigil forum entries, but no luck. Am I the only person with this problem?

Thanks.
jt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:03 AM   #17
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I have never heard of it before. How large is the epub?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 06:28 AM   #18
jt99

epub document is 52kb
Old 03-10-2011, 06:30 AM   #19
jt99

That's odd, just checked a previous document I had no problem with was over 200kb
Old 03-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #20
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Try deselecting the 'Tidy' toolbar icon and reloading the file, it may be a problem tag that makes Tidy truncate the file.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #21
sparkletown
sparkletown began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Is the <!--[if !mso]> right? As is, it's interpreted as a comment start (<!--), and the comment end (-->) should be further down, in that case don't delete the start.

If it's <!--[if !mso]--> instead, that's a full comment, and can be safely deleted.
I'm not quite sure what you mean. I've tried to delete every possible section, but more errors arrise. Any other way you can help me to understand what I'm doing?

Really - Thanks for your help.
sparkletown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you cleaned up and/or removed all the garbage added in by Word? maybe Lulu is having trouble with the Word garbage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #23
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It does look like Word garbage from saving to HTML instead of filtered HTML.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
My suggestion is to edit the ePub to remove all the garbage put in my Word and then if it validates with FlightCrew, submit to Lulu. But first make sure it still looks good. That means no excess lines between paragraphs, no excess margins, justified, default font size for the body text, no excess indents (5% is silly), and no @font or font family in CSS put in by Word.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
My experience is that even filtered HTML has a lot of garbage like forcing all font sizes and other bad things.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:32 AM   #26
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My suggestion is to edit the ePub to remove all the garbage put in my Word and then if it validates with FlightCrew, submit to Lulu. But first make sure it still looks good. That means no excess lines between paragraphs, no excess margins, justified, default font size for the body text, no excess indents (5% is silly), and no @font or font family in CSS put in by Word.
Absolutly. That is wat I usually do. Strip almost everything and recreate. The only things I keep are italics and style references. Only the references, because I use my own style definitions.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #27
sparkletown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yep, still a lot of word stuff in there.

Will get deleting and let you know how I get on (For my sake and the countless others going through this process).

Thanks again, wise people of the forum!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #28
sparkletown

I have deleted portions of the word 'garbage' and some seems to effect the document and others do not. For example, the main chunk near the top of the document can be edited out with success, but not other parts. I have experimented with getting rid of the code that is providing the error, but the error still remains! Is all the word stuff the green code?

Is there any way I could sent my document to one of you guys to have a look at? I would really appreciate that as something that was supposed to take a week tops has ended up being nearly 3 now.

Cheers.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:03 AM   #29
Toxaris
Wizard

That's ok by me. I would also recommend the book from Liz Castro though. She does mention how to strip word garbage. Not the way I like it, but it is a start. I think she leaves to much there.

But, send the file to me and I will take a look at it.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:37 AM   #30
sparkletown

Quote:
That's ok by me. I would also recommend the book from Liz Castro though. She does mention how to strip word garbage. Not the way I like it, but it is a start. I think she leaves to much there.

But, send the file to me and I will take a look at it.
Thanks so much, sent to your PM inbox.

Tags
calibre, epub, fix, lulu, sigil