Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
SD Card

Well I'm an idiot! My new Jetbook will no longer read cards. All because I tried to put it in backwards. I don't suppose there is any way to fix that? I get the message about updating file list, please do not remove SD card. But the data on the card does not show up. Also going into Settings and SD card file manager, shows no data present. Argghhh!

Also, I tried 2 different cards in the Jetbook, both of which work fine in the netbook.

Last edited by booklover6; 04-30-2011 at 04:48 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Just in case ... did you try simply turning the JBL back on and removing and then reinserting the card?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did. I will try it again. I just sent Ectaco a note asking what the warranty covers, since there is no warranty info in or on the box.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... you can't put an SD card in "backwards", with the JBL all you would do is feel
the spring pushing on it and then the end of its travel would leave a quarter inch still
sticking out. Even if you try it flipped over with the contacts up/towards the screen,
you should notice that it is not going in properly and just have it in a little and crooked.

Did you notice any breaking noises, if you some how forced it in?

Can you read the card in another reader?

Have you tried a reset using the hole on the back of the JetBook?

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 04-30-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Ken, it wasn't in all the way, and I was able to pry it back out with my fingers. It was flipped face up instead of down. I just wasn't paying attention. I didn't hear any noises.

The reset button! I'll try that next, thanks. I was trying to think if there was another thing I could try. I hope that fixes it....I just love the Jetbook.

ETA - No change after resetting twice.

Last edited by booklover6; 04-30-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Does the card work if plugged directly into a card reader on your computer? It may be bad or need reformatting.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Yes I double checked and the card is fine, all the data is fine. But when put into the Jetbook it knows the card is there, but says there is no data.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:03 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yes I double checked and the card is fine, all the data is fine. But when put into the Jetbook it knows the card is there, but says there is no data.
Try looking in the card slot and see if there is some foreign objects in there. Perhaps some got scraped off when you inserted it wrong. Use a flashlight. Try another card if you have one.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:17 AM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There has been a few threads where the card reader stopped working, I don't know if
it was caused by the same sequence of events as your situation, but they were fixed
by going to the diagnostic screen and restoring factory defaults. I don't know if it was
needed for this but you might as well reflash the NOR memory while you are at it.

The procedure is part of my standard boilerplate:

Firmware Repair and/or Diagnostic Screen Access how to:

The thing is, you can fairly easily reset the JBL to factory settings and install the current
firmware on the device.

Make sure you have a fresh set of batteries in your JBL then:

You should remove any SD card from your JBL and connect the USB cable to backup your
JBL's internal memory, to a folder on your PC's hard drive. There should be a new drive
letter for your JBL's internal memory on your PC now. (If you had an SD card in the JBL,
there would also be a new drive letter for that.)

It is much better to have a USB 2.0 SD/Media Card reader/writer connected to your PC
and work with your SD cards using that, but if all you have is the JBL it is possible
to use it to make your update/repair SD card.

Reformatting the JBL's internal memory to FAT32 is a good idea and running ChkDsk on it
while you have the JBL connected to your PC with the USB cable is a good idea as well.
After the internal memory is cleaned up you would copy the contents you saved earlier
back onto your device.

If you can get passed the logo screen then you should be able to do this:

First if you only have one SD card then you will want to back it up to a folder on your
PC's hard drive.

Format an SD card for use during the update of the firmware. (I still use FAT16 for this
although I understand that FAT32 works as well.) The formatting will insure a clean card
and root directory into which the three update folders go.

Be sure to use a firmware update with all three folders to make the SD card. Insert the
SD card into the JBL.(They should be the folders not .zip files, unzip to your Hard Drive
first.)

Make sure the USB cable is not connected at this point.

Then you go to the Diagnostics Menu built into the JBL, it is here that you can do the
#13 - Reflash NOR and the #7 - restore factory defaults

To enter the diagnostics screen:
Reset the device. Then hold down three buttons.
They are: "on/off" "zoom" and "menu".
When you see the jetBook screen let go of "on.off".
Keep holding the "zoom" and "menu" keys until you see a 16 item screen.
It's tricky, so it may take a couple of tries.

Then you can reflash the NOR Memory and restore the JBL to factory defaults.

After that is done reset the JBL.

Now you can update the firmware as you normally would.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70171
(Use the link to the Ectaco/jetBook site for the latest download.)

Follow all directions and don't play with any settings you don't understand.

This procedure should fix any firmware related problem. If you have a valid download
of valid firmware and this doesn't fix the problem then it is a hardware issue.

Luck;
Ken
Old 05-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Ken, I haven't tried that yet.

This morning I inserted the SD card while it was off. Turned it on, and it showed all the files on the card. However when I arrowed back, it showed an SD folder but would not show contents. Have not been able to repeat this. However now it always shows an SD folder. Which I know it should not do.

I looked inside with a light and my glasses, didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Anyway, charging it up now then I'll play with it some more.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Time to send it back under warranty. I would guess that your reverse insert had nothing to do with the problem. I have put the SD card in backwards half the time and nothing came of it. There is a pretty good plastic tab in the bottom of the slot that stops the insertion if it is wrong and you would know if you pushed so hard that you broke it off.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks, I am thinking that is what I will have to do. It sometimes hangs when trying to open a book from internal memory, I have a book on there in html which I have been reading, once again it is hanging when trying to reopen it. If they don't reply to my email today, I will call them.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I followed your instructions Ken, and set to factory default. It would not reflash the nor.

I have tried to update to .034b numerous times, it goes to a firmware update failed screen.

Currently it shows an SD card file on the JBL but it will not open the file (which only has the 3 firmware folders--and I did format the card before putting the folders on.

So it appears to me that the SD card reader in the JB is completely nonfunctional.

Opinions--should I try to get Ectaco to fix or replace this Jetbook? It did work fine until I attempted to put the card in upside down.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #14
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I followed your instructions Ken, and set to factory default. It would not reflash the nor.

I have tried to update to .034b numerous times, it goes to a firmware update failed screen.

Currently it shows an SD card file on the JBL but it will not open the file (which only has the 3 firmware folders--and I did format the card before putting the folders on.

So it appears to me that the SD card reader in the JB is completely nonfunctional.

Opinions--should I try to get Ectaco to fix or replace this Jetbook? It did work fine until I attempted to put the card in upside down.
I would go ahead and ask for an RMA from Ectaco, I doubt that your attempt
to insert the SD card could or should have caused the problems you are
having. If they find that excessive force was used to insert the SD card,
for instance broken plastic inside the card reader, they might feel you were
not entitled to a free replacement, but I very much doubt that that will
happen.

Luck;
Ken
Old 05-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I heard back from Ectaco and they told me to send it back for a replacement. So it will go out in today's mail. I hope it doesn't take too long to get a replacement!