Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
Hibiki Rush
Hibiki Rush began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Changing options for how Calibre renames files?

I recently bought my first e-reader and have been trying to convert comics. I figured out what works best for me somewhat, which is converting them into ZIP and then using the CBR file on my Pictures directory on the Kindle DX G.

One problem I have run into is with the naming method that Calibre uses when the image files are created. The files are named as 0_0, 1_0, 2_0...10,0, 11_0 and so on. The problem is when I load the comic on the Kindle, it reads it out of order by the structure of 0_0, 1_0, 10_0, 11_0 and so on.

Is there any setting in Calibre that can force the filenames to be triple digit, ie 000_0, 001_0 etc? I know I can batch rename these in other software but I would hope there is a solution in Calibre.
Hibiki Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:28 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Since your comic is presumably already in CBZ form why do you need to convert it? And if you do want to convert it, convert it to epub and unzip that, IIRC, conversion to epub preserves file names.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
Hibiki Rush

I am converting to remove blank space on the edges of the pages and to resize to 1200x824 dimensions to utilize the maximum display of the KDXG. The cropping is for more viewing area and the resize is a file size consideration.

I just tried to epub method, unzipping the file but it retains the same file naming structure as before. Though I did notice now that the unzipped epub files are darker/more contrasty than the other files I am getting through the zip file which are brighter. So I don't know why that is happening now, but I prefer the epub look.

Either way the renaming issue is more of a concern for me, it is only my 2nd day with the Kindle so I am trying to figure things out. I've checked all the Calibre options and don't see any configuration for renaming, I might have to do it with an image management software.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:34 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why dont you convert straight to MOBI?
Old 12-19-2012, 03:36 AM   #5
Hibiki Rush

And the comic I have is in cbr format and I don't think it is viewable by default on the Kindle so it needs conversion. I also want to make sure the Kindle processes it as pictures so that I get the maximum 1200x824 resolution.

Edit: To add to above reply Kovid, I don't think MOBI will show up as an image and will have margins on the display.
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 03:55 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

MOBI will work fine as a sequence of images. I dont recall if it will have margins or not, but if it does, you can convert to PDF instead.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:00 AM   #7
Hibiki Rush

WhileMOBI and PDF will work for images, it is not ideal as they will not display in the Kindle's Picture Viewer (which allows viewing at full resolution of 1200x824). For MOBI format the maximum resolution displayed will be 1022x744 due to the toolbar.

I believe Calibre should rename the files in a different manner, as with the current method the Kindle will always display the pictures out of order due to it always sorting by the first digit.

I have no solution as of right now other than to use Mangle instead which seems to handle renaming much better (in series of 5-digits, ie 00001, 00002, etc). Unfortunately Mangle does not crop the borders of the comic.