Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #16
Alm Hlgh
BelieveNLove Alm Hlgh
Alm Hlgh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alm Hlgh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alm Hlgh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alm Hlgh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alm Hlgh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alm Hlgh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alm Hlgh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alm Hlgh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alm Hlgh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alm Hlgh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alm Hlgh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I don't think anyone was trying to be mean, just pointing out information that should have been provided.

Alm, here are a couple pointers to having an ad that works:
#1 - Link directly to the book, not the vanity press website
#2 - As this is mobileread, it should be an ebook
#3 - I couldn't tell anything about the story from the blurb here, so I'm not going to the bother of looking it up when the link click went nowhere and a search on the site revealed nothing. A synopsis or list of genre or anything would be helpful.
#4 - Rethink how you use semi-colons. It's a big turn-off when you're trying to sell your writing and can't use semi-colons properly.

Also, you're reposting your mobileread posts on your blog? I have to admit I find that a little odd...
Dear Queentess:
I didn't by any means take it that anyone was being mean. I'm not small minded like that. I enjoy reading how people react to things like this and I am forever amazed by it. Thank you so much for your input and advice. Life is a learning process and I'm still learning the ropes. Take care and be bless. God loves you most.

Alm

Last edited by Alm Hlgh; 02-22-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Alm Hlgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #17
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alm Hlgh View Post
"A lie/ rumor will travel the world 3 times over before TRUTH has the time to get out of bed and put his shoes on."

God Bless you..

"Out of the FRYING pan and into the fire."
"Six of one, half dozen of THE other."
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #18
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
lolololo..... Even though you didn't use a single cap I can swear I hear you yelling at me... I don't know what has you so angry at the world, but how about I buy you a glass of orange juice? It seems to make everything all better... Take care love it is a great pleasure hearing from you and I enjoy your taking a special interest in my work... Suddenly I am reminded of a saying:

"A lie/ rumor will travel the world 3 times over before TRUTH has the time to get out of bed and put his shoes on."

God Bless you..
I think you're projecting.

I'm not yelling ... not even thinking angrily ... actually, I'm feeling remarkably laid-back right now. I'm certainly not angry at the world, nor even at you. Though I would like some orange juice; it tastes horrible hot, but it's as good as cough syrup.

I would appreciate not being called a liar, though.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #19
Alm Hlgh
BelieveNLove Alm Hlgh
Alm Hlgh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alm Hlgh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alm Hlgh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alm Hlgh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alm Hlgh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alm Hlgh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alm Hlgh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alm Hlgh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alm Hlgh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alm Hlgh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alm Hlgh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Alm,
I hope you don't get the wrong idea after all this bashing: this is in general a friendly site that welcomes readers, writers, editors and software developers.
I hope you are not discouraged.
Welcome to MobileRead. This is a great site.
Best regards
Pablo
Thank you Pablo, again like I was telling Queentess "I am by no means offended or hurt by this." This is an opportunity of growth and learning. Take care and be bless...
Old 02-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here are the problems. The topic has nothing to do with the thread. The link to go look at the book is to a sight we have to search to find the but the search on that sight is broken.

Given the difficulties involved, it's just easier to forget about this book and move on. Sorry, but this is not how you promote your book. You could have at least given the direct link to the book. But as it's not too late, I'm not interested in even bothering should a direct link appear in this thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #21
Alm Hlgh
BelieveNLove Alm Hlgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post

"Out of the FRYING pan and into the fire."
"Six of one, half dozen of THE other."
lololo.... you know I wished I had read this post 1st... Did I call him/ her a liar? Oops, my bad; like I said I was suddenly reminded of a saying. It was just that simple no innuendos intended-- seriously.

Last edited by Alm Hlgh; 02-22-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #22
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Did I call him/ her a liar? Oops, my bad; like I said I was suddenly reminded of a saying. It was just that simple no innuendos intended-- seriously.
Yes, you just randomly happened to be reminded of a saying about liars, and you just randomly happened to post that saying in response to a quoted post of mine, but no, you didn't mean anything by it; it was just ... random. Also, I've got this bridge to sell....

There's something else you need to realize, Alm: the people in MobileRead are not, in fact, dumb. You might be smarter than the people you know in real life, but you're not smarter than everyone here. "When I posted about lies and liars in response to your post but I didn't say you specifically" doesn't fool anyone.

And, in fact, everything I said was the verifiable truth. Well, except for whether I want orange juice; you'll just have to trust me on that one. And on a related note, there is obviously one silly person here -- someone's giving karma to a probable nascent spammer, namely the guy who's posted gibberish in this and other threads, and is probably building his post count for something we'd be happier without.

Last edited by Worldwalker; 02-22-2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spurious "a" removal
Old 02-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #23
Alm Hlgh
BelieveNLove Alm Hlgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Yes, you just randomly happened to be reminded of a saying about liars, and you just randomly happened to post that saying in response to a quoted post of mine, but no, you didn't mean anything by it; it was just ... random. Also, I've got this bridge to sell....

There's something else you need to realize, Alma: the people in MobileRead are not, in fact, dumb. You might be smarter than the people you know in real life, but you're not smarter than everyone here. "When I posted about lies and liars in response to your post but I didn't say you specifically" doesn't fool anyone.

And, in fact, everything I said was the verifiable truth. Well, except for whether I want orange juice; you'll just have to trust me on that one. And on a related note, there is obviously one silly person here -- someone's giving karma to a probable nascent spammer, namely the guy who's posted gibberish in this and other threads, and is probably building his post count for something we'd be happier without.
You've got a bridge to sell? Wow, how ironic is that; I was just looking for one to buy. Is it blue or white? Wooden or steel? Actually I'm partial to glass; it can be transparent you know and easily broken if pressed too hard. Anyways, post it on Ebay, I'lll wait for it, k?

btw my name isn't Alma... just saying.

Last edited by Alm Hlgh; 02-22-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #24
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Oops, sorry about the Alma. My fingers are more used to typing "Alma" than "Alm" so they tend to add an extra letter out of sheer habit, without even checking with my higher thought functions. I usually catch that sort of thing (it happens with a number of words, such as my fingers being determined to type "server" any time I start a word with "se") but I must have missed. Mea culpa.

You might want to check out the signature guidelines, too. The reason people here don't have signatures as large as yours is not actually that they're not smart enough to think of it.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #25
Alm Hlgh
BelieveNLove Alm Hlgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
All caps because the author is Really Important ... yep.
Post icon because the author is much more Important than other authors ... yep.
Thread title gives no clue about what the story is about, what formats it's in, etc. ... yep.
Post contains Flash ... yep.
And most of all, post is telling me what I think, what I want, and what I've said ... yep.

/me flees for dear life.

Whatever this book is, I will stay far, far away.

edit - add: Link goes to a vanity press, from where I would presumably have to search (except search is broken) for the book if I wanted to bother ... oh, totally yep.
You know the thing about me is, I generally am cool on the surface but all the while the little wheels in my mind are subconsciously turning. Anyway I kind of went through the thread "Self-Promotions" and I found a number of threads that were started with ALL CAPS and no one (especially you) was harping all over them about using caps; nor was there anyone ranting endlessly about them being self important than others etc. as you stated to me in your first post.
________
THE SCRUBS by Simon Janus
FROM VEGAS WITH BLOOD - a mysterious night in Vegas on your e-book reader...
DEMON CANDY by David Michael (Horror/Dark Urban Fantasy)
THE FEAR - novelette, $1.99 (Psychological horror)
AMSTERDAM 2012 - Political Thriller, $2.99
Gateway Drug by Scott Nicholson
WE ALL FALL DOWN--Thriller
Children's book IF I WERE YOUR MONSTER

Gotta tell you now I feel like crying. Yup you won you actually hurt my feelings for singling me out for something that seems like is pretty prevalent in this forum. So I guess you must be my first anti-fan. Thank you so much for that distinguished honor. Anyways, take care of yourself and God Bless. If you see me coming before I see you, turn away.

Alm...
Old 02-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #26
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Notice, though, that while they put the titles of their books in caps, that's not the whole thread title? And notice, too, that they say things like "Thriller" or "Children's book" or "Horror"?

And I don't believe you feel like crying any more than I believe you just randomly posted a quote about lies in a response to one of my posts. Sorry, that's a drama queen's response, not a writer's.

I've been keeping an eye on your book listing, just out of curiosity. You know how when you pointed out I'd typed "Alma" instead of "Alm" a couple of times, I went back and fixed my posts right away? I haven't seen any changes to that book blurb full of random $0's. Personally, I would have spotted -- and fixed -- that when I looked at my listing, and if I somehow hadn't, I would have fixed it the instant someone pointed it out to me. Maybe to you, that's another way to tell the world how happy you are. To the rest of the world, it just looks like your word processor hates you.

Helpful hint: write up things like that in Notepad (or your system's equivalent). This will save you all sorts of weird formatting issues when copying and pasting from fancier editors.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:19 PM   #27
Vonta
Vonta began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
this is a funny thread. sounds like love in the air. hmm or did someone just fart?

Last edited by Vonta; 02-22-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Vonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:10 AM   #28
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Moderator Notice
Folks, play nice. Be polite. Be welcoming and helpful to new folk, even, or sometimes especially, if you think they got off on the wrong foot. Some of this is Guidelines (which don't have any provision that says "You can stop being polite if someone contravenes them"). Some of this is a general courtesy we'd anticipate is extended to all new folk and each other.

If any of this is a problem, move on. If you have a problem, you are requested to report it to the Moderator team via the usual means for us to handle.

But mostly, here, move on, because this isn't going anywhere and any ongoing impoliteness or ad hominem responses will help no-one.

Cheers,
Marc
Moderator Team

Last edited by montsnmags; 02-23-2011 at 01:14 AM.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:04 AM   #29
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Alm,
I hope you don't get the wrong idea after all this bashing: this is in general a friendly site that welcomes readers, writers, editors and software developers.
I hope you are not discouraged.
Welcome to MobileRead. This is a great site.
Best regards
Pablo

Alm, I can only repeat what Pablo has said.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #30
Ramen
Connoisseur
Ramen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
Alm, I can only repeat what Pablo has said.

Cheers
Well, none of the points raised have been addressed by Alm.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote