Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 05:52 AM   #1
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Removing DRM from free kindle books

I am not a kindle owner but I would like to enjoy some of the free books that are on Amazon's website. I would like to remove the DRM of these books so that I can read them on my Sony Reader. I hope this isn't crossing a line as the books are free. Obviously I understand why this is a grey area on the Mobileread forums so if someone feels like PM'ing me an answer please do. I downloaded Kindle for PC so that I could get the free kindle books and I read that Calibre can de-DRM kindle books with the proper plugin installed. Well I've installed the proper plugin but now it tells me to configure it in the preferences by entering a PID or serial. Well I don't have a Kindle so how would I go about doing this? Does this method only work for people who actually have kindles? Cheers for any help.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:11 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If you have Kindle for PC installed, and Calibre installed, and the appropriate drm-removing plug-in installed in Calibre, you don't need to do any further configuration.

Just drag&drop your Kindle for PC ebooks into the Calibre library. The DRM will get silently removed, and you can then convert them to your format of choice.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Yes I just found that out-I thought I would give it the old college try. Thanks for your help!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If you have Kindle for PC installed, and Calibre installed, and the appropriate drm-removing plug-in installed in Calibre, you don't need to do any further configuration.

Just drag&drop your Kindle for PC ebooks into the Calibre library. The DRM will get silently removed, and you can then convert them to your format of choice.
Either I didn't download the appropriate plug-in or I didn't get it installed correctly because that sure doesn't work for me.
Gronk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Ask the questions where you got the plugin. You can post comments on the very last post on that blog. Nobody's allowed to go into the details here.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk View Post
Either I didn't download the appropriate plug-in or I didn't get it installed correctly because that sure doesn't work for me.
My comment was written before the recent Kindle for PC update to version 1.5. Read the info at Apprentice Alf's blog.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
robbw
Connoisseur
robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, K3
How can a person tell if the DRM has been successfully removed?
robbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
By being able to read it with a device/application that's not been authorized to read it.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
robbw
Connoisseur
robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
By being able to read it with a device/application that's not been authorized to read it.
For example, reading something on my K2 that was purchased for my K3?

Thanks for the quick response, that was really fast!
Old 06-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbw View Post
Try converting it to a different format. It'll give you a drm error if the drm is still on it.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
For example, reading something on my K2 that was purchased for my K3?
Yes, if you take an ebook file directly from your K3 and put it on your K2 and can read it, then there is no DRM on that ebook.

That situation gets a little tricky if both devices are registered to the same amazon account (since you can download copies for either device from your Archive), but yes, copying a file from one kindle to another won't work if the file has DRM on it. Well, the copying will work but you won't be able to read it.

If you use Calibre, just try to view the file or convert it. You'll get a DRM warning—or you won't.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #12
robbw
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
Try converting it to a different format. It'll give you a drm error if the drm is still on it.
Oh, OK, so within Calibre itself, creating EPUB out of Mobi or AZW?

Thanks, I can try that.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #13
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbw View Post
Oh, OK, so within Calibre itself, creating EPUB out of Mobi or AZW?

Thanks, I can try that.
Yup yup. Good luck
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #14
robbw
Connoisseur

OK, all is well. The "Education of Henry Adams" has been properly schooled. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:55 AM   #15
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
If you have the book loaded in Calibre just click the View icon. If you can read the book in Calibre then it doesn't have DRM - because no book is ever DRM'd for Calibre as the device.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote