Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
OverTwo
Enthusiast
OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
How to get rid of bright yellow lines around book list?

Is there a way to get rid of the bright yellow lines around the book list?

thanks.
OverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTwo View Post
Is there a way to get rid of the bright yellow lines around the book list?
The yellow lines indicate non-expanded areas of calibre.

The only way to get rid of these lines is to expand those areas. Either grab the line and drag the area open or use the three icons (down to the right next to jobs) to expand the book details, tag browser and cover browser.

After you expand them it will look like the attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	66304  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-07-2011 at 11:04 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
OverTwo
Enthusiast
OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hid the other areas because i didn't need them, is that the only way to get rid of them?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #4
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
If you go into Preferences, Look and Feel, you can check Show Cover Browser in A Separate Window, then click Apply. After restarting, the bottom yellow line will be gone. Unfortunately, you cannot get rid of the yellow lines on the side unless you open the Tag Browser Pane and the Book Details Pane.

I can see not needing the Book Details Pane (although I find it to be useful when browsing through the list) but I'm a bit stumped why you wouldn't need the Tag Browser. I've found it very valuable for searches and sorting.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #5
OverTwo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
If you go into Preferences, Look and Feel, you can check Show Cover Browser in A Separate Window, then click Apply. After restarting, the bottom yellow line will be gone. Unfortunately, you cannot get rid of the yellow lines on the side unless you open the Tag Browser Pane and the Book Details Pane.

I can see not needing the Book Details Pane (although I find it to be useful when browsing through the list) but I'm a bit stumped why you wouldn't need the Tag Browser. I've found it very valuable for searches and sorting.

I don't have many books, I've just recently bought a Kindle and have a massive collection that consists of... 3 books.

I can see how it would come in handy if i had a lot, but i don't.
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 01:26 AM   #6
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, either you are going to find you hate the idea of e-books, in case it will not matter about the book and tag panes or you will find you do like e-books, in which case I can just about guarantee your book collection will be "considerably" more than three in pretty short order, especially once you find a source for free classics.

But, you are correct; the book and tag panes are a wee bit of overkill for your present massive collection.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
a bit stumped why you wouldn't need the Tag Browser
in which case I can just about guarantee your book collection will be "considerably" more than three in pretty short order
Personally, I almost never use the Tag Browser. My library has reached the point that there are too many entries for the Browser to be of much use. I do everything with searches and saved searches. It's just easier to type a partial book name or author name into the search bar then scroll through the results.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Personally, I almost never use the Tag Browser. My library has reached the point that there are too many entries for the Browser to be of much use. I do everything with searches and saved searches. It's just easier to type a partial book name or author name into the search bar then scroll through the results.
I use the Author and Series almost daily as well as the custom Subseries and Unread.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I use the Author and Series almost daily as well as the custom Subseries and Unread.
I am in Lady F's camp

Author and Series: Frequently
custom: 'User_Tags' (tags to me that I don't want seen in the jacket)
And managing saved searches
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
One of the things that I really like about not using the Tag Browser is the serendipitous connections I often find between books.

I'll type in an author's name, usually without the "author:" prefix and I'll notice a book in my search results where the publisher's blurb in the Comments mentions that this book is inspired by the author I'm searching for. Or...

I'll type in part of a title for a book I'm looking for ... say "Black Hole" ... and find four other books on that subject. Or ...

I'll type in a character name (in my tags and Comments) and find reviews in other Comments comparing the character in that book to the character in the book/series I'm searching for.

I'm sure there are as many ways to use Calibre as there are users, but I just don't use the Browser much. It's probably also because I use the Content Server so often, where search is available and the TB isn't. I just find it faster to hone in through the search, and save it for later use.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #11
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
One of the things that I really like about not using the Tag Browser is the serendipitous connections I often find between books.

I'll type in an author's name, usually without the "author:" prefix and I'll notice a book in my search results where the publisher's blurb in the Comments mentions that this book is inspired by the author I'm searching for. Or...

I'll type in part of a title for a book I'm looking for ... say "Black Hole" ... and find four other books on that subject. Or ...

I'll type in a character name (in my tags and Comments) and find reviews in other Comments comparing the character in that book to the character in the book/series I'm searching for.

I'm sure there are as many ways to use Calibre as there are users, but I just don't use the Browser much. It's probably also because I use the Content Server so often, where search is available and the TB isn't. I just find it faster to hone in through the search, and save it for later use.
I also use the search function frequently. You are correct that there are as many ways to use Calibre as there are users; it's one of its best features.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
You can get rid of it, just find the widgets.py file in your install and change this line.

painter.fillRect(self.rect(), Qt.yellow)

to

painter.fillRect(self.rect(), Qt.transparent)
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #13
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
You can get rid of it, just find the widgets.py file in your install and change this line.

painter.fillRect(self.rect(), Qt.yellow)

to

painter.fillRect(self.rect(), Qt.transparent)
Ok, this is a perfect example of what I've been talking about lately. I appreciate that you were able to provide an answer and were willing to share it, but you need to keep in mind not everyone who uses calibre is computer savvy. If s/he is not very savvy (like me, for example), this advice would have been useless. I'll speak up and say I have no clue what it meant (one of the advantages of old age is not caring what people think of me) and ask for simple, step by step directions but not everyone is willing to do so.

(BTW, I'm not interested in the explanation for this but the OP might.)

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 02-08-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #14
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
Quote:
Ok, this is a perfect example of what I've been talking about lately. I appreciate that you were able to provide an answer and were willing to share it, but you need to keep in mind not everyone who uses calibre is computer savvy. If s/he is not very savvy (like me, for example), this advice would have been useless. I'll speak up and say I have no clue what it meant (one of the advantages of old age is not caring what people think of me) and ask for simple, step by step directions but not everyone is willing to do so.

(BTW, I'm not interested in the explanation for this but the OP might.)
I don't see what you're talking about, I posted which file to change (widgets.py), and what line to change. I'm not sure what more anyone would need.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #15
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
I don't see what you're talking about, I posted which file to change (widgets.py), and what line to change. I'm not sure what more anyone would need.
What's obvious to you is not obvious to everyone. Where is widgets.py? How does one change it? I'm serious; I wouldn't have a clue and I'm sure I'm not the only one.