Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 05:26 AM   #16
UomoNero
UomoNero began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
i think hanvon change the name, with w800 (sorry if i'm wrong)

http://www.hanvon.com/en/products/eb...ucts-N800.html

I don't know the SoC Ingenic JZ4750, it's powerful enough? to open and turn page fast a 60 MB pdf i mean.

Is the same of WISEReader N618 and N628, if someone has the answer please tell me, meanwhile i check both for performance.
UomoNero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #17
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jian1 View Post
How well is Kindle DX graphite at handling PDF? like I said, I can live up without annotation as long as it displays my books finely then.
Ok, will tell you my own experience:

You can read the document on same page without zooming, or almost. If still too small, you can do landscape mode. I can zoom if needed, but is slow. Turning pages is not as fast as Kindle 3, because the differences between firmwares. I also like that remembers last read page, is a plus when reading a big book or document. I can add bookmarks too.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #18
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
I can live up with compromises.... annotation isn't necessary, but PDF support must be good enough to display the maths book i've mentioned properly, and at least allows me have bookmark.

How about pocketbook 902?

OR..

How well is Kindle DX graphite at handling PDF? like I said, I can live up without annotation as long as it displays my books finely then.
It depends on the program you are entering. If you are using the device to read documents with math, formulas, lots of tables, and lots of figures, the DXG will not be the best device. If you are entering a program where most of the reading is pure text, then the DXG would be fine.

The DXG would have worked fine for my classes in Comparative Politics and some of my International Relations classes. It would not have worked well in my Econometric and Game Theory classes if the books were in PDF form. Most journal articles are going to be found in PDF form.

I enjoy my DXG but it would have worked well for about 1/3 of my class work and dissertation prep.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #19
Thierry.C
Connoisseur
Thierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura about

Device: none yet
I am also looking for a while for an excellent PDF e-reader (PhD student, too).

Spoiler:
Quote:
[...] how about Sony PRS-950? [...]

Attention, the 950 tag of the Sony may be misleading. It is not a 9" (9.7") screen. It is a 7" screen, with an aspect ratio that is unfortunately even more stretched than traditional e-paper screens.

Spoiler:
Quote:
[...] will e-ink pearl be drastically better than vizplex?

I do not own an e-reader yet, but from what I read (see) here and there (and I read a lot...), e-ink Pearl vs. e-ink Vizplex is 50% better in technical specs but the feeling is not as sharp as one could imagine, particularly with the latest Vizplex and firmware (yes, firmware...).

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UomoNero View Post
I'm looking for the same device, why not a eee Note Ea800?
[...]
his only possible drawback (for what i know) is the lcd non backlit display

Thanks for this information.
Regarding its drawbacks, I think that ~12 hours of autonomy is significantly shorter than state-of-the-art e-paper readers. Also, the display is only 8" (same range of weight compared to PB 902).

Notice: 10" displays equal only to A5! (in 16/10 format)

Thierry
Thierry.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #20
UomoNero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry.C View Post
Regarding its drawbacks, I think that ~12 hours of autonomy is significantly shorter than state-of-the-art e-paper readers. Also, the display is only 8" (same range of weight compared to PB 902).

Thierry
Edit: my bad, i try to learn some more information about battery and reply.
you are right about 8", 9.7" is better but i think i prefer speed to 1,7" of view;

i watch some bad video about PB 903 in zoom mode and i'm afraid of trying (i cant see a real sample in italy shop)

i really like to buy a onyx m90 but my iliad is dying, i dont know if i can wait.
Any new idea?

Last edited by UomoNero; 02-01-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #21
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
http://www.noteslate.com/
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #22
UomoNero

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
a little underpowered pdf viewer
Old 02-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #23
PocketBook USA
PocketBook USA began at the beginning.

Device: 902, 701 IQ, 602, 302, 360, 301
You need the PocketBook 902. It sounds like just what you're looking for. Click here for detailed information on the device: http://pocketbook-usa.com/products/pocketbook-902/ .
PocketBook USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #24
UomoNero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry.C View Post

Thierry
battery is indeed a problem, i personally like the wacom display before battery time (but is a ea800 problem without a doubt), pb 902 (if i'm right) cannot take note and i cant find any real review about 903 only preview and news (i think PocketBook USA can answer about availability and a lot of other question).
i really like a 10" ereader but with full pdf support and note. maybe for jian1 note isn't a must but i need it.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #25
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketBook USA View Post
You need the PocketBook 902. It sounds like just what you're looking for. Click here for detailed information on the device: http://pocketbook-usa.com/products/pocketbook-902/ .
Are you a sale rep of PocketBook?

anyways, since 902 doesn't support touch screen, how's its annotation ability?

I am still struggling between 902 or hanvon N800, every spec Hanvon has seems to be more promising, not to mention I am a native Chinese, that Hanvon undoubtedly has an edge over displaying Chinese character. annotation, and cost. the only thing that 902 attracts me is its larger screen and higher resolution
jian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #26
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

Quote:
Does it have a screen? PDF displaying ability?

I have a $1000 tabletPC that takes notes and everything else (programming and write up my own Latex paper), no need for extra notes taking ability.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #27
jian1
Banned

Quote:
After seeing noteslate..... I somehow felt that my good $1000 over a tabletPC is somehow wasted...
Old 02-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #28
jian1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UomoNero View Post
i think hanvon change the name, with w800 (sorry if i'm wrong)

http://www.hanvon.com/en/products/eb...ucts-N800.html

I don't know the SoC Ingenic JZ4750, it's powerful enough? to open and turn page fast a 60 MB pdf i mean.

Is the same of WISEReader N618 and N628, if someone has the answer please tell me, meanwhile i check both for performance.
Did Hanvon make up all those specs by an online dictionary or somesort? The reading hurts my eyes. "Can be a long time to read" wtf is that? After reading over their Chinese site ( I am Chinese) the phrase should be translated as "Can be viewed for long period of time without eye tiring"
Old 02-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #29
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Hi, my sole purpose is to buy a single purposed PDF book reader for my PHD studies ...
If it's for study, I would guess the IPad would be the one to get (for quick navigation). I would think the Kindle would be quite painful for studying.

FWIW I have no experience with the Kindle, and I don't use my IPad for viewing PDFs.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #30
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The Kindle would be fine for studying. I wish I had one when I was in grad school. I could have saved a rain forest or two using a Kindle or DXG.

The Kindle will work fine for plain text PDF's. I am reading some right now. It is not suppose to work as well with formulas and charts. I have not worked with those types of PDFs so I cannot comment based on personal experience.

The real downfall to the DXG is that it does not all for annotation in a PDF. You can do this on a K3 but not the DXG. I have no idea why Amazon has not sent this update out to the DXG's but they have not.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote