Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
bwk
bwk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Librarything using Ctrl-D in GUI

Until today with version 0.7.43 when I pressed Ctrl-D to download metadata in the GUI when there was a failure it indicated that it occured at both openlibrary.com and librarything.com, but now is showing only the openlibrary result.

openlibrary.org covers - ISBN: 9780425052402 not found

It says in the new features for the update that librarything will only be searched if you have an account there (which I do), so I'm assuming there is somewhere, other than using the command line librarything executable, where I can enter that account and password, but I can't find it anywhere.

Does anyone have any idea on how to go about getting the Download Metadata function in the Calibre GUI to use my librarything account and password?

Thanks.
bwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
Diana495
Connoisseur
Diana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Ipod Touch
Preferences -> Plugins -> Metadata download plugins -> click to customize the LibraryThing plugin. You can add your username and password for LibraryThing.
Diana495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
bwk

I added my account and password in Preferences. Thanks for pointing that out for me.

However, even after a restart calibre doesn't seem to be using librarything any more. For example I went back a version and tried to download the metadata for 'Four from Planet Five' from Murray Leinster and got the usual two server error messages:

Failed to download cover for the following:
Four from Planet Five
openlibrary.org covers - ISBN: 9781434466907 not found
librarything.com covers - ISBN: 9781434466907 not found

Doing the same with the current version 0.7.43 it only displays the openlibrary.org error when I attempt the same request.

That being the case I'm left wondering if it is actually using librarything.com in the query at all now, and if it is why no error message.

The download plugin is still enabled (Green) in Preferences, so I'm assuming it should still be generating that error if it is being used. Is there another box I can check to get that going, or is this something that I should report as a bug?

Any thoughts?

And again, thanks for the help.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
LibraryThing often blocks calibre, I encourage you to complain to library thing, though I doubt they'll listen since they apparently only want you to use their service via a browser. So you're likely going to be stuck with openlibrary covers.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 01-28-2011 at 10:46 PM.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
Diana495
Connoisseur
Diana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Ipod Touch
It's probably a problem on LibraryThing's end. I kept getting an error message that "LibraryThing is blocking calibre" when I tried to download metadata right now.

ETA: Oops, Kovid already answered.
Diana495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 12:29 AM   #6
bwk

I can live with only openlibrary if I have to, but Just so I understand.

Why am I getting the librarything not found error in version 0.7.42 and no error when I use 0.7.43?

I don't mean I used to get the error messages. When I re-installed the older version librarything is queried and generates a not found message, but when I use 0.7.43 I no longer get anything from library thing. When I switch back again to 0.7.42 the librarything query and subsequent 'not found' message is back again.

Does that mean librarything is still being queried in 0.7.43 and if so, why no 'not found' message?

Sorry to be a bother, but I really would like to understand.

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:51 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Read the changelog for 0.7.43, it explains this.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
boof
boof began at the beginning.

Is there a way to see any debug output for calibre / the library thing plugin?

I've set it all up with a login as per instructions but it's still not working.

I guess this is LT radomly blocking - but it would be nice to know if that's the case - or if they just don't have the series info on a particular book.

There is mention on the LT forums of a developer key for the API which may be worth investigating? Though difficult if they're not willing to engage with you

Could be that if we sign up for a developer api key and the calibre plugin were to accept that and abide by their query rules etc things might be ok?
boof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The developer api key is limited to a thousand calls per day. calibre has two million users.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The developer api key is limited to a thousand calls per day. calibre has two million users.
Is it feasible to create a second LT plugin (disabled by default) where the user supplies their own developer key? I don't have the needed skillset but maybe someone reading this might find the idea interesting.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:25 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

IIRC the LT key isn't really meant for use by large numbers of users, the application process involves sending an email, unlike with isbndb where it's automatic.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
IIRC the LT key isn't really meant for use by large numbers of users, the application process involves sending an email, unlike with isbndb where it's automatic.
I just grabbed a key. It was sent to me automatically. The form had four things required, Email address, Full Name, a Web Url and checking the acceptance of the terms of use. So it did involve me specifying a Web url (I guess where I might use the developed api from).

So you are essentially correct, although it seemed i went through more hoops for the isbn key.

Their terms of service for standard no api key stuff was no more then 1 cover request per second. Is calibre exceeding that measure?
Old 02-01-2011, 01:35 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Their terms of service for standard no api key stuff was no more then 1 cover request per second. Is calibre exceeding that measure?
Easily. The very first LT plugin in calibre over a year ago was based on a webservice I wrote that forwarded requests to the LT server from my own server using an API key. That key was banned because it exceeded the limit, which is why I wrote the current plugin (after trying to contact LT and getting no response).

The problem is that LT provides a key expressly for developers. Given that they don't like calibre scraping their website for series information, I seriously doubt they'll be OK with tens of thousands of calibre users signing up for API keys. They'll just stop the API key process or make it more onerous. Given that I don't want to spend the time on it.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:36 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Easily. The very first LT plugin in calibre over a year ago was based on a webservice I wrote that forwarded requests to the LT server from my own server using an API key. That key was banned because it exceeded the limit, which is why I wrote the current plugin (after trying to contact LT and getting no response).
Does the current plugin forward the requests from your server or do the requests go directly from my computer to Library Thing?

If the requests go from my computer is it possible to have a throttle built into the plugin that limits cover requests to one per second or one every two seconds (maybe a user set number)? This might minimize Library Things interference with captcha verification you referred to in another thread.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #15
boof
boof began at the beginning.

Quote:
Sorry - I meant, as discussed since, an individual calibre user requesting an API key. And using that in conjunction with the plugin.

It sounds like, as usual, you're well ahead of me on this and have already looked into it!

I'll email LT myself. I doubt it will do any good but if everyone using calibre who finds the series information useful (and I do, I really really miss it) does the same they might change their mind!

Thanks for your reply - and thanks for your hard work on calibre. It's really a must have for anyone interested in ebooks.

p.s *is* there any way to get some debug output out? To see if LT is rejecting or just doesn't have the data?
boof is offline   Reply With Quote