Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #16
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
The thing with the 350 is there's not really anywhere to hold onto the unit so I think I would invariably touch the screen thus advancing the pages.
Funny ... everyone else manages ...
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #17
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
You'd quickly learn to put the unit in sleep mode before any "dusting"!
I haven't learned that yet. (I hope that doesn't make me a slow learner.)

One technique I've been using is to plant one thumb or finger on the screen before brushing with the other hand. That often works, but not always.

But you gave me an idea. If I press the home button to bring up the home page, swiping seems to have no effect. So that's another solution.
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 09:35 PM   #18
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
But you gave me an idea. If I press the home button to bring up the home page, swiping seems to have no effect. So that's another solution.
Clever! I'll be keeping that in mind.

Um... not so much ... see later posts.

Last edited by Under the Covers; 01-31-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Under the Covers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #19
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
That sums up my concern with the touch screen models. I really want the new one but I think it's more being a brat drooling over something new, bigger (in terms of memory), faster, and brighter. I certainly don't need it. I love my 300 and there's nothing wrong with it.

The thing with the 350 is there's not really anywhere to hold onto the unit so I think I would invariably touch the screen thus advancing the pages. Or if I go to wipe dust off the screen, whing - there goes another 10 pages. LOL
There's plenty of space to hold the 350 without accidentally touching the screen and advancing the pages. It's so light, it basically rests in your hand, and you might have one thumb along the side only, not even on the face of the reader, until you need to exert yourself and move your thumb to advance the page . Depending on my position (like sitting on a bus or train) I'll opt to hold it with 2 hands at times just so it's not jostled from my grip by a sudden bump, and there's no problem at all resting your thumbs along the sides, plenty of room.

And yes, just slide the power switch momentarily to put it in sleep mode before you put it down and you won't accidentally advance pages (plus it's better for battery life). The unit will also put itself into sleep mode after about 5 minutes or so of no use with the power saving feature.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:03 AM   #20
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Failing that, there's always the levitation option.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 03:56 AM   #21
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
Sorry, then the reader will just select a random book the first tap, and changes pages in that book on subsequent swipes instead!

I have the Proporta folio style cover, which has a stiff inner surface that is just sturdy enough that it can't easily intrude into the screens IR touch zone.

The only down side is that it's so stiff that it tends to hit and press the buttons randomly if I forget and grab it by the bottom outside edge when closed.

I find that when handled by the upper outside edge while closed though, this stiff inner surfaced cover gives me ZERO problems with random wrong inputs when I need to quickly close the ereader and set it down or carry it somewhere without shutting it down.

Last edited by delphin; 02-01-2011 at 01:40 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:32 AM   #22
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:

The thing with the 350 is there's not really anywhere to hold onto the unit so I think I would invariably touch the screen thus advancing the pages. Or if I go to wipe dust off the screen, whing - there goes another 10 pages. LOL
Advancing screen, it depends on your hand size. Wiping dust off screen always (I've checked both of the actions).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #23
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
If you have just a speck or two of dust, don't wipe/brush it off, just dampen your finger slightly and tap it. The single tap doesn't register as a touch command, and it should allow the piece of dust to stick to your finger. That's what I've been doing, or blowing at it if there's cat fur or something.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #24
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Occasionally, if I'm reading while eating, a speck of food will fly off and hit the touch screen and change the page for me.

Another nice feature is the swipe and hold which will turn many pages very fast. Good for looking up something a few pages back.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:44 PM   #25
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
Occasionally, if I'm reading while eating, a speck of food will fly off and hit the touch screen and change the page for me.
That's picturesque!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
Another nice feature is the swipe and hold which will turn many pages very fast.
That must have been the feature I found by accident when I set some papers partially on top of mine while I searched for something. When I looked back to it, I saw it wildly flipping pages.
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:46 PM   #26
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I dust by blowing on my 650.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #27
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
I'm sorry. Did my question offend you in some way? Is there a reason to be so snarky?

If you absolutely must know, I have arthritis and my hands twitch, so for me, it would be an issue. That's why I said 'I' would invariably touch the screen and advance pages. Thankfully it's not an issue for you but sadly it is for me so I expressed a concern about it.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #28
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Apologies - I did not think you were being serious yourself as I don't understand how holding a 350 would be any more of an issue than a 300 as they aren't that much different in size? Do you find your fingers brushing your 300 screen now? If so, you might well encounter issues.

I understand that you've seen a slew of messages regarding how sensitive the devices are, which may have given a somewhat exaggerated impression. Having worked with the screen since it came out last autumn, (and admittedly not knowing your exact situation) it's possible your certainty that you couldn't use such a device might be unfounded.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #29
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
If you absolutely must know, I have arthritis and my hands twitch, so for me, it would be an issue. That's why I said 'I' would invariably touch the screen and advance pages. Thankfully it's not an issue for you but sadly it is for me so I expressed a concern about it.
You could probably hold the 350 at the bottom only and avoid any accidental page advances that way, and use the physical buttons at the bottom for page turns. It's something you'd have to try in the store though to be sure it wouldn't be a problem for you and that it would be comfortable for you to hold that way.

It makes me realize that maybe an option in settings to turn off touch screen page advances would be a good idea in the future for some people.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #30
MasterGame
Enthusiast
MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
I really want the new one but I think it's more being a brat drooling over something new, bigger (in terms of memory), faster, and brighter. I certainly don't need it. I love my 300 and there's nothing wrong with it.
The main reason to get a 350 to replace a 300 is the improved contrast of the E-ink Pearl screen.

I switched from a 505 to the 350, and find the 350 to be more legible despite its smaller screen.
MasterGame is offline   Reply With Quote