Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #16
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo
Don't hold your breath.

7 p.m. here. Still no papers. I'm guessing I'll wake up tomorrow to find out that Greece is going to be holding a referendum. Kobo will probably think I should still pay for this two-day-old news because they delivered it. Customer satisfaction isn't a high priority.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #17
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
I've received an email that said they're having problems and subscriptions have been extended by 3 days
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #18
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
I've received an email that said they're having problems and subscriptions have been extended by 3 days
I suppose that doesn't apply to those of us still in the 14-day trial period. :P
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #19
thepossum
Zealot
thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

This morning I opened my iOS Kobo app, and ALL of my newspapers had been moved to the Trash folder, including the five I'd "Saved". I manually saved the four that were still available (the oldest one was now gone altogether), and just deleted the rest. Then after syncing, all ten most recent papers were again re-downloaded. And so far, today's and yesterday's papers are still nowhere to be seen.

There was also an iOS Kobo update today. When I resync my library, it keeps trying to re-download a dictionary. Each time I restart the app.

For what it's worth, here's the letter:

"Dear Kobo Customer,

We recently underwent an upgrade to our database system that unfortunately resulted in the dalay -- or in some cases, no delivery -- of your subscription.

We have identified and are in the process of correcting the issue, which we hope to have resolved within the next 24-48 hours. In the interim, we have extended your subscription for 3 additional days as compensation for the inconvenience.

Our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused and thank you for your continued support of Kobo.

Regards,
The Kobo Team"
thepossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #20
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
I suppose that doesn't apply to those of us still in the 14-day trial period. :P
It looks like my trials have also been extended, although I'm not 100% sure.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #21
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hmm.. Did a sync today and no new newspaper issues .. Latest issue I have is Nov.2.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #22
thepossum
Zealot
thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

No papers yet for Nov 3, Nov 4, Nov 5.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #23
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepossum View Post
No papers yet for Nov 3, Nov 4, Nov 5.
Same here.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #24
thepossum
Zealot

Rather than wasting my battery uselessly refreshing my subscriptions on my Kobo Touch's wifi, I've been using the iOS Kobo app on my iPhone. When I first woke up this morning and refreshed, I still saw nothing new. About an hour later when I refreshed again, it deleted ALL the newspaper back issues, including the few I had marked as "Saved".
Old 11-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #25
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

Their response is inadequate. Extending subscriptions by three days does not make up for the number of papers that were delivered far too late. Also ... we never benefit from this "gift." All they're doing is delaying our billing, but we'll continue to spend just as much money. When do we benefit? Will they deliver three more days' worth of papers after we cancel our subscriptions? In other words ... deliver extra papers when we don't want them?

It's a cheesy way of dealing with it. We're not compensated for getting screwed around, and they're not punished for doing the screwing.

Plus, it took them forever to admit there was a problem. Meanwhile, they took 8 to 10 days to get back to my numerous email inquiries ... and now I've been turned over to "Tier 2" -- which, in my experience, is the end of the line. I never hear from Tier 2.

Kobo provides some of the worst customer service I've ever seen, and this situation shows what little regard they have for us.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:07 AM   #26
thepossum
Zealot

I think I have deduced what is currently going wrong with my (and everybody else's) newspaper subscriptions. I am assuming that the previous database error has been rectified, and that the new daily content is being generated, and is just not being delivered.

My last billing date was October 30, and that it the date that should be there when I look at my Subscriptions page on kobobooks.com. However after trying to credit me (and everybody else) for three free days, that date now reads December 1, which is IN THE FUTURE. As your database does not believe I have paid until THE FUTURE, I will not get any new issues delivered until then! So rather than correct my subscription date to one which hasn't even happened yet, it SHOULD have been changed to one in the past.

In effect, by trying to credit my account for three days due to the inconvenience of late papers caused by the "database upgrade", the "cure" has made the problem even worse.

I have been unable to read the Toronto Star for four days now, and I expect that today will be the fifth day.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #27
Mememememe
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepossum View Post
I think I have deduced what is currently going wrong with my (and everybody else's) newspaper subscriptions. I am assuming that the previous database error has been rectified, and that the new daily content is being generated, and is just not being delivered.

My last billing date was October 30, and that it the date that should be there when I look at my Subscriptions page on kobobooks.com. However after trying to credit me (and everybody else) for three free days, that date now reads December 1, which is IN THE FUTURE. As your database does not believe I have paid until THE FUTURE, I will not get any new issues delivered until then! So rather than correct my subscription date to one which hasn't even happened yet, it SHOULD have been changed to one in the past.

In effect, by trying to credit my account for three days due to the inconvenience of late papers caused by the "database upgrade", the "cure" has made the problem even worse.

I have been unable to read the Toronto Star for four days now, and I expect that today will be the fifth day.
Adding to the problem is that it's hard to find a direct line of communication to actual Kobo people. The people who get our emails and phone calls are an outside agency. I'm not sure how long it takes our complaints to get to someone who actually has the power to do anything.

The "Get Satisfaction" page doesn't seem to be in operation anymore; that was, at one time, a quick way to get to a real Kobo person. And there was a time when real Kobo people were here, and could at least provide some information.

Now, we're just left flapping in the wind.

No Globe today. None since last week. And the only responses I've had are to questions I asked nearly two weeks ago. It feels like we're counting on amateurs to act like professionals.

Extending our subscriptions by three days is a lame make-good. At this point, they should be giving us all a free month.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #28
Mememememe
Connoisseur

I just got an email saying they're still having trouble (duh) and are crediting us a week. Not enough, in my opinion. We've been dealing with hassles longer than that.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #29
thepossum
Zealot

I just hope that the 7 day extension is in addition to the previous 3 day extension.

The new email reads:

"Dear Kobo Customer,

Last Thursday evening, we had sent an email to advise we were experiencing a delay in delivering your subscription. At that time, we strongly believed we had located the source of the error and would have it resolved within 24-48 hours, however the issue unfortunately persists.

We sincerely apologize for the continued on-going challenges and wish to extend your subscription by 1 week as compensation for the inconvenience incurred.

Regards,
The Kobo Team"
Old 11-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #30
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On a small positive note - at least they're getting a little more proactive in acknowledging they have an ongoing problem not waiting for 2 day of no papers before saying anything.
It is very frustrating though. I've been getting my paper via Calibre, but it's not nearly as nice to read or as handy.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote