Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Mark Twain question

I've been rereading some Twain before I dig into his autobiography and am wondering:

What is the concept behind the people searching for Tom and Huck shooting off cannons in hopes of bringing up their bodies from underwater? How was that supposed to work?

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 01-11-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Guessing here but it could be that the shock waves from the cannonballs landing would force a body to the surface.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Guessing here but it could be that the shock waves from the cannonballs landing would force a body to the surface.
yes, explosions bring bodies, human and fish to the surface of water
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
WOHOOOO and I never took Physics (winks)

OK, I am not really proud that I never took physics but the school district wouldn't let me take science and math my freshman year (Learning Disabilities make you stupid don't you know) so I had to catch up on science starting my sophmore year. Actually they tried to waive all math and science requirements for me throughout high school. My parents told them to go to hell. At the time, I was disappointed with my parents. (winks)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Thanks for the replies. It seemed like that was the idea. I was wondering whether I was missing something. Crude approach, but entertaining to read about.
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
really ethically challenged people go fishing with a stick of dynamite ;o(
Old 01-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Yes, I've read about that with horror.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
RPG Fishing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KVyykFS3dY
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
What is the concept behind the people searching for Tom and Huck shooting off cannons in hopes of bringing up their bodies from underwater? How was that supposed to work?
In Twain's time I'm pretty sure it was basically a common superstition.

But hey, maybe some people thought there was something scientific behind it.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't really work unless a body has filled with gases during decomposition and then the concussive blast of the cannon would actually dislodge a body in said state that had become hitched to the bottom of the river or whatnot. But this isn't overly likely.

If a body has filled with water I don't think it will usually float.

Then again, the body they are looking for in the book was thought to have been savagely killed. In that case Huck would not be able to inhale water remaining buoyant? Unless the wounds were gaping and literally led in to his trunks body cavity permitting the water to penetrate...

I'll quit now.

By the way, a passage near there is one of the most humorous in the book and has stuck in my memory 'evah sense I din red it!:

"Look sharp, now; the current sets in the closest here and maybe he's washed ashore and got tangled amongst the brush at the water's edge. I hope so, anyway."

"I didn't hope so. They all crowded up and leaned over the rails, nearly in my face, and kept still, watching with all their might. I could see them first-rate but they couldn't see me. Then the captain sung out, "Stand away!" and the cannon let off such a blast right before me that it made me deef with the noise and pretty near blind with the smoke, and I judged I was gone. If they'd 'a' had some bullets in, I reckon they'd 'a' got the corpse they was after."

(This text quoted from my Easton Press edition)

I laugh (copiously!) every time I read that bit.

Last edited by Anthem; 01-11-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
In Twain's time I'm pretty sure it was basically a common superstition.

But hey, maybe some people thought there was something scientific behind it.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't really work unless a body has filled with gases during decomposition and then the concussive blast of the cannon would actually dislodge a body in said state that had become hitched to the bottom of the river or whatnot. But this isn't overly likely.

Then again, the body they are looking for in the book was thought to have been savagely killed. In that case Huck would not be able to inhale water remaining buoyant? Unless the wounds were gaping and literally led in to his trunks body cavity permitting the water to penetrate...

I'll quit now.

By the way, a passage near there is one of the most humorous in the book and has stuck in my memory 'evah sense I din red it!:

"Look sharp, now; the current sets in the closest here and maybe he's washed ashore and got tangled amongst the brush at the water's edge. I hope so, anyway."

"I didn't hope so. They all crowded up and leaned over the rails, nearly in my face, and kept still, watching with all their might. I could see them first-rate but they couldn't see me. Then the captain sung out, "Stand away!" and the cannon let off such a blast right before me that it made me deef with the noise and pretty near blind with the smoke, and I judged I was gone. If they'd 'a' had some bullets in, I reckon they'd 'a' got the corpse they was after."

(This text quoted from my Easton Press edition)

I laugh (copiously!) every time I read that bit.
Many laugh-aloud parts. Twain was a great storyteller.

They look for bodies in both the Tom and Huck adventures. In Huck, he was supposed to have been killed. In Tom, three boys were thought drowned.

I wondered about the cannonballs' usefulness. Seems like a long shot, but entertaining.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:29 AM   #11
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
Eventually it will, actually, unless weighted down or obstructed somehow. It takes about a week, though, for the body to fill up with gas.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:49 AM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Eventually it will, actually, unless weighted down or obstructed somehow. It takes about a week, though, for the body to fill up with gas.
it depends on the water temperature
Old 01-12-2011, 03:44 AM   #13
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Wow!

How terribly sportsman-like of them.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:46 AM   #14
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
How differently do dead bodies decompose underwater?

Wikipedia: Human decomposition
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:19 AM   #15
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
on these themes I heartily recommend
Stiff, by Mary Roach
and, more scientific,
Time of Death, by Jessica Snyder Sachs.
Enjoy

Last edited by paola; 01-12-2011 at 04:21 AM. Reason: link added
paola is offline   Reply With Quote