Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
tbrod
tbrod began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Unhappy JCKobo and SameerH: can you help with my Kobo not being detected by my computer?

Hello JCKobo and SameerH,
In a response to an earlier posting of mine, one of your Chapters/Indigo/Kobo colleagues suggested that you might be able to help with my Kobo problem. (Look for the tbrod post on "is my Kobo a lemon") Here's the problem: my computer isn't recognizing the Kobo e-Reader when I attach with the USB cord: there is no "sync" option showing on the desktop Kobo application; my ePUB doesn't automatically show Kobo on the bookshelf, etc. The only way I can add new books is wirelessly, and only directly from the Kobo bookstore. I should note that I've already done a factory reset (multiple times), I've uninstalled and reinstalled Kobo and ePUB many times, and eventually, at the Tier 1 helpdesk suggestion, also exchanged the Kobo for a new one but the problem is continuing. We've tested both Kobos on both household laptops with the same results. I should also mention that when I plug in the Kobo and select “Manage Library”, my computer makes an “error” sound. Thanks for your help.
tbrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You might PM them. I am not sure that they are reading here as often now that http://getsatisfaction.com/kobo is up and working. That board/forum is staffed by Kobo employees, including both of them, I believe.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Perhaps a silly question. Have you tried Calibre to see if the Kobo, when connected, is recognised?

It may be the Kobo desktop causing the issue.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
MikeLC
Chapter/Indigo Employee
MikeLC began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo iPhone, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch Ereader
There could be some software blocking the Kobo from accessing the computer if it doesn't reconize the device is even connected, does it charge when you plug it in or does it completely not even reconize the device at all?

Like sabredog suggested I'd try a calibre sync and see if the computer allows that or maybe try a different computer to see if it's that computer's issue. Was the desktop application off the kobo or the website www.kobobooks.com/desktop
MikeLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Are you using the cable that came with the Kobo? My mom was using a generic cable and she was having the problems you are experiencing. I know you *should* be able to use any cable, but for some reason the one she used didn't work.

Also, try a different USB port?

EDIT: Sorry - I just read your other thread and see that you have already tried different cables. Apologies.

Last edited by digiSara; 01-17-2011 at 09:33 AM.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
I'll take a stab at this, but need a couple of things:

- what operating system are you running? (didn't see this in your other posts)
- are you running on a laptop or a desktop?

will start with this... From what I read so far, the problem sounds more like a computer issue rather than a kobo issue, despite the fact that your ipod has been working flawlessly. I bought my 2 year old a media player teddy; Plugged it into my USB hub and there was an issue. plugged it into a port on the front of the pc and it installed no problems. Have a client here at work who uses a laptop and his mouse suddenly died. Turned off power management for the usb port being used and all was good... USB shouldn't have shut off because he was powered via an AC cord, but it did anyway.

In your case, you know it's being detected because you hear the usb connection sound, so it's seeing something, but for some reason it's not proceeding with an install, this could be anything from USB power requirements not being met to the drivers finding a conflict.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
The trouble is that the OP has tried both his/her computers and the fault is the same. I suppose they could have manipulated something on both computers that was causing the problem though.

I would definitely try using different USB ports as a test.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know about the OP, but in my house we tend to use the same security programs and various other things that are known to create problems. Our computers are not all that different one to the other.

The only other thing I haven't seen mentioned is checking to see if there are updated USB drivers available. Many new/updated drivers were issued when SP3 was released for Windows and after Windows 7 was released. And as drivers can become corrupted, uninstalling them and reinstalling can also help. Intel based Macs can probably have similar driver issues.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
I've got 5 machines at home, 2 being laptops and 3 being desktops; 3 of them run windows 7 and 2 Windows xp. My machine has the most junk and probably the most "customization" but still usually has the least problems.

The thing with this particular issue is that we know very little about what the OP's using hardware or software wise, only that the system is detecting the kobo when it's plugged in, but nothing else sees it. For all we know, they are using an apple os (unless I missed something reading through the other postings), of which I'll be totally useless to try and help with
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Yeah--that is why I thought about the drivers on Intel based Macs. As I said in the first thread, when it comes down to problems with an individual machine, sussing out the particular issue can be almost impossible.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #11
michael_h
michael_h began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ebook reader
For the sake of completeness, the OP should ensure that there are not any SD cards or other usb devices plugged into the computer (thumb drives, portable hard drives). I just can't seem to get my Kobo to "connect" when I have a thumb drive or SD card also inserted to the same computer.
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #12
MikeLC
Chapter/Indigo Employee
MikeLC began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo iPhone, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch Ereader
Ok I talked to another Kobo Tech at work today and he suggested uninstalling and reinstalling all drivers for the USB port because if the Kobo is plugged in and still making an error sound while connected then the issue is with the USB driver you're running. On that note he and I found it odd that both computers were having this issue because obviously the Kobo is being detected but it's being stopped either by the USB port or some other part of the computer.

Michael
MikeLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I believe there actually are some log files created in C:\WINDOWS\INF that contain messages related to the USB device installation. SETUPAPI.APP.LOG and SETUPAPI.DEV.LOG.

Might be interesting to peruse those before and after plugging the Kobo in.

Also; in Control Panel | Device Manager do any devices show up as being Unknown Devices when the Kobo is plugged in (and of course, in Manage Library mode).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:52 PM   #14
tbrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLC View Post
There could be some software blocking the Kobo from accessing the computer if it doesn't reconize the device is even connected, does it charge when you plug it in or does it completely not even reconize the device at all?

Like sabredog suggested I'd try a calibre sync and see if the computer allows that or maybe try a different computer to see if it's that computer's issue. Was the desktop application off the kobo or the website www.kobobooks.com/desktop
Hi Mike, the software was downloaded from the Kobo site. My laptop recognizes it enough to charge it but nothing else. My son's laptop doesn't even charge it. This is the same thing for two Kobos now. I'm really puzzled! I don't know what "calibre sync" means... can you provide some info about it?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #15
tbrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
I'll take a stab at this, but need a couple of things:

- what operating system are you running? (didn't see this in your other posts)
- are you running on a laptop or a desktop?

will start with this... From what I read so far, the problem sounds more like a computer issue rather than a kobo issue, despite the fact that your ipod has been working flawlessly. I bought my 2 year old a media player teddy; Plugged it into my USB hub and there was an issue. plugged it into a port on the front of the pc and it installed no problems. Have a client here at work who uses a laptop and his mouse suddenly died. Turned off power management for the usb port being used and all was good... USB shouldn't have shut off because he was powered via an AC cord, but it did anyway.

In your case, you know it's being detected because you hear the usb connection sound, so it's seeing something, but for some reason it's not proceeding with an install, this could be anything from USB power requirements not being met to the drivers finding a conflict.
Thanks Steph. It's a laptop and the operating system is Windows 2007. In addition, I have Hot Spot (which is currently disabled) and Kaspersky security. Also Norton Online Backup (which I don't think I've even initiated...) I've also tried different USB ports with no change in result. Besides these and iTunes, there nothing much else loaded on the computer.