Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #31
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Congrats on your Nook! I am sure you will love it.

One of the reasons I rooted my Nook was so I could have my docs and B&N books in the same folder. It also allows me to add tags so I can look up a genre or series, so I don't even use the shelves. I am not too worried about the warranty. I will just put it back to 1.5 if something goes wrong. Also, if you get a square trade extended warrenty, they don't care if it is rooted or not.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #32
Taya
Taya began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post

One of the reasons I rooted my Nook was so I could have my docs and B&N books in the same folder. It also allows me to add tags so I can look up a genre or series, so I don't even use the shelves. I am not too worried about the warranty. I will just put it back to 1.5 if something goes wrong. Also, if you get a square trade extended warrenty, they don't care if it is rooted or not.
I know I had come across something about the warranty and setting the rooted Nook back to default, but since I did so much research I got confused and forgot if I could, or could not do that. My boyfriend was asking me as he was saying I should root it. Especially when I saw that the shelving/organizing was not so good. Thanks!!

~Taya
Taya is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #33
sunseeker
sunseeker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Nook and the Library

I purchased the Nook Color solely because I can download books from my local library. We are very fortunate to live in a very large and well funded county. The library system is one of the best and I've lived in several different states. Frankly I wanted the Kindle. After talking to a friend I found out I could not download books from the library on the Kindle. So-I got on the library site and looked for the books I was most interested in reading and also verified that the Kindle software is proprietary and not supported. I looked for New York Times Bestsellers. The books I wanted were on the site. By the time my Nook arrived it seemed everyone in the county had received an e-reader and the books I wanted were checked out. I put the books I want on a hold list, and the library notifies me by email when a title on my list is available. I have 3 days to download and 21 days to read the books. I usually have at least 3 books checked out at a time. I only wait a week or so for books on hold. It depends on how many licenses your library purchases of any given book. If your aunt gets the Nook you can use the "Lend Me" function to trade books back and forth.
sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #34
sunseeker

Nook and the Library

I purchased the Nook Color solely because I can download books from my local library. We are very fortunate to live in a very large and well funded county. The library system is one of the best and I've lived in several different states. Frankly I wanted the Kindle. After talking to a friend I found out I could not download books from the library on the Kindle. So-I got on the library site and looked for the books I was most interested in reading and also verified that the Kindle software is proprietary and not supported. I looked for New York Times Bestsellers. The books I wanted were on the site. By the time my Nook arrived it seemed everyone in the county had received an e-reader and the books I wanted were checked out. I put the books I want on a hold list, and the library notifies me by email when a title on my list is available. I have 3 days to download and 21 days to read the books. I usually have at least 3 books checked out at a time. I only wait a week or so for books on hold. It depends on how many licenses your library purchases of any given book. If your aunt gets the Nook you can use the "Lend Me" function to trade books back and forth.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #35
sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I went with the Nook (ended up with the nookcolor) for the same reason....the library feature......My library allows up to 21 days (or 7 or 14, it's my choice)

I put an order in a couple days ago for 3 (new releases)......was #3 and #5 in the queue for 2 of them (15 on the other)......just got an email that they are now available.....Now I think I've got more books than I can read.....

Prior to buying mine......I had a few discussions with the librarians.....they typically have more than 1 to loan out.....In my county, they typically have 20+ available for hot books.....

I can have upto 10 ebooks checked out at any one time......

Different library's may have different rules.....

I did notice in the ADE software that they can be returned early.....haven't tried that yet though....hopefully people use that feature though....
I have been returning my books early. Works like a charm. When I'm done, I'm done, and someone else could be waiting for it.
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #36
sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post

Please explain what "rooting" the Nook is? Thanks!
Old 01-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #37
drmathprog
Connoisseur
drmathprog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
http://www.hackthenook.com/2010/02/1...-hack-my-nook/
drmathprog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:21 AM   #38
sophiemom
sophiemom can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sophiemom can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sophiemom can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sophiemom can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sophiemom can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sophiemom can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sophiemom can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sophiemom can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sophiemom can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sophiemom can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sophiemom can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle x4
Gave up on the Nook & the library. Cannot get new readers authorized due to previous ADE authorizations of dysfunctional and outdated readers. Have requested assistance but am not hopeful, as so many seem to have the same, unanswered problem. Sad day.

Last edited by sophiemom; 02-05-2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: update
sophiemom is offline   Reply With Quote