Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
djloewen
Connoisseur
djloewen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Please make footnotes usable!

So I'm a big fan of Kobo, and with the latest firmware update the device is even better. I have two single complaints left with it, and since one of those two issues (that it ignores imbedded fonts) just got its own thread, I figured I'd start one for the other .

The books I purchase from Kobo are about 50% fiction, 50% non-fiction. The books I read on my Kobo are 90% fiction. The problem, of course, is footnote links. The books that I've bought that have them, I'm just sitting on for now, waiting for Kobo to implement one crucial feature to make them readable.

Currently I have two options: When I get to a footnote, I can attempt to use the index to browse to the "footnotes" section, then page through until I find the right one, then use the index to go back to the chapter I was in and page through to where I was. This just flat out isn't going to happen. Do other people do this?

My other choice is to read the book ignoring the footnotes, and then read them all in a bunch at the end of the book. This it really, really useless. I've chosen the third option of waiting until Kobo implements a link-clicking feature.

Here's a possible solution: whenever the book is on a page with links on it, the up/down arrows switch from "text size" mode (which can still be changed from the "display" menu) to "select links" mode, where each click up/down moves you to the next/previous link on the page. Pressing "select" (center on the d-pad) activates the link and sends you to the footnote.

If anyone has better suggestions, please share. If you've ever read a book with a footnote and this sounds good to you, please make some noise! If you haven't, but it sounds like a good idea anyway, feel free to make some noise too
djloewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Your suggestion looks reasonable to me, although you didn't mention how to get back
For that I would suggest the automatic on-the-fly creation of the back link (pushing on a stack of back links?), then using the back button to return. (I don't like the amount of work involved in embedding the back links in the footnote text.)
There was a discussion of footnote implementation in the Workshop/Epub forum some time ago; it's probably worth reviewing (left as an exercise for the interested reader ).

Last edited by pholy; 12-17-2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: typo - insensitive keyboard...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
djloewen
Connoisseur
djloewen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
I believe that (usually at least) the footnotes include links in both directions - so if there's an linked asterisk in the text, you click and it takes you to the footnote. Then you click the asterisk (or number or whatever) next to the footnote and it takes you right back to where you were. It's a very neat solution IMO
djloewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I don't read a lot of books with footnotes. But I would use my iPhone, the desktop app, or ADE to read the footnotes in the very rare instances I encounter them.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Hyperlinks are enabled for newspapers and magazine, so it can be done. The trade-off in that case is that the top and down positions on the dpad no longer adjust font size--one does that from the menu. I have no idea if Kobo is thinking about including it in a future release or not. My preference would be to see it as an option, in the way we can choose different sleep behaviours. That would let folks who almost never read books with footnotes or end notes keep it the same, if they wish. I have absolutely no idea if that is doable, or not.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
My Kobo reading consists of about 95% non-fiction, and probably 90% of those books have footnotes or endnotes. The first books were bought and downloaded in Kobo format. Which does not display illustrations, making many non-fiction books useless. I was ready to dump the Kobo until I learned about ADE and Calibre.

Now my main complaint is the lack of a simple means to go to footnotes or endnotes and then return to the original point in the text. I always read footnotes, but don't always read endnotes when reading paper books, so I've lived with it, but would like Kobo to fix it in the next release. In the meantime I have the Kindle which does allow reading footnotes.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Kepubs now display illustrations, artig!
taming is offline   Reply With Quote