Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Beak
Beak began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo Sync and SDHC Issues

Hello. I think I am am bringing up known issues but after a search on the board,I was hoping to get some updated info on two issues I am having.

I purchased an 8 gig SDHC card for my 3 week old Kobo.

After transferring over 200 books or so, the device just got stuck at the "ereader is adding new content screen"

I thought maybe I was adding too many at once so I tried adding them 50 at a time. This worked for awhile then the device just got caught in a loop, cycling between the adding files stage restarting then cycling over and over.

I read this can be caused by "broken epubs" so I downloaded the Quality Scan plugin and fixed all the title and author sorts and everything I could.

What exactly makes an epub broken? Is there something else I can check?

The books also seem to just disappear from the memory stick I installed for no reason.

If anyone could help me or give some kind of update on the progress if any on these problems I would really appreciate it.

Thanks BK
Beak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beak View Post
Hello. I think I am am bringing up known issues but after a search on the board,I was hoping to get some updated info on two issues I am having.

I purchased an 8 gig SDHC card for my 3 week old Kobo.

After transferring over 200 books or so, the device just got stuck at the "ereader is adding new content screen"

I thought maybe I was adding too many at once so I tried adding them 50 at a time. This worked for awhile then the device just got caught in a loop, cycling between the adding files stage restarting then cycling over and over.

I read this can be caused by "broken epubs" so I downloaded the Quality Scan plugin and fixed all the title and author sorts and everything I could.

What exactly makes an epub broken? Is there something else I can check?

The books also seem to just disappear from the memory stick I installed for no reason.

If anyone could help me or give some kind of update on the progress if any on these problems I would really appreciate it.

Thanks BK
I did have some trouble when I first started with the sd card that was similar to yours. what fixed it for me was to format the card in fat32. the kobo wont read NTSF and you can only put on so many files with fat. So if you use your computer to format the card chose the fat32 option.

Of course if there is a bad epub it will stop at that file and not go any further.

Hope that helps
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
Beak

Thanks. I had it formatted as Fat 32 already. Its still buggy as hell.

On the other hand,I'm starting to wonder why I need to carry 8000 books around. Its neat to think about, but also not necessary.

I just updated the firmware on the device and it added a nice "go to" page function, but it did not solve the buggy external memory slot.

Maybe next time...
Old 03-27-2011, 04:40 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
When I read that you had 8000 books, I wondered if you transferred so many books at one time that you kinda sorta overwhelmed the ability of the processor on the kobo to make the connections to the Db. I don't know that this is even possible, but I do know that the sqlite Db can be "broken". Malformed books don't help the matter, and there are more than a few of those out there in the wild.

Last edited by taming; 03-27-2011 at 04:43 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

8000 books each to his own but I would think that it would be very unweildy to navigate through 8000 books. Not to mention that the more books you have on your sd card the slower your kobo will start up. 8000 books would make it very slow to start up.

not to mention that it would be hard to identify a few broken epubs when you have 8000 of them.

honestly I dont think that managing that many books was what the device was intended for nor do I think that it is reasonable to think that it would be able to deal with all those books

BTW how will you ever read them all? even if you could read 100 per year that is still 80 years of reading

Last edited by baronrus; 03-27-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
baronrus
Addict

Another thought after you add some epubs say 100 or so do you unplug your kobo and let it process the content? or do you just keep adding them until it crashes? how are you adding them? Through calibre I assume? If so have you tried adding the files directly to the card via the save to disk option in calibre and then letting the device process them?

I use sd card as the primary storage space for my kobo and although I had some initial hicups getting the card formatted correctly once I did that I have had very little trouble at all.

I would be mostly suspicious of it being a 'buggy' file as opposed to a 'buggy' card slot.

Last edited by baronrus; 03-27-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
Beak

Thanks for your help. I brought the matter up with Kobo customer care.

They, despite what I read prior to buying the device, say that SDHC cards are not supported.

So the nice 8 gig card I bought is not going to work.

And as once pointed out, no one is ever going to read that many books. I just thought it was a cool thing to have the ability to carry a large library in one hand.

The 1 gig of internal memory is just fine and worked well with the epubs that used to hang the SDHC card so I don't think they are corrupted.