Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
Gentlefather
Gentlefather began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo the right choice?

Sorry for asking, perhaps a dumb question.

I am about the purchase 2 readers for myself and my 12 year-old daughter. We both love books and can go through 20-30 books every 3 weeks from the library. Buying 2 ebook readers seems like the right thing to do. We live in Canada, so our choices are more limited.

Our requirements are simple. Because one of the user is a 12 year-old (a very well-read and computer savvy one, but 12 nevertheless), it must be light, easy-to-use, have the ability to read library books (yes, our local library offer >10,000 ebooks already), and oh... did I mention, must be easy to use?

I have read several reviews for the latest Kindles, Kobos and Sony devices; it would appear that the Kobo wi-fi is the best choice for me? Not having used any of the devices before, just wondering if anyone here have any advices for me.

PS: I am assuming that there is no DRM issues with multiple readers at the same household.

Last edited by Gentlefather; 12-01-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Gentlefather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Gentlefather

I'll let those who own Kobo's answer your questions
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Personally, I LOVE my KOBO, and have no problems loading library books onto it.

Sarah
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
The Kobo is a good choice. It is a sturdy lightweight device with no frills.

I do not read library books on mine, but there are people that do and have no issues doing so.

I would certainly recommend the Kobo as a top of the list consideration for your daughter. Just remember to buy a sturdy cover for it.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
You can't get library books for a Kindle. Nook is not sold or supported in Canada.

The library books available for a Kobo are quite limited -- especially for a household used to borrowing 20 to 30 books in 3 weeks from the local library. You can borrow a max 10 books at a time, btw.

You didn't say where you were: Toronto Public Library has a couple of thousand Kobo-friendly ebooks for loan. I'd start by checking out the actual selection before the next step. I assume you are not planning to purchase 20 to 30 e-books every 3 weeks.

E-pubs, the format Kobo uses, are tied to Adobe software and you can authorise up to 5 (or is it 6?) devices on the same account. So you ought to be able to borrow one book from the library and share it on two devices at the same time.

Kobo is very e-friendly; but so is the 6" Canadian Sony model. However, two Kobos are $300; two Sonys are $500 ... so the choice for you is easy, I would think. Plus, Chapters/Indigo will support your sale in store; I'm not sure how friendly Sonystyle stores are for returns / immediate swaps. You might check out the Kobo forum here at MR.

Kobo is a great device to own and use. But you will want to set your expectations to what the current marketplace is.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
As long as you use the same Kobobooks account for purchases and the same ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) account for ePUB files (both purchased and from the library) you will not have any DRM issues with two Kobo readers.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I had a Sony before I had Kindles...I liked it. I have found Kobo's CS to be lacking..but your milage may vary since you're in Canada- probably more options in store in Canada.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:15 AM   #8
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The library books available for a Kobo are quite limited -- especially for a household used to borrowing 20 to 30 books in 3 weeks from the local library. You can borrow a max 10 books at a time, btw.
I'm confused - I thought to borrow library books all you needed was an ereader that has Adobe epub DRM. Is there something different about the Kobo that makes availability limited?

The max 10 at a time is for each library card(at my library anyway) and you can return books early from Adobe Digital Editions on the pc so as soon as you finish one you can return it and borrow another.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:19 AM   #9
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
It seems that most people (in Canada) have found the CS (customer service) for Kobos at the Chapters stores to be very good. I guess since Chapters owns a large chunk of Kobo they are more interested in it.
I have several different readers, and I find the Kobo quite satisfying for most day-to-day reading, although I do like the ergonomics of my BeBook somewhat more.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:35 AM   #10
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Just wanted to chime in that, as I understand it, Kobos store PDF-format library books as documents, not books along with the Epub ones?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:08 AM   #11
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
We got our DD a Kobo for her bday in August, she is able to download Overdrive ebooks from the public library with no problem. We haven't had a problem w/both of us downloading books since we each have our own library card and separate computers to download our books on.

She loves her Kobo. what fun for you both.
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:44 AM   #12
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Just wanted to chime in that, as I understand it, Kobos store PDF-format library books as documents, not books along with the Epub ones?
Certainly does. PDF format is a document format, so Kobo got it correct. Library ebooks come, in the main, in ePUB format though.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:49 AM   #13
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
I certainly like my Kobo. I use it every day, and often get library books.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #14
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo
The Kobo is a great entry-level device. In other words, it may not have all the features you might eventually discover you want ... but if you want an inexpensive [relative to others] reader that permits you to acquire and read a variety of library and purchased books ... the Kobo is the right choice ... particularly for your 12 year old.

The Kobo is durable and now they have a nice, practical case for it too.

I purchased a Kobo in the summer and was both impressed by it and delighted with it.

I upgraded recently to a Sony PRS-650 because I did discover that there were features of the Sony that fit better with me than the Kobo ... but that's not to say that Kobo wasn't just fine for my needs. In this case, my "wants" over-rode my "needs".

I did find that the Sony had a better screen resolution than the Kobo ... and my aging eyes need the comfort of that. However, if I had never actually seen a Sony "in action" I wouldn't have been aware of this. I had no eye strain or problems reading for long periods of time with the Kobo.

Good luck!

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #15
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Certainly does. PDF format is a document format, so Kobo got it correct. Library ebooks come, in the main, in ePUB format though.
That wasn't a criticism, I just like to alert folks to look under "documents" if their PDF book doesn't appear
to have transferred (correctly).
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote