Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 02:01 AM   #16
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
The re-indexing indicates, in my opinion, that your Kindle is unstable.
Now I have my new replacement Kindle, I load my books appr.150 in one go, keep it charging for a few hours- check if the indexing is done; and so on.
Try to leave your Kindle overnight for charging and check if the indexing's been done.
It's hard to say sometimes, why a Kindle becomes unstable, but it shouldn't freeze up after highlighting, or spontaneously reboot, or re-index.
Try and phone Amazon; if you're not satisfied with their answer; phone again. The quality of the people at the helpdesk, though always friendly, differs.
Sometimes it's not bad to have to replace the Kindle, as worrying about it also takes a lot of time and energy.
Good luck.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:37 AM   #17
r0b0d0c
r0b0d0c began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
That's what I was afraid of. Since getting my new K3, I've been downloading from my Amazon Archives, all the books that I had loaded on my K2, generally in lots of 20-50, and never more than 100, in one night. But now, everything has been slower, accessing books, doing searches, etc., and the freezes with highlighting are lasting 5-10 minutes, rather than 2-3 minutes as it had previously.

It finally finished indexing today, and I'll leave it plugged in overnight, and see what happens.

I'm interested to see whether another hard reboot makes the entire indexing of all books happen again.

Another thing I've noticed is that rather than finish a charging session in several minutes, the yellow light may stay on for a few hours, which is relatively new. All-in-all, it sounds like it may be defective - I'll call Kindle CS on Monday, and see if they have any ideas short of replacement (It's a major PITA to reload all these books ... AGAIN!)

Thanks for the help, desertblues - I'll post back when a solution is found!
r0b0d0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 04:08 AM   #18
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I have my replacement Kindle now and here's my strategy, focused on loading books, as for me that was the one thing I ran into trouble with right away:made it unstable.

Now I have started from scratch, so I know exactly where I am, if something goes wrong. By loading small batches I try to keep some control over the process.

I load about 50/150 books in one go---leave it to charge--check once in a while if the indexing has finished (with random search xhfbdsk etc. gives the number still to be indexed)--if I see one book is indexing more than half an hour (a 'normal' book); I deleted it via Calibre--once I've checked indexing is done, I start the next batch....and so on.
I think it's best not to do anything on the Kindle while indexing a load of books, and only load other ones when you're sure the indexing has been done.
Also look sharp at the upper left top of the Kindle, the spinning wheel; it also gives an indication wether the Kindle is still working on something. You don't want to do several things while that's spinning.

I know it's rather troublesome, but my Kindle seems to be good now. I've loaded appr. 500 books .

Good luck. And phone twice with Amazon if you think you can get better/faster replacement. It worked for me from 9 weeks to 3 days (overseas!). Really; I was amazed, surprised and glad at that speed of delivery.

Last edited by desertblues; 11-26-2010 at 04:15 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #19
mypolar
Enthusiast
mypolar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505 Yeah! Palm Tungesten E2
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0b0d0c View Post
My K3 has started acting up as some of you have reported. I have about 1,200 books loaded, and it's recently started doing repeated spontaneous restarts. When I checked how many were indexing, ALL of them were, last night! The number kept coming down as I'd recheck a "nonsense search," until only 30 were still indexing tonight. It did a couple of spontaneous restarts again, so I did a manual reboot, and now ALL 1,200 books are again "indexing!" Should that happen with a reboot? Or is this 1-1/2 month old Kindle ready for a replacement? (Sure hate to do that, since it means reloading lots of books, and making another 30 "collections," which is time consuming...)

Before this, my only problem was the Kindle "freezing" after doing a "highlight." After 2 or 3 highlights, the screen would freeze for about 5 min, then back to normal.

Never had any problems with my K2 or K1......
I feel your pain :-) Sounds like the same problem I was having before my first replacement. Just
a tip make sure you back up your Kindle document folder on a computer since
this was how Amazon helped me to get all my books back ,including non Amazon
books( if you need it replaced).Once Amazon downloaded my Collection folders
they were all empty until I registered and reregisted my Kindle then all books and collections were back to normal. I have not upgraded to 3.03 yet on my new replacement since felt it might have caused my problems. I have had no more reindexing since tried to make sure my 3G or wifi is off before doing it,I make sure nothing is downloading and I,m more patient when it stalls for 30 to 45 sec when highlighting to let it finish what it is doing behind the scenes.
mypolar is offline   Reply With Quote