Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 11-27-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Photo of STAReBOOK that for once isn't a mockup

A couple of days ago the official eRead/STAReBOOK website went online (http://www.stareread.com/en/reader.html). The photos look like Photoshop mockups, but the attached photos I found at Akihabaranews look like the real thing.

Don't you agree that the menu interface looks rather cool?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STAReBOOK_1_jpg.jpg
Views:	1257
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	2279   Click image for larger version

Name:	STAReBOOK_2_jpg.jpg
Views:	1349
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	2280  
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The menu is rather esthetically pleasing, isn't it?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2006, 05:07 AM   #3
jashsu
Connoisseur
jashsu doesn't litterjashsu doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, Oasis 2
That is a pretty thin device! The only concern is maybe they should have put a little more thought into the placement of page turn-buttons. I certainly hope the ones on the edge of the device aren't meant for turns o_o
jashsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:24 AM   #4
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
How about introducing more about the STK format?
Thanks a lot.
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:33 AM   #5
alfredjsw
alfredjsw began at the beginning.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by segatang
How about introducing more about the STK format?
Thanks a lot.
AS I know, stk format is a ebook format which eREAD develop for their online reader and STAReBOOK. please refer to www.stareread.com.
Users can transfer text, doc, html, jpg, bmp, flash, pdf..etc. into stk format.
STK is a weapon for eREAD to protect their copyright. You know, in China is not easy to do that, too much fake there.
Please download a eREAD (online reader) and STK maker from their offical website, and you will see how it work. In my opinion, its really interesting.
alfredjsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2006, 11:16 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredjsw
STK is a weapon for eREAD to protect their copyright. You know, in China is not easy to do that, too much fake there.
That's very interesting, alfredjsw.

If eREAD is trying to "protect their copyright" with the STK format, does that mean they're paying those who hold the copyrights for all that free content they keep talking about? Or is that free content all Public Domain?

I do think that the copyright laws need some overhauling, but I also think that those who generate the material should expect to profit from their labor. I would be quite interested to learn that eREAD is respecting the rights of others, nobody has been willing to suggest that so far.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:21 PM   #7
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
And, the STK creator software still can't be downloaded..at least I can't seem to get anything apart from thte eRead 3.0 software that can't make files...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:46 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Frigging hell.. another f*cking ebook format. That's just what we need. An ereader that will make it hard to purchase ebooks. The reason I purchased my Sony Reader was because of the wonderful tools out there for converting content so I am not stuck with getting content just from the Connect Store. So until people actual make useful tools for this, it will tank.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
The reader from "Les Echos" is now available in France: http://www.lesechos.fr/epaper/techniques-eread.htm

Same OEM but the format support is a lot better: .PDF, .TXT, .JPG, .HTML

We can expect (in Europe at least), much better firmwares and format support, with the same OEM hardware.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:15 AM   #10
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I'd like to get the firmware for that one...it should run without problems on my STAReBOOK since it's identical hardware and might be better suited for displaying European text...and the format support is also cool.

Anyoe know whether there are any firmware updates for that one available?
Old 05-18-2007, 07:47 AM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
I'd like to get the firmware for that one...it should run without problems on my STAReBOOK since it's identical hardware and might be better suited for displaying European text...and the format support is also cool.

Anyoe know whether there are any firmware updates for that one available?
I'm not in touch with Les Echos yet (eventhough I should be...), but I'll ask on a few french blogs/websites, maybe I'll find something interesting for your device.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:40 AM   #12
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Thanks. My french is a bit rusty so I'd have hard time understanding what's going on there...^^
Old 05-18-2007, 08:45 AM   #13
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
Thanks. My french is a bit rusty so I'd have hard time understanding what's going on there...^^
Well from Europe, you can expect a few other firmware with the same OEM hardware. In a few months, this hardware might be the one supporting the most different formats (at least if you can find a way to flash it with the other firmwares).
Old 05-18-2007, 10:10 AM   #14
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

I just received a first answer to my questions: it seems that the reader from Les Echos have a few different hardware parts compared to the STAReREAD one. I don't know exactly if in this case, the same firmware could work.

Ganaxa is responsible for the work on this reader: http://www.ganaxa.com/indexen.html
They might know if you could use their firmware on your reader...
Old 05-18-2007, 03:26 PM   #15
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Thanks for trying to find stuff out.
I really can't imagine that there is any different hardware in that same frame...but who knows...
I've sent email to my contact at Stareread and will see what they say (if anything).