Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #16
grissley
Enthusiast
grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-950sc
Bookworm_Girl - let's forget about annotations for a while and concentrate on highlighting ('cause I got a little confused ).
Here's an exemplary rtf page from one of the books:

In each book I read I'm highlighting a lot (just a few words here, 10 sentences elsewhere etc). One option is to export those highlights (just them) to a file - and, if I get you well, that makes no problem in both devices (although there are differences).
But what about exporting the whole book to e.g. an rtf file, with the highlights like the one above (or any other type of marker/bookmark)? Is it possible?

Last edited by grissley; 11-18-2010 at 04:55 PM.
grissley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #17
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Grissley,

I purchased the 650 for highlighting and note taking qualities. Warning: they are limited. The highlighted stuff and notes on the page will transfer to your desktop via the Reader software. You'll open the ebook you highlighted and made notes in on your laptop/desktop and walla, there they are. The annotations can be downloaded via rtf file complete with your highlighted sections (assuming the book allows that). I only use open epub and PDF files myself so there is no problem with it.

I was hoping that handwritten notes would be downloadable via image file (ie jpg) but no such luck. I liked that the highlights show up as grey and not just underlined (which is what the Kindle 3 does).

No one really explained that to me and you can't test this stuff at the store. All in all usable but not perfect.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
grissley, I am sorry to have confused you. In my other post just substitute the word annotation with highlight and forget I ever mentioned the word annotation.

I understand your question. In your example, only the first 100 letters would export to a file on the Sony. It wouldn't export the whole block of data. The Kindle would export the whole amount of your highlight.

Neither the Kindle nor the Sony will let you print the whole book or even a subset of pages. All you can print is your highlights. Hope that helps!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #19
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just to further clarify the 100 character limit is per highlight. So if you have 5 highlights in your book then you will see 5 highlights exported to the file. It's just that you might not see all the text of each highlight.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #20
grissley
Enthusiast
grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-950sc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
grissley, I am sorry to have confused you. In my other post just substitute the word annotation with highlight and forget I ever mentioned the word annotation.
thanks - now it's clear

Quote:
only the first 100 letters would export to a file on the Sony. It wouldn't export the whole block of data. The Kindle would export the whole amount of your highlight.
But for not protected books, both devices will export the whole block?

Quote:
Neither the Kindle nor the Sony will let you print the whole book or even a subset of pages. All you can print is your highlights. Hope that helps!
Thank you very much - that helps a lot.
Although it's a pity I won't be able to have the whole (e)book with highlights inside
Anyway, if it's the same in one and another, it makes it a not important variable when choosing the reader.
grissley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #21
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

In my experience there is no limitation to how much text you can export when the book is not DRM protected. I have exported whole paragraphs of text ok in that case.