Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #16
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteseal View Post
Congrats on your purchase! Note though that the 505 is an older model - I wonder how the performance and screen compares to the newer Sonys?
Should be the same screen performance since they're the same screens and the new Sony devices do not use an optically degrading touch layer anymore. Since I stick to custom PDFs and almost never make use of the other functions, I felt that the price-performance ratio of the Kindle was better than that of the Sony devices--especially as I was not expecting a significant improvement in performance. I didn't want to spend the coin a Sony device would command for an incremental upgrade in the areas I felt important. Availability locally was also a small contributing factor.

I'm not doing a comparison of two brands at all. My post was much more about the upgrade from a "classic" older device like the PRS-505 (which was thought by some to be the best of its generation) to a new device with a Pearl display, and how the difference between old and new is quite a bit bigger than some would have me believe. The new Sony devices may well be better for those who want what it brings to the table. My ultimate point was that whether one goes with a new Kindle, a new Sony or some other upcoming, faster Pearl-based reader, the improvement in usability and readability is probably worth an upgrade.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #17
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
kind of like comparing a k1 to a k3
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #18
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your K3.

It might not feel as sturdy but there are many working K1's out and about in the world. Some are three years old. I think that the K3 you bought will last a good long time.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #19
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your K3.

It might not feel as sturdy but there are many working K1's out and about in the world. Some are three years old. I think that the K3 you bought will last a good long time.
I agree with you there. The Kindle doesn't look very sturdy, but it is; always bounces back (touch wood) when it freezes (only sporadical after 3.0.3). I kind of like that.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I thought you didn't like eInk devices, LD. Have you changed your mind about them?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #21
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquire1 View Post
The ability to load books and newspapers wirelessly from calibre is priceless.
What?!! How do you do that?!
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #22
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The ability to email items from calibre is priceless! neonbible, first make sure you download the latest version of calibre. Then in Preferences there is a category to setup Email Delivery. Don't forget to add the calibre email to your approved addresses in Manage Your Kindle at the amazon website.

You can also setup instapaper.com to email the news to your Kindle Wi-fi for free. They only email to kindle.com and not free.kindle.com.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 11-08-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #23
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Does that include emailing mobi books? And it will include all the Calibre meta data?
Old 11-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #24
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Yes, I think you can email mobi books from what I've read. I suggest you search the forum as I recall several recent threads on this topic. I have only used the email feature with Fetch News. I haven't tried it with books yet.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #25
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
Does that include emailing mobi books? And it will include all the Calibre meta data?
Yes. Any book in Calibre can be emailed to your Kindle.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #26
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I thought you didn't like eInk devices, LD. Have you changed your mind about them?
As my original post stated, the move to Pearl is a big enough improvement that I'm fairly satisfied with the readability of my fiction PDFs. I still won't be doing much of anything else with the K3, but for that specific usage scenario, I'm pretty pleased. When NaNoWriMo is out of the way, I will probably resume making PDFs, and may even put a few Chinese ones together now that the fonts are fairly readable and the effort feels like less of a waste.

I'll probably never be an EPD fanboy, and I certainly don't think Pearl is incredible, but the readability is now good enough that I'll buy fewer paperbacks, assuming I can build relatively hassle-free PDFs of them somehow. Were the native files decent-looking, I'd even consider ceasing my paperback fiction purchases altogether.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #27
neonbible
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Yes. Any book in Calibre can be emailed to your Kindle.
That is excellent. I don't really like plugging it into my computer, and charging only needs to happen once a month.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #28
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Just be aware that emailing the book means that the file will be run through Amazon's conversion process (even if the book is already in mobi format) and some metadata is changed but nothing that affects the title and author.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote