Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #46
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Forgive my skepticism but WiFi aside, LCD backlights are notoriously power hungry and the listed battery capacity, while generous for an eink device, is not *that* hefty.
24hrs sounds... overly ambitious for an Android Webpad/color reader...
On a device like that 6-8 hrs is far more common.

Still worth buying if the reader software is a port from the eink line, even at 6-8 hrs, but at 24hrs you should be holding press conferences and listing it in 64pt helvetica bold.

Just sayin' that kind of battery life would be a selling point to brag about not something hidden in the specsheet.
I think I've found the answer. This tablet is basically a Pandigital Novel/Cruz (but with the Pocketbook software!). The Cruz lists its battery life as up to 10 hours reading or 24 hrs on "standby."

http://b4tea.com/information/review-...roid-2-1-slate

So, you're right. No way we'll get to read that long. But if it delivers 10 (or even 6-8), it is still a good deal at 140.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #47
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by emai7s2 View Post
Taxes. Blame your own governments. Most of Europe charges a VAT of about 20%, whereas online shopping in the US is (still) largely tax free. Generous child-support payments, early retirement, universal access to high-quality health care and tuition-free universities, etc., all have to be paid for somehow. Gasoline prices in Europe are about 4 times higher than in the US for the same reason. Everything has its trade-offs.
well, the income tax is pretty high (increases gradually with the amount of income) and I'm ok with that because I know that it supports the things you mentioned. With products, I'm a bit picky because I already pay high income tax.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 02:28 PM   #48
emini_guy
emini_guy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
I think I've found the answer. This tablet is basically a Pandigital Novel/Cruz (but with the Pocketbook software!). The Cruz lists its battery life as up to 10 hours reading or 24 hrs on "standby."

http://b4tea.com/information/review-...roid-2-1-slate

So, you're right. No way we'll get to read that long. But if it delivers 10 (or even 6-8), it is still a good deal at 140.
I doubt it. Pandigital has a resistive touch screen (or it feels like that from my own experience; less responsive that iPad), IQ is supposed to have a capacitive screen.

But if you are right, I would not buy IQ because the Pandigital screen is pretty slow and you will get annoyed with it real fast.
emini_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #49
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
just google it, and it's been mentioned here before:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=103403 (2nd post)

but that's cool if they've improved the screen.
I'm getting one.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #50
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by emini_guy View Post
But if you are right, I would not buy IQ because the Pandigital screen is pretty slow and you will get annoyed with it real fast.
The general consensus on the Novel was that the hardware was promising but the software, especially the B&N Reader app, was severely lacking. PD simply chose to move on rather than try to refine the software.
There is nothing inherently bad about the hardware itself; it certainly has CPU, RAM, and screen resolution comparable to the new eink readers. How good the IQ turns out to be is really up to the GiK's.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #51
katzki
Zealot
katzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs 650
I cannot believe that IQ has a capacitive touch screen.
Since its hardware is just same as that of pandigital novel or cruz reader, I guess it employed a resistive touch screen. For $140 bucks, that's reasonable.
katzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:12 AM   #52
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzki View Post
I cannot believe that IQ has a capacitive touch screen.
Even though it's quoted in several places?

Oh well. I'd just like a cheap colour ereader, fanciful extras optional, and the IQ looks like a good fit. From my understanding also, the hardware is sufficient but the software wasn't necessarily optimised for the PDN. Since the IQ is supposed to use Pocketbook's own software for reading ebooks, fine by me.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:31 AM   #53
katzki
Zealot
katzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post

Oh well. I'd just like a cheap colour ereader, fanciful extras optional, and the IQ looks like a good fit. From my understanding also, the hardware is sufficient but the software wasn't necessarily optimised for the PDN. Since the IQ is supposed to use Pocketbook's own software for reading ebooks, fine by me.
I already pre-ordered PB IQ even though I thought it has resistive touch screen It was still fair to me considering its hardware and its Pocketbook reading software as you mentioned. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #54
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post

24 hrs battery life was also quoted.

Simple rule of thumb for touch devices: unless the vendor *explicitly* lists capacitance-touch or Wacom digitizers, assume the screen will be resistive. As an owner/user of multiple PocketPCs over the last decade I *know* resistive touch screens can be smooth and responsive--with the right software. Without it...no-go.

A tad of market familiarity helps, as a 2010 gadget selling at US$140 is most unlikely to bear expensive features like capacitance touch screens, 3G, GHz CPUs, etc. The likely price point for even the cheapest webpad with those features currently runs at US$250-300. And double that is just as likely.

Pocketbook has made it clear the IQ is positioned as a color Reader.
Any other value we can extract from it beyond that (web surfing, email, games, media playback) is strictly above-and-beyond the call of duty. Barnes & Noble is doing the same thing with their NookColor Android pad; positioning it as a reader not a webpad/mediapad. (Of course, they take it beyond "positioning" by locking it down so it *can't* be used in "non-approved fashion. Pocketbook has stated the IQ won't be locked down like that.)

Buying it solely as a color reader and being pleasantly surprised that it can do some extra features is better than buying it for the extra features and being disappointed.

For me the buy/no-buy decision will be driven by the extent of "Pocketbook-ishness" of the software. The closer it replicates PB360 features and behavior, the more likely I'll be to jump at it in december.

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-30-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #55
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Simple rule of thumb for touch devices: unless the vendor *explicitly* lists capacitance-touch or Wacom digitizers, assume the screen will be resistive. ... A tad of market familiarity helps, as a 2010 gadget selling at US$140 is most unlikely to bear expensive features like capacitance touch screens, 3G, GHz CPUs, etc.
Oh, I don't expect it to do everything under the sun for its price, indeed, it's the price that appeals to me. I see I'm probably confused then, as a store I'm looking at purchasing the IQ from lists it as having a 7" capacitive touch LCD. Anyway, unless the resistive touchscreen proves to be difficult to use, the type of touch won't make any difference to me.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #56
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I must apologize to everyone for the misinformation. I had read something incorrectly when preparing the IQ site. The touch is indeed Resistive and NOT capacitive. I have just made the necessary correction to the IQ page.

Apologies for the error.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:35 AM   #57
katzki
Zealot

Time passes too slowly...
How many days are left before the products arrive in the USA?
Old 11-02-2010, 07:24 AM   #58
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Tick...tick...tick...
Old 11-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #59
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
It's my understanding that the first shipment of 602,902 and IQ are in the States today . Shipping should begin next week after some quality checks etc.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #60
katzki
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
It's my understanding that the first shipment of 602,902 and IQ are in the States today . Shipping should begin next week after some quality checks etc.
So... I guess you are now checking the quality of the new devices. When can I expect you to be ready for shipment to US customers?