Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #16
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
at those prices!

I for one would love to see a video demonstration of the IQ. The e-ink devices were presented at the Frankfurt book fair, but if I remember correctly, the IQ was not (or I haven't been able to find it).
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #17
dainys
dainys began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook G3-> PB 360-> PB Pro 902 (preordered)
There was the same situation when I was buying my first reader from Bookeen 4 years ago, Cybook G3 in US also was significantly cheaper then in Europe. And also was a lot of discusion why. As I notice ALL things in US are cheaper, not only e'readers.
dainys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #18
dainys
dainys began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook G3-> PB 360-> PB Pro 902 (preordered)
P.S
Hope that poketgoods.de will start shipping them in first week of November as promissed...
dainys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #19
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
This has been debated 'round these parts ad infinitum.
It comes down to the fact that the cost of running a business and delivering a product to the customer (while making a decent profit) is lower in NorthAm and that currency exchange does not tell the whole story.

Pocketbook isn't doing anything any other electronics vendor isn't doing.
It is what it is.

Plus, and I guess that accounts for the very steep difference in this case, they are trying to break into a market with really strong competitors ...

(But there will be another discussion. Did start already. There are always new people who have to come to terms with this.)

Last edited by beachwanderer; 10-27-2010 at 09:46 AM.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #20
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
Pre-orders just started for 902, 602 and IQ on our website.

From what I know, the first lot of new models has been yesterday shipped out from China and will hit US soil in couple of weeks.

FOLKS, THE NEW MODELS HAS NOT BEEN SHIPPED FROM FOXCONN FACTORY IN CHINA YET, WE DON'T KNOW EXACT DATE AS OF TODAY WHEN THEY DO. QUITE POSSIBLY, IN COUPLE OF DAYS.

WE (POCKETBOOK USA) WILL KEEP YOU IN THE LOOP.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #21
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
nice!

I've been toying with the idea of picking up a refurbed DX, but that's crazy compared to a new Pocket Book.

How is the PDF support? Can it handle largish files (20MB scans where the text is just images)? Can you annotate? Search? Dictionary?

I might have to hold out for Xmas (or worst case, tax refund), but unless someone release an excellent tablet at this price or lower, I think this is the way I'll go. (had been worried this would come in at 400 like the new DX)
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #22
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
nice!

I've been toying with the idea of picking up a refurbed DX, but that's crazy compared to a new Pocket Book.

How is the PDF support? Can it handle largish files (20MB scans where the text is just images)? Can you annotate? Search? Dictionary?

I might have to hold out for Xmas (or worst case, tax refund), but unless someone release an excellent tablet at this price or lower, I think this is the way I'll go. (had been worried this would come in at 400 like the new DX)
PDF support: it's the best out there. We're not ashamed to say that and we are able to prove it.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #23
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
This has been debated 'round these parts ad infinitum.
It comes down to the fact that the cost of running a business and delivering a product to the customer (while making a decent profit) is lower in NorthAm and that currency exchange does not tell the whole story.

Pocketbook isn't doing anything any other electronics vendor isn't doing.
It is what it is.
Currency exchange is not the only part, obviously. However, production cost is the same for both models.

I for one am still interested in buying the device, just not in Europe. Guess I will get it for Christmas when my girlfriend is coming back. I don't mind.
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #24
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
I bought my iRex from USA at it was almost 150 euro cheaper than the European model (I leave/work in Europe), I'm pretty sure that if I am going to buy a Pocketbook 903 I will do it from US, if the price difference would be at least 100 euro. Don't know the economical reasons, but it's crazy to pay almost a third of the price more for EXACTLY the same product.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #25
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSSM View Post
Currency exchange is not the only part, obviously. However, production cost is the same for both models.
Of course.
But shipping costs aren't.
Packaging costs.
Marketting costs. Import duties (if any). Labor costs. Warehousing costs.
Inventory financing.
Warehouse-to-consumer shipping.
Warranty fulfillment.

It takes a lot more to run a business than a web server, a box of product, and a checking account.

Even inside the US there is variation in costs; witness the migration of automobile manufacturing from the midwest to the southern states. Or the migration of book sales from small family-owned businesses to mall chain stores to the superstore chains to online and now to ebooks. Same product delivered in different places at different costs.
Some business models are cheaper than others.
The same applies to social contracts.

Doesn't make one better than the other; just... different.

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-27-2010 at 12:50 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #26
Krzych Ayanami
Enthusiast
Krzych Ayanami began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 903 (soon!)
I bough 903 in Pockegoods, and that was my first preorder.
That will be also last - next time I wait for ebay. There is no reason to pay more just because I live in Europe.

I would cancel my order if I could buy something else.

Krzych Ayanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #27
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
PDF support: it's the best out there. We're not ashamed to say that and we are able to prove it.
Does that include highlighting and note taking?

Thanks,
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #28
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
The cost of doing business in Europe is much higher for the most part than in US. Everyone has a family to feed and you should always support your local businesses when you can.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #29
Mumin
Mumin began at the beginning.

Device: Palm IIIxe, HTC wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
you should always support your local businesses when you can.
Just to clarify: Are we talking about people from Romania, Poland, Holland, Greece or Spain? Buying Ukrainian product made in China? And the supposed "local business" is located in Germany?
Mumin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #30
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
ooh, rethinking the 902 on my limited budget (and patience since I'd have to save).

might just snatch up an IQ
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote