Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-12-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
jdh
Enthusiast
jdh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle3, Voyage
Documentation for new 505 firmware?

This is my first post, and I'll start by saying hello, and especially thanks to all of you who post ebooks on this site. I just finished reading "The Well at the Worlds End" posted here by BenG and enjoyed it a lot.

Is there any documentation on the new 505 firmware? I installed it but it didn't come with a new user manual, and I didn't see any reference to documentation in the large 27 page new firmware thread on this site.

I know it's working because I uploaded an ePub book (courtesy of FeedBooks) to the 505 and can read it. All my interfacing to the reader is just copying files to it with Windows Explorer, so if the new documentation is buried in "eBook Library" I will have missed it. Maybe there isn't much to document. Using ePub books seems pretty straightforward, but I was hoping for new fonts, a hierarchical file system, and perhaps a dictionary. And I still hope some of those features are in the firmware, undiscovered so far by me.
jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:42 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Nope, no new new fonts, a hierarchical file system, or a dictionary.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
This is a link to the Sony eSupport page for the update. Not much information, but it's all I see. Hopefully this information will help you.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:28 AM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
This is my first post, and I'll start by saying hello, and especially thanks to all of you who post ebooks on this site. I just finished reading "The Well at the Worlds End" posted here by BenG and enjoyed it a lot.

Is there any documentation on the new 505 firmware? I installed it but it didn't come with a new user manual, and I didn't see any reference to documentation in the large 27 page new firmware thread on this site.

I know it's working because I uploaded an ePub book (courtesy of FeedBooks) to the 505 and can read it. All my interfacing to the reader is just copying files to it with Windows Explorer, so if the new documentation is buried in "eBook Library" I will have missed it. Maybe there isn't much to document. Using ePub books seems pretty straightforward, but I was hoping for new fonts, a hierarchical file system, and perhaps a dictionary. And I still hope some of those features are in the firmware, undiscovered so far by me.
Concerning fonts: you can embed fonts very easily in an ePub file.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:53 PM   #5
jdh
Enthusiast
jdh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Concerning fonts: you can embed fonts very easily in an ePub file.
I notice that Feedbooks offers font selection for custom PDFs. Is there also a font selection option for ePub?
jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
505, firmware