Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 03:48 AM   #1
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Observations on the 350 and 650

After using a PRS-350 for a while and finally getting my PRS-650, I have a few observations. First, both readers are much better than previous generations, both the screens and the functionality.

As others have commented and even posted pictures/videos, the Pearl screen is noticeably better in terms of contrast. It is still far from the contrast of real paper, but it is finally good enough for my eyes.

I still have a few nits to pick about the firmware, but overall, the feature set is far better than other readers I have tried. The IR touchscreen is a great solution to the problems inherent in other touchscreens, which obscure the display. The built-in dictionaries are high quality and very much appreciated. The only thing I could wish for here is more dictionaries that I could download to the reader.

As for the differences between the 350 and the 650, that extra inch of screen on the 650 makes a huge difference in readability. I didn't like the silver color of the 350. Even though it is a a matte silver, I found it too reflective. I much prefer the matte black of the 650. You can still get some reflections off of the shiny trim, but most of the time it isn't an issue.

The 650 adds card slots for SD and Memory Stick, but with so much internal memory, I don't know if I'll ever use them. Still, it's nice to have the option.

Other than a few small areas where I think the firmware needs improvement, I think that these new Sony readers are worth the extra money, compared to the competition. Not that I wouldn't have liked a lower price. Although Sony has been known to make a few large blunders with products in the past, these new readers continue the tradition of quality-built Sony products that we have come to expect.

Speaking of the competition, there is one reader that I did not even consider, even though it also has the Pearl screen. That is the Kindle. Why? Because I don't like Amazon's attempted vendor lock-in and other practices. I also didn't want to be stuck with a dying ebook format that has been around far too long. Everyone but Amazon supports epub. This gives me more choice.

I did have some problems with Sony over the order. I won't go into details, but I feel that Sony should have let me know that they thought there was a problem with the order, rather than shipping the cover and not shipping the reader. They just silently cancelled the second half of the order without notifying me. The reader had to be reordered later. When asked about this, they basically shrugged their shoulders and disclaimed any responsibility, other than finally sending the reader. Poor customer service, good product.

One final observation. I like the lighted cover that I got for my 650 very much (I got a red one for my black reader). However, with the lighter weight of the new readers, the cover seems to weigh as much as the reader. It makes a very noticeable difference when reading with and without the cover.

Joe

Last edited by jgray; 10-29-2010 at 03:54 AM.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:06 AM   #2
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I have to agree with you on everything but one point: I have both 350 and 650 and I don't feel the readability is poorer on the 350. As a matter of fact, I now spend more time reading on the 350 than I do on the 650.

But really, Sony made fantastic products this time around. I too think the price is high but have to admit you still get very good value for the money, the best I think for the time being on the market. And yes, good products but poor customer service (although they are OK when repairing the readers, they just have a very bad hotline and logistics department I feel).
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
I thought I would never buy a Sony ebook reader but after seeing the included dictionaries on the PRS-650, I just had to get it. They are very good dictionaries and work very well. The workmanship of the reader and the cover just exudes quality. I agree that the software can be improved. I would like to be able to add my own fonts and be able to read Chinese and Japanese on it which it cannot do now.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
Hi. Can you tell me if the stylus on the 350 is the same on the 650? Thanks.
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaenSidhe View Post
Identical size but different colour and head (plastic for 350, metal for 650)
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Then it could be that the breakage comes from the flimsier plastic, as opposed to metal?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Then it could be that the breakage comes from the flimsier plastic, as opposed to metal?
It could be. I like the 650 stylus better myself.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: sony prs-650!
i definitely agree about the weight of the lighted cover. .66 lbs it adds, as opposed to .33 lbs for the unlighted cover. One of the best things about the 650 is the new lighter weight, so it seems counterproductive. That said, the light on it works marvelously well.
ebooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:43 AM   #9
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
My 350 is on its way and I can't wait. I read on a 505 now and I can't wait to have even one dictionary! I'm also excited to have the translation dictionaries. I hope there's a French one. I've read quite a few books where the author uses a "common" French phrase that I've never heard.

I am irritated that it doesn't come with a cover. My 505 cover broke (the plastic thingy) a week ago, and I hate having a naked reader lying around. I love my kitty, but I don't trust him (typical guy). I'll probably knit a cover, but I would love to have a book-like one like what I got with the 505.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:01 AM   #10
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
My 350 is on its way and I can't wait. I read on a 505 now and I can't wait to have even one dictionary! I'm also excited to have the translation dictionaries. I hope there's a French one. I've read quite a few books where the author uses a "common" French phrase that I've never heard.
Yes, French and several other translation dictionaries are included. I wish they had also included one for Latin. You see so many French and Latin quotes in books.

The American and British English dictionaries are very good. I've used them several times already. When reading something from a British author, it's very handy to switch from the American dictionary. We really are "Two nations separated by a common language."

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:10 AM   #11
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
When reading something from a British author, it's very handy to switch from the American dictionary. We really are "Two nations separated by a common language."
Oh, my. I just read Christopher Hitchens's memoir (Hitch-22), and I had a lot of trouble with it. I can usually understand him, but I got the feeling that he wrote this for a British audience. He name-dropped endless people I had never heard of, spoke of common objects using words I didn't know and used colloquialisms that made me scratch my head. It was a tough read. Someone should translate it into American English.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #12
envy
Brown Eyed Girl
envy doesn't litterenvy doesn't litter

Device: Sony Prs 600, Nook, Sony prs 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Identical size but different colour and head (plastic for 350, metal for 650)
I've been wanting to know that about the 650 myself.

I brought my 350 the other day, but I could not get over the plastic/flimsy looking stylus, so I was gonna return it, until my friend decided that she wanted to buy it off of me.

Now, I'm just lying in wait until the 650 goes down to at least $200
envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #13
zmix
Connoisseur
zmix began at the beginning.

Device: none
Both the PRS350 and the PRS650 have a screen resolution of 600x800 pixels, so the amount of visible text should be identical between these two.

The 5" PRS350 screen has a resolution of 200 dots per inch and the 6" PRS650 screen has a resolution of 160 dots per inch. This may give the PRS350 the advantage in sharpness.
zmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #14
extendedping
Enthusiast
extendedping began at the beginning.

questions...

1)do you have to go a page at a time on the 350/650 or can you scroll to see different parts of the page. I ask because I have a kindle that I am using mostly to read computer books. it is annoying when code spans 2 pages and your only option is to go back and fourth between pages. I saw a video of someone on youtube on the sony quickly flicking between pages and I could not tell it that was between pages on scrollin g down a part of a page.

2) I hate using the toc on the kindle, very cumbersome and you need to use it constantly on computer books. how easy is accessing the toc using the 350/650 touch screen.

thanks for listening, btw I know you can't actually scroll on e ink but I guess I am trying to see regarding the first question, if you can move a portion of a page at a time, as opposed to only being able to so a page at a time.

finally, can someone confirm that oreilly press books are ok on the device?
extendedping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #15
zmix
Connoisseur
zmix began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaenSidhe View Post
The stylus are identical, aluminum shaft and plastic tips. The PRS650 has a chrome looking plastic, which is probably why previous posters here have stated it is "metal", but it is not.
zmix is offline   Reply With Quote