Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 02-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #181
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i will take a look at that too ; i don't know Rinehart and i am always happy to find new (old) mystery writers...
Rinehart is worthwhile. You might also look at Anna Katherine Green. Her father was a judge, and she grew up around judges, lawyers, and police. Her stories are authentic as to the police procedures of the time, and legally accurate. Her first novel, The Leavenworth Case, sold 750,000 copies, and was used by Yale University to demonstrate the fallacy of circumstantial evidence. She was one of the first women to succeed as a writer of mystery fiction, and produced 40 books.

Her language is stilted and formal by our standards, but her stories hold up fairly well.

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/g#a541

http://www.munseys.com/detail/mode/a...atherine_green
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #182
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thanks for the suggestion, i will add Anna Katherine Green to my list as well. i'm not afraid of stilted language, if the story is good i can usually get past it.

i think i will start with Rinehart though, she sounds good to me ! (but first i have to finish my current book). i just made an imp format of "The Man in Lower Ten" so i will be starting with that.

i read her bio on wikipedia ; she sounds like an amazing woman, i'm glad to have found out about her. i can't beleive there was another agatha christie out there all this time and i never heard of her.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2008, 10:45 PM   #183
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In MOST cases, hand crafted conversions will be better then automated scripts. Munsey's LRF conversions are dreadful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #184
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In MOST cases, hand crafted conversions will be better then automated scripts. Munsey's LRF conversions are dreadful.
I'll take your word for it. If you have suggestions on doing it better, drop a note Munsey's admin. AFAIK, he's not as automated as Manybooks - he does conversions manually on an XP box, and FTPs the results to the Munseys server. I think he'd be receptive to process improvement suggestions.
______
Dennis
Old 02-09-2008, 06:26 PM   #185
bookwoman
bookwoman began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs500
Hi! I'm a total newbie with a Sony prs500 from the promotion a couple of months ago. I'd like to download a couple of books from Gutenberg but I haven't got a clue about how to download or convert them, especially since they are from a "Build a Book" initiative and all that's on the Gutenberg site are individual chapters (48 in the first book alone). The books are "The Semi-Attached Couple" and "The Semi-Detached House" by Emily Eden, who wrote a while after Jane Austen and is supposed to have a style somewhat like hers. The books are out of print so I'd really like to get an ebook version. I'm hoping maybe some very kind person would be interested in reading them and posting them here!

By the way, I am nervous about downloading the libprs500 program because I read in the FAQs that it interferes with the Sony software, which I would like to keep. Is that true? Is there a simpler way to convert HTML to Sony format? Thanks to all of you for all the books you post and helpful advice you provide. This is a wonderful website!
bookwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2008, 11:01 PM   #186
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwoman View Post
Hi! I'm a total newbie with a Sony prs500 from the promotion a couple of months ago. I'd like to download a couple of books from Gutenberg but I haven't got a clue about how to download or convert them, especially since they are from a "Build a Book" initiative and all that's on the Gutenberg site are individual chapters (48 in the first book alone). The books are "The Semi-Attached Couple" and "The Semi-Detached House" by Emily Eden, who wrote a while after Jane Austen and is supposed to have a style somewhat like hers. The books are out of print so I'd really like to get an ebook version. I'm hoping maybe some very kind person would be interested in reading them and posting them here!

I'm about to upload The Semi-Attached Couple. I'll do the other one tomorrow. They weren't on Project Gutenberg, but on the 'A Celebration of Women Writers' website.

There are several ways of joining up books that are in sections. I usually download the first section then open it in Word and copy and paste the rest into it, chapter by chapter. Then I edit it. This one needed some spelling corrections and I added curly quotes and emdashes.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #187
bookwoman
bookwoman began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs500
Smile Emily Eden books

Thank you, Patricia! You are extremely kind to donate your time in this way. If I ever manage to understand the software, I will try to upload some books myself as a way of passing on the favor.
bookwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:15 PM   #188
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
You are very welcome, bookwoman.
Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:16 PM   #189
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I see that the translator died in 1942, and Gandhi died in 1948. Canadian copyright law is life+50. We can host this ebook.
I have today posted a second book (Hind Swaraj) by Gandhi that was translated by the same person (Mahadev Desai) assuming that it is legal to do so for the same reason as before.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:04 PM   #190
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz View Post
I don't know if this has already been requested, but I would suggest the illustrated
Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog). It's a classic.
i've just posted an .imp format of this book (which is indeed a classic, and one of my favorites). The book was already available here, but without the illustrations.

If anyone wants to make a different format, i can share my html file (which is not perfect, but acceptable... it could stand a bit more cleaning, if i / someone else have the time), just let me know.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:23 AM   #191
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Does anybody here have (or know how to get) the diary of John Evelyn? All I've managed to dig up is a pretty bad OCRed text on archive.org (alternatively the scanned pages are also available), all other sources have come up empty. It doesn't really have to be an ebook format, I'm willing to do the conversion work myself, given a usable text source.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:59 AM   #192
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Does anybody here have (or know how to get) the diary of John Evelyn? All I've managed to dig up is a pretty bad OCRed text on archive.org (alternatively the scanned pages are also available), all other sources have come up empty. It doesn't really have to be an ebook format, I'm willing to do the conversion work myself, given a usable text source.
Try

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/LeftB...4/ed_hold.html

or

ftp://ftp.cac.psu.edu/pub/humanities/John_Evelyn/
______
Dennis
Old 02-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #193
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Thanks, that's pretty much what I had in mind. I'll go ahead and convert these to Mobipocket, should anyone be interested, I could upload them here.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:54 AM   #194
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I would like to request a BBeB version of the CIA World Factbook. I tried doing a quick conversion myself using html2lrf but the tables are not fun to deal with...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:40 AM   #195
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do you think they're going to be more fun for someone else? . Sorry, but some of these things just ARE hard work.

A MobiPocket conversion would probably be more straightforward, since Mobi Reader does support (simple) HTML tables.

You could always do what I've done with some of my books: make a screen dump of the table in the web browser, and include it as a graphical image in the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote