Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 02:19 AM   #1
thaigreg
Connoisseur
thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.

Device: BeBook/JBL/Kindle 3
Free Books

Hi,

Has anyone checked out this website http://obooko.com/. Lots of free books in numerous categories.

Greg:

Last edited by thaigreg; 10-13-2010 at 02:22 AM.
thaigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:58 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I've been there in the past. As I remember they have a daily limit to how many you can download. Not a bad selection of books in some catagories certainly, but you can only download a certain # within a 24 hr period. At least that's how it was when I was last there.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 03:24 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
So far as I can tell all the books are pdfs.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Are they something you can't get from other sites?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
markbond1007
Connoisseur
markbond1007 doesn't littermarkbond1007 doesn't litter

Device: CyBook Gen3, Sony PRS-600
Another appallingly bad site, relying on minatures of the cover (which are difficult to read) to even attract you into more info about the book is really bad design.

Mark
markbond1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The massive amounts of blocked text on the front page make my eyes bleed.

As markbond said, since I can't read most of the covers in that size, I won't be clicking on them to see what's offered.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbond1007 View Post
Another appallingly bad site, relying on minatures of the cover (which are difficult to read) to even attract you into more info about the book is really bad design.

Mark
I think thats a bit over the top. Just because you dont like the site doesnt make it appalling. There were a number of good books to be had. Its only a matter of clicking on a cover that looks interesting. I for one am grateful to the OP
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwimick View Post
I think thats a bit over the top. Just because you dont like the site doesnt make it appalling. There were a number of good books to be had. Its only a matter of clicking on a cover that looks interesting. I for one am grateful to the OP
Good books have nothing to do with the design of the website, which is difficult to read and navigate. What use is a website that is so difficult to use? What good are the books if you have to click on each one to see what it is? He wasn't attacking the OP, he was just saying that it's a bad design that's difficult to use.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
To be fair, holding the cursor over the image will show you the title (but not the author.) But there seemed to be little of interest. Certainly nothing that I would bother registering for!
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #10
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
I'm not clear what obooko does that smashwords doesn't already do better - especially the UI. All the best luck to them, the more sources I have available to me as a consumer is IMHO a good thing, but I'm not likely to get involved with a site that makes my eyes bleed - and looks like a linkfarm, to boot.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainycat View Post
I'm not clear what obooko does that smashwords doesn't already do better - especially the UI. All the best luck to them, the more sources I have available to me as a consumer is IMHO a good thing, but I'm not likely to get involved with a site that makes my eyes bleed - and looks like a linkfarm, to boot.
Even THAT is an indication of ebook progress! Imagine! The eBook market is finally large enough to exploit!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote